Iron Man changing

andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
Forum Member
Apparently Marvel comics have announced that Iron Man is to become a black female teenage genius ! Why ?

Comments

• misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Apparently Marvel comics have announced that Iron Man is to become a black female teenage genius ! Why ?

Why not?

Tony Stark eventually would have to give it up.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with having an Iron Woman.
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly this will be a short-lived gimmick. A bit like Captain America being a Hydra agent or Superman being dead.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    But surely can't still be called Iron Man What will be next - a female Thor ? oh, hang on.......
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But surely can't still be called Iron Man What will be next - a female Thor ? oh, hang on.......

Well considering you have Thor playing the receptionist in the new Ghostbusters, I guess that all things are possible.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best line I saw about this was "To all the racist sexists out there, Merry Christmas!" :)
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the main question is how with that hair do how does she get it all into that helmet? as you'd probably never be able to see the controls with all that hair in the way.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Clearly this will be a short-lived gimmick. A bit like Captain America being a Hydra agent or Superman being dead.

Seems like a gimmick to me. Wouldn't it be better to create a NEW black, female
    superhero then adopt the tactic of changing an existing superhero to get media
    attention?
  • dingle88dingle88 Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Of course it's a gimmick, but it's an old one (War Machine). Haven't Capt America and Spiderman both had black stand ins? Haven't they just brought Black Panther back aswell?
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dingle88 wrote: »
    Of course it's a gimmick, but it's an old one (War Machine). Haven't Capt America and Spiderman both had black stand ins? Haven't they just brought Black Panther back aswell?

But what annoys me is the way the mainstream press fall for this sort of thing every single time.
  • dingle88dingle88 Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    But what annoys me is the way the mainstream press fall for this sort of thing every single time.

You can't blame them when they are handed click bait on a plate. It's the people who make a big deal about it on social media and such, then never go out and buy a comic that get me.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    There's going to be two Iron Mans. The other one is Doctor Doom, usually the main enemy of the currently defunct Fantastic Four.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So she's not old enough to drive but old enough to fly ?
    Then again, how old is Peter Parker in the NewMU ? :)

btw: with her being so young, does this mean any future fights between other Avengers and Iron Man are out because hitting a little girl is a big nono, even if she is wearing that suit.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hulk is now a Korean-American child genius so I guess it is all change... apparently the only thing you can't be to be a hero in the Marvel universe is stupid :(:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ I was about to say "HA!!!! what about Bizarro" ... then remembered he be DC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    ^ I was about to say "HA!!!! what about Bizarro" ... then remembered he be DC.

Well Clark Kent has been getting away with his kiss curl hairstyle & glasses as a disguise for years so I'm guessing they aren't too bright in the DC universe ;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ so it ain't the DC heroes that are stupid, it is the general populous who should hang their heads in shame. QED. :)
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The correct answer to the OP's question would be because Marvel is now aimed at right-on gender studies student teenage tumblr feminists who have no regard for good storytelling and believe every comic should feature at least one Hispanic midget who sexually identifies as a toaster.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    elnombre wrote: »
    one Hispanic midget who sexually identifies as a toaster.

Hey, I'd buy a comic about a short Latino who sexually identifies as a bread cooker. Sounds like a Chris Ware story! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, I'd buy a comic about a short Latino who sexually identifies as a bread cooker. Sounds like a Chris Ware story! :D

A bread cooker?? I can see Neil Gaiman doing that ;)
  • BobtheBoldBobtheBold Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well,there was a Stray Toasters Comic - which might have had a black character,if anyone bothered to read them ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    Because they just killed off the black man who could have replaced the white guy instead?

Okay, jokes aside, it's just a stunt they will undo in a few years.

Or the new strategic move, called "The Spider-Man", where they keep both people and make them (lamely) share the same hero name.

Used to be DC and Marvel did okay with Legacy Heroes, where they simply gave them new codenames. Oh, they'd often try them out with the main hero name THEN later undo it, but the version with sharing the hero name is where I personally reach my limit.

That said, I personally thought when they ditched the original Captain Marvel for good they should have stuck with the black woman over the white one as the permanent replacement. But... guess it didn't shake out that way.