Three Sim Only Credit Check Anyone?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I spoke to a member of the Three sales team yesterday about going on to the One Plan.

He told me that there would be a very superficial credit check and a nominal amount of money (a pound or there abouts) would be debited from my bank account and then credited. Then a DD would be set up.

The thing is my credit history is not great. I was wondering how superficial is the Sim Only credit check? I am not on the electoral register either.

Am I wasting my time?

Comments

• Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have different requirements for different deals - top-end handsets require the best credit history, lower-end handsets are easier to get and SIM-onlys even easier again.
    But it's very difficult for anyone to say if you'll pass or not as we don't know your credit history.

You may as well give it a go, you lose nothing by trying.
    But maybe registering to vote first would be a good idea.
  • ash45ash45 Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    I spoke to a member of the Three sales team yesterday about going on to the One Plan.

He told me that there would be a very superficial credit check and a nominal amount of money (a pound or there abouts) would be debited from my bank account and then credited. Then a DD would be set up.

The thing is my credit history is not great. I was wondering how superficial is the Sim Only credit check? I am not on the electoral register either.

Am I wasting my time?

ive just joined three ive been with them for over 2 years but a friend had the contract in his name for me because he got a good second contract discount when that ended i tried because i wanted it in my name and the discount was over, I too was scared that i would get declined because of silly mistakes thats given me bad credit in the past , Just to say i owe about 4.5k and on a debt plan but three accepted me within 10 seconds on-line (im on a £29/m one plan contract that came with a free Sony Xperia SP) so i think a sim only should be a lot easier to get on as others have said just give it a try,

dont forget to go via top cashback first though and get some penny back here's my referral link if your not already a member

Ash
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    They have different requirements for different deals - top-end handsets require the best credit history, lower-end handsets are easier to get and SIM-onlys even easier again.
    But it's very difficult for anyone to say if you'll pass or not as we don't know your credit history.

You may as well give it a go, you lose nothing by trying.
    But maybe registering to vote first would be a good idea.

I don't quite agree that he wouldn't lose anything. Every credit check and then especially when it fails, can make your credit history worse.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    I don't quite agree that he wouldn't lose anything. Every credit check and then especially when it fails, can make your credit history worse.

There's no such thing as a failed credit check on file. Each lender chooses their own criteria to decide after the check if they want to offer credit.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically like everyone else says just go in and have it done. If you want save possible embarrassment then just get it done online. I really can't imagine that the sim only deals credit checks are very harsh at all.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Based on the 3 SIMs I have from Three, the only credit check they do is to apply a small payment against your bank account debit card. I think it was 10p. If you pass, it shows the account is live and has funds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    There's no such thing as a failed credit check on file. Each lender chooses their own criteria to decide after the check if they want to offer credit.

http://www.which.co.uk/money/credit-cards-and-loans/guides/your-credit-report-explained/how-to-improve-your-credit-rating/

3. Think before applying for new credit
    Making an application for credit is likely to leave a 'footprint' on your credit file, which will be visible to other lenders. If you've recently been turned down for credit, it's unwise to apply for another credit card or loan immediately; other companies to assume you're in financial difficulty and making them less inclined to lend to you.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my credit check if likely one of the worst. I had 2 defaults about 2 years ago and I was accepted for a £35 per month contract with Three last month so there is no reason why your £15 per month credit check would fail. 99.9% chance you'll be accepted im sure.

Three are quite good when it comes to credit checks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.which.co.uk/money/credit-cards-and-loans/guides/your-credit-report-explained/how-to-improve-your-credit-rating/

3. Think before applying for new credit
    Making an application for credit is likely to leave a 'footprint' on your credit file, which will be visible to other lenders. If you've recently been turned down for credit, it's unwise to apply for another credit card or loan immediately; other companies to assume you're in financial difficulty and making them less inclined to lend to you.

What I'm saying is it doesn't go on file that you failed a credit check. Just the fact that a credit check was performed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But still it can't be said he hasn't got anything to lose.
    Yes, the failed check itself won't be listed, but what could happen in the worst case scenario? He does fail the check, won't get the contract and will be even less likely the next time he applies for a contract or something else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, the failed check itself won't be listed, but what could happen in the worst case scenario? He does fail the check, won't get the contract and will be even less likely the next time he applies for a contract or something else.

I agree with you I just disagreed with your comment "Every credit check and then especially when it fails, can make your credit history worse."

Fail or not it makes your credit check worse, it'll never be logged as failed, so the word especially was the thing I was commenting on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might have been worded wrongly, but in the end it can make it worse as you will be likely to try again somewhere else, if you fail.

Let's just agree on the fact that at least it's not just a case of "got nothing to lose" and enjoy the weekend ;-)
  • wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with regards to a credit check a friend of mine has just got a t mobile sim only contract (12 months) and was made bankrupt 15 months ago! dont know if thats any help, but i dont think it gets any worse credit wise than bankruptcy!
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Based on the 3 SIMs I have from Three, the only credit check they do is to apply a small payment against your bank account debit card. I think it was 10p. If you pass, it shows the account is live and has funds.

Not a SIM-only deal but when I got my S3 from 3 last year they debited £1 from my debit card and refunded it in cash!
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The All In One 15 sim is a good one as you only need to pay cash.

5 hours talk time per month, all you can eat data and 3000 texts is a great deal.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To all practical intents and purposes, yes it can.

SIM-only tariffs have very low thresholds, if the OP's credit rating is so low that they are going to fail, then it's rather unlikely they'll be in a position to be pass any other credit checks any time soon.
    Not to mention, credit checks only remain on your credit file for a limited period of time and will affect future credit checks for an even shorter period. It's not like trying will leave a permanent mark on the OP's credit file.
    Also, if this is the only credit check the OP is going to have tried in the recent past, the impact it will have on future decisions will be lessened yet further - it's a large number of credit checks in a relatively short space of time that tends to spook potential lenders as it looks like the applicant may be over-stretching themselves.

On the other hand, phone contracts are one of the easiest ways to help improve your credit rating due to the relative ease with which they can be obtained.
    So, aside from the obvious benefit of having the allowances included in the tariff, the OP stands to gain if they do pass.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best way if you're worried is to call the sales number as you are more likely to pass than online and if they don't then they can accept you but give you a trial for say 3 months where they can monitor you and during that time you can't take out a handset contract.
  • dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Three do credit check you and they also report your monthly payment activity to credit reference agencies,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I did it. I signed up for a sim only One Plan contract. The credit check could not have been easier!