Options

Season 2 of Dr who what do you expect?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat_Eric wrote:
    As long as DT doesn't insist on wearing a kilt (as rumoured). That would just look silly.
    I just don't understand you kilt-haters! :D They're great! You can get the in leather and leopard skin (ok, that's probably a bit much :eek: ) and everything these days! :)
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love him to wear a kilt!!!!! Not all the time though, just sometimes..
  • Options
    oli3032oli3032 Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    I think DT will make a great Doctor who, but as long as there's lots of daleks in the next series I'm not that bothered really. Roll on next week! :D

The Dalek's are my favourite DW baddie too and I can't wait for next week, but I do hope that they don't go over the top with them. They have had three episodes for this series, so maybe next series they should have a break.

I also think they should create some new enemies for the Doctor, although the Slitheen didn't seem to go down too well with fans :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to the Cybermen, I just hope they don't mess it up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    Did I miss this thread? Was just suggesting someone start something like this! Oops!

I don't care what's in it, as long as they stick to only good stories, more monsters, and it scares the kids. No more lame humour.

How about bringing back the Yetis? Watched an old black and white clip on the BBC Who page of the old Yeti (not seen the actual story, so don't know how it played out), and it scared the bejesus out of me! Like an old museum, dark, thunder and lightning, and a Yeti exhibit comes alive... no wonder kids had nightmares!
  • Options
    Michael BootMichael Boot Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stuart62 wrote:
    yes, it will make a pleasant change not to have the lead actor saying that he didn't like the series much as a child.

I'm sure William Hartnell often said that :D:D
  • Options
    shane74shane74 Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not holding out much hope for the new doctor, CE has been a brilliant doctor and very funny as well. I imagine DT will be less funny and more of a pretty boy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    shane74 wrote:
    I'm not holding out much hope for the new doctor, CE has been a brilliant doctor and very funny as well. I imagine DT will be less funny and more of a pretty boy.

I think DT will bring elements that CE was not capable of, the thing with CE is that he is a well established name and drew an audience, in the same way that William Hartnell, and Peter Davison were.

DT really until the start of the year not many people were aware of, and the people that say DT will not be as good dont really know (neither do I BTW) what he is capable of, so to this point I think its a little unfair to draw any likes or dislikes to the guy. The key is to wait. IMHO

I think people thought CE would be more serious, the original 5 second BBC trailers certainly implied it, neither had a smile for the camera. Now when i think of CE I see a slightly retarded big beaming smile before I think of much else, a far distance away from tose original trailers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    I think DT will bring elements that CE was not capable of, the thing with CE is that he is a well established name and drew an audience, in the same way that William Hartnell, and Peter Davison were.

The difference being that although PD is a good actor and seems like a nice chap, he was completely wrong for The Doctor (IMO, obviously!) I think he held hos own and did the best he could and he has got some excellent stories but for me, he just didn't quite fit as The Doctor.

I'd say the same for his two predecessors. PaulMcGann was excellent casting and although CE has been good, there are aspects of his characterisation which haven't been quite right. I think a second sries would have allowed the production team to iron these out but that's not to be.

I'm looking forward to David Tennant - I think he'll be an excellent Doctor.
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shane74 wrote:

Have u not seen Casanova?

And if you're ever seen the episode of Randall and Hopkirk he was in you'll know that DT can be very wacky and funny!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to see the Crybermen in the next series of Doctor Who.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I think this series of DW has been Great.
    Strangly I felt proud when my 8 year old daughter woke up in the early hours of sunday mourning crying I don't want to watch DW again Daddy it's too scary (After watching 'the empty child/ doctor dances) but on monday asking if it's ok to watch it again this Saturday.
    My biggest disapointment is theres no jelly babies. DW has loved them since Pat Troughton.
    Jelly Babies series 2 please.
    The cybermen have allways been better than the tin cans, But I love them both.
    Which do you think the most scary story has been (all of DW)?
    Mine is 'fury from the deep' (Pat Troughton), still sends a shiver down my spine
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,690
    Forum Member
    stuart62 wrote:
    The difference being that although PD is a good actor and seems like a nice chap, he was completely wrong for The Doctor (IMO, obviously!) I think he held hos own and did the best he could and he has got some excellent stories but for me, he just didn't quite fit as The Doctor.

I'd say the same for his two predecessors.
    You didn't like Jon Pertwee or Tom Baker? :eek:

Heretic! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it's worth drawing a parallel between David Tennant and Patrick Troughton - both had/will have a very difficult job taking over from what (to some at least) will be the very first Doctor. And not only that, but taking over from such wonderful actors who had already made the part their own.

My opinion is that, CE is great as the Doctor, DT will be great as the Doctor - but a different kind of great, and this will only further add to the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky Fan wrote:

I'm really looking forward to seeing the cybermen again. I think they have the potential to be even meaner than the daleks :D

It makes sense to bring them back - quite early on I would suspect to help ease in David Tennant in familiar circumstances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jimboc wrote:
    I'm really looking forward to seeing the cybermen again. I think they have the potential to be even meaner than the daleks :D

It makes sense to bring them back - quite early on I would suspect to help ease in David Tennant in familiar circumstances.
    Well, Julie Gardner is mad on Cybermen, so I definitely think we will have them in series two.

Be interesting to see how they will 'look', in light of all the advances in SFX.

I must admit that once Davros had turned the Daleks into little more than dumb slaves, the Cybermen replaced them as no. 1 baddie for me.
  • Options
    The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Fan wrote:
    Please don't tell me they're going to pick up Rose's DNA and go all girly on us too? :)
  • Options
    Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Sky Fan wrote:

It has been confirmed that the Cybermen will be appearing in seres 2. Check Outpost Gallifrey's website.
    http://www.gallifreyone.com/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    DenWatts wrote:
    You didn't like Jon Pertwee or Tom Baker? :eek:

Heretic! :D

Well cut out my tongue and boil it in aspic! I meant successors not predecessors!

How could I have made such a boob?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    Not too sure of DT myself. Seems a bit young and a bit of a wimp. Like someone said here, a pretty boy. You want a Doc who at least looks like he can handle himself in a fight! ;)

Also the fear that he's likely to leave after one season. Hope the Beeb take steps to ensure he doesn't...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    Yoonix wrote:
    Not too sure of DT myself. Seems a bit young and a bit of a wimp. Like someone said here, a pretty boy. You want a Doc who at least looks like he can handle himself in a fight! ;)

Also the fear that he's likely to leave after one season. Hope the Beeb take steps to ensure he doesn't...

I'm sure they will have him seatbelted, and bare in mind to be Doctor Who has always been a dream of DT. Where as CE admitted to not being a fan, so it was not much of a hard decision to decide to leave.

I personally am of the view that CE was a high profile name to draw the viewers in, I dont think it was ever the plane for him to stay just a publicity excercise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yoonix wrote:
    I'm not a butch lady but I would fancy my chances against Peter Davidson or Sylvester McCoy! (especially McCoy, I'd have him ;):D ).
    Wouldn't've taken on Tom Baker though - value my life!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If we don't see him again this season, The Editor should definitely return next year. Fantastic portrayal by Simon Pegg, and a very fun character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    DenWatts wrote:
    Well, Julie Gardner is mad on Cybermen, so I definitely think we will have them in series two.

Be interesting to see how they will 'look', in light of all the advances in SFX.
    QUOTE]

Am really looking forward to the cybermen i really hope they have evolved too but into something slightly more stealthy.. dare i say something more terminator like.. i would have thought that they were due for a bit of an update especially with today's audience, something that is more agile would IMO be cool

As for Christopher Ecclestone, I think he has been brilliant in the role and those i think his griining is to a large extent good, it makes him more aloof and therefore alien (hope that makes sense) plus, Tom Baker was a bit like that.. lots of grins? anyways.. not sure about David Tennant but will reserve judgement, but hope the general press continued support as this series has MADE saturday telly!
  • Options
    Vickyb83Vickyb83 Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I'm 22 I am a DW newbie and I am glad that CE was cast as the role because I had seen him in other programs and liked the roles he played so I watched the first DW to see what he was like as the Doctor. I don't normally watch your typical Sci-fi (e.g Star Trek) so I never thought i would like it. I loved the doctor and to my surprise I loved Rose as well. (wasn't a big fan of BP before DW) I liked how they interacted and the actual storyline.
    If DT had been cast as the role I'm not sure whether I would have watched that first episode because I watched him in Blackpool (basically because I live there) and I caught a little of Casanova and he kind of freaked me out a little. His eyes were were freaky looking. But because now one of my top 3 programs is DW I will be watching to see what DT brings to the role and see how he interacts with Rose and then when she leaves what the new companion is like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's outstanding, Vicky - so what do you think of Cap'n Jack?