Why are there no English umpires at Wimbledon

2»

Comments

• Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    It's not about "not like being presented with the facts".

As elfcurry said in post No.10 I'm talking about CHAIR umpires.
    And when did I say they should ALL be British or English.
    I simply said that you'd think that with Wimbledon being held in England that at least SOME of the CHAIR umpires would be English.

Ha ha, keep on digging this hole for yourself and you'll end up in Australia in time for the Aussie Open and you can ask them why they have non Australian umpires too :D
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been watching Wimbledon since Monday and I haven't heard ONE English umpire. Not one.
    They've all got foreign accents. You'd think that being Wimbledon you'd have at least a few English umpires.

You must have been unlucky, as I heard an umpire today with a British accent. James Keothavong.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    Don't think that's right. See my post above there was a very French sounding chair umpire for the Gasquet match I watched on Thursday. Both my dad and myself commented that was odd.

You do know that other countries besides France speak French, right? It's entirely possible to sound "French" and come from a completely different country!
  • Options
    zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    malcy30 wrote: »
    Was at court 1 on Thursday so two matches before the rain. Of the two chair umpires, first was female could not tell where from given her accent. Then obviously a French man which was surprising given one of the players in that match Gasquet was French.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNxBtmsCYAA1jl_.jpg

The second umpire was an Egyptian man.
  • Options
    ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    SOME of the CHAIR umpires ARE English.

That has been pointed out to you several times. Are you blind or stupid?
    Neither.

I could say are you blind or stupid because you don't seem to understand what I'm saying. I keep getting told "some of the chair umpires are English". I don't care if some of them ARE English. I HAVEN'T HEARD ONE. That's my point. I want to hear them on the Centre and No.1 courts for at least the odd match. I mean where are all these apparent English chair umpires. Have they all been banned from the centre and No.1 courts. Have they all been relegated to the outside courts just for the mixed doubles matches in the evening.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither.

I could say are you blind or stupid because you don't seem to understand what I'm saying. I keep getting told "some of the chair umpires are English". I don't care if some of them ARE English. I HAVEN'T HEARD ONE. That's my point. I want to hear them on the Centre and No.1 courts for at least the odd match. I mean where are all these apparent English chair umpires. Have they all been banned from the centre and No.1 courts. Have they all been relegated to the outside courts just for the mixed doubles matches in the evening.

I'm sorry, but that's complete and utter rubbish - you're calling for positive discrimination towards British people at a major sporting event just because it's held in England?

Anyone who wants anything other than the best umpires for the job umpiring the matches, particularly the top matches on Centre and Court 1, is not a true sports fan in my book - why would you want anything other than the most competent person for the job, regardless of nationality?

Tennis players don't care who the nationality of the umpire is, and they're the ones playing the tournament. All they want is to be treated fairly in their match, and nationality does not play into that in any way whatsoever other than that the umpire should not be the same nationality as either player for the sake of impartiality beyond reproach.

No-one is entitled to anything other than that, and to be so petty about something that is related to the sport, not the place where the tournament is held, is astounding.
  • Options
    BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what a strange read this thread has been
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yesterday the umpire for the Ferrer-Dolgopolov match on Court 1 was James Keothavong (a Brit). He was on Court 2 the day before. On Thursday, Fiona Edwards (another Brit) was the umpire on centre court for the match between Radwanska and Johannsen. Haven't got the list for the previous days but they do get put on the show courts, you either missed the matches or didn't spot them.
  • Options
    footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,212
    Forum Member
    Two of the main female umpires who have not been on Centre Court or Court 1 yet are Eva Asderaki (Greece) and Alison Hughes(was Lang) from Britain.

However my guess is that Asderaki will get Laura v Kanepi and Hughes will get Serena v Sabine.

There was only one female umpire on the main showcourts on Saturday and that was Juan Zhang who did Kvitova v Makarova

The following gold standard ladies have been on Centre or Court 1
    Kerrilyn Cramer (Australia)
    Marija Cicak (Croatia)
    Mariana Alves (Portugal)
    Juan Zhang (China)

Fiona Edwards I think is a silver standard - and I think Lucy Grant is still silver- they have both been on the main showcourts
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry, but that's complete and utter rubbish - you're calling for positive discrimination towards British people at a major sporting event just because it's held in England?

Anyone who wants anything other than the best umpires for the job umpiring the matches, particularly the top matches on Centre and Court 1, is not a true sports fan in my book - why would you want anything other than the most competent person for the job, regardless of nationality?
    Tennis players don't care who the nationality of the umpire is, and they're the ones playing the tournament. All they want is to be treated fairly in their match, and nationality does not play into that in any way whatsoever other than that the umpire should not be the same nationality as either player for the sake of impartiality beyond reproach.

No-one is entitled to anything other than that, and to be so petty about something that is related to the sport, not the place where the tournament is held, is astounding.

BIB - Fundamentally I agree - but I have noticed that Alison Lang (now Hughes) has had a few ladies finals at Wimbledon - would be nice if the PTB gave this years ladies final to Asderaki who is just as good as Alison Hughes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you want to see a British umpire on CC, James Keothavong is umpiring the Lisicki-Williams match.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zieler wrote: »
    If you want to see a British umpire on CC, James Keothavong is umpiring the Lisicki-Williams match.

It doesn't count if the OP doesn't see and hear it! Don't you know the rules :D
  • Options
    wit-hamwit-ham Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    zieler is correct, here is the list of today's umpires.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BOFepi8CcAAQsy8.jpg:large
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    It doesn't count if the OP doesn't see and hear it! Don't you know the rules :D

I know :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wit-ham wrote: »
    zieler is correct, here is the list of today's umpires.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BOFepi8CcAAQsy8.jpg:large

And Footygirl was right about Asderaki doing the Robson-Kanepi match.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neither.

No they have not been banned. There was an English umpire on Centre court today (Monday) I hope you didn't miss it.
  • Options
    Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They really should use 4 British umpires for the quarter finals so people can see they are not an endangered species:D
  • Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tennis is an international sport, none of the four grand slams employ - in the main - umpires from that country. Also, as mentioned earlier, a British umpire will not chair a match involving a British participant. The rule stating that umpires do not share nationality with players they're umpiring for kind of makes this thread irrelevant. There needs to be umpires from all different nations.

bib: What? If someone has a question and seeks an answer from those interested enough to respond, who are you to claim their question is irrelevant? You don't have to respond.

If most matches involved a British player your 'nationality exclusion' point would be valid. Of course, we get more TV exposure to matches involving Brits so we might see fewer UK Chair Umpires than there are, but as others have pointed out they do exist.

For some years when I started watching Wimbledon I often wondered why so may Umpires seemed to be Americans at a British-run tournament but I haven't noticed any recently, or any Aussies. Often we're told at the start where they're from but I often miss it or don't notice as the commentary begins.

A couple of days ago I started wondering about umpire gender. I've usually seen a woman umpire a women's match but not always. Does a woman ever umpire a men's match?

To anyone who's not interested in the umpires - please feel free to not respond.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    They really should use 4 British umpires for the quarter finals so people can see they are not an endangered species:D
    elfcurry wrote: »
    bib: What? If someone has a question and seeks an answer from those interested enough to respond, who are you to claim their question is irrelevant? You don't have to respond.

If most matches involved a British player your 'nationality exclusion' point would be valid. Of course, we get more TV exposure to matches involving Brits so we might see fewer UK Chair Umpires than there are, but as others have pointed out they do exist.

For some years when I started watching Wimbledon I often wondered why so may Umpires seemed to be Americans at a British-run tournament but I haven't noticed any recently, or any Aussies. Often we're told at the start where they're from but I often miss it or don't notice as the commentary begins.

A couple of days ago I started wondering about umpire gender. I've usually seen a woman umpire a women's match but not always. Does a woman ever umpire a men's match?
    To anyone who's not interested in the umpires - please feel free to not respond.

Actually I like to see an overseas umpire do the finals at Wimbledon - there are some very highly qualified officials who are not British

BIB - Eva Asderaki does a few mens matches
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Goingby wht happened today it seems the ladies final will be umpired by a WTA umpire. Either Eva Asderaki or Mariana Alves

Alison Hughes(Lang) and Marija Cicak had the semi finals
  • Options
    wit-hamwit-ham Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    English umpire for this first semi-final.

The Wimbledon schedulers must have read this thread I reckon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Another 'Brit' through to the semis :p
  • Options
    mudgutsmudguts Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I googled why there were so few native English-speaking umpires and eventually ended up here. Most of you won’t remember umpires like Richard Kaufman (USA), Richard Ings (AUS) and Gerry Armstrong (GB) but I remember these gentlemen adding to the thrill of an ATP or Grand Slam final because of their voices and the way they spoke and read out scores!
    I have no doubt that people like Carlos Bernardes or Carlos Ramos, or the woman who umpired one of today’s (July 5) boys’ singles at Wimbledon are excellent tennis officials, my gripe, though, is that they mispronounce words. As a TEFL teacher I often need to point out that when speaking lower numbers such as 13 the second syllable is stressed (thir-TEEN), whereas with higher numbers the first is stressed (THIR-ty) – important when speaking on the phone – and I often mention tennis scores to emphasize this. So it hurts when Sr. Bernardes puts a ‘th’ into almost every word he utters or when most of the other non-native English speaking umpires are not aware of or ignore the distinction I just mentioned. Makes me feel that my efforts to help learners pronounce certain words correctly is being undermined.
    At the end of the day, though, they all seem to be doing their job correctly, regardless of nationality.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mudguts wrote: »
    I googled why there were so few native English-speaking umpires and eventually ended up here. Most of you won’t remember umpires like Richard Kaufman (USA), Richard Ings (AUS) and Gerry Armstrong (GB) but I remember these gentlemen adding to the thrill of an ATP or Grand Slam final because of their voices and the way they spoke and read out scores!
    I have no doubt that people like Carlos Bernardes or Carlos Ramos, or the woman who umpired one of today’s (July 5) boys’ singles at Wimbledon are excellent tennis officials, my gripe, though, is that they mispronounce words. As a TEFL teacher I often need to point out that when speaking lower numbers such as 13 the second syllable is stressed (thir-TEEN), whereas with higher numbers the first is stressed (THIR-ty) – important when speaking on the phone – and I often mention tennis scores to emphasize this. So it hurts when Sr. Bernardes puts a ‘th’ into almost every word he utters or when most of the other non-native English speaking umpires are not aware of or ignore the distinction I just mentioned. Makes me feel that my efforts to help learners pronounce certain words correctly is being undermined.
    At the end of the day, though, they all seem to be doing their job correctly, regardless of nationality.

I don't like the way some umpires manage to make 15 a three syllable word. Fif-tee-un.
  • Options
    spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes think that the British umpires pronounce things in very odd ways anyway. So I don't think it makes a difference where they come from.