Options

Goodnight Sweetheart BBC1 August 2016

Comments

• Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    It’s certainly possible, I just don’t think it’ll happen. I recall a few years ago a series of Not Going Out was still being filmed when it started airing on BBC One.
    But I’d have also thought BBC One would want to make a ‘big event’ of Goodnight Sweetheart returning, not have it buried in the traditional summer ‘dead’ zone of August. I guess we’ll find out soon though.

Which is fine if you know that is happening and you have scripts, time, actors available and most importantly you knew in advance it was happening

We don't actually know GS has all this as it was just announced recently where as Not going out knew months before
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just checked and 'Goodnight Sweetheart' is definitely being included by the BBC in this "season" of 60 years of comedy.

Maybe it extends into September.
  • Options
    MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given all the other shows in this "season" are essentially remakes, are we sure any of the original cast will appear?
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    I've just checked and 'Goodnight Sweetheart' is definitely being included by the BBC in this "season" of 60 years of comedy.

Maybe it extends into September.

I believe the BBC sitcom season is ‘this Autumn’, not just this August.
  • Options
    MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First picture just released:-

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a803765/goodnight-sweetheart-cast-reunite-in-new-pictures-that-are-making-us-so-nostalgic/

Elizabeth Carling and Emma Amos to play Phoebe and Yvonne.

Had to take a double take at first, as I thought the woman next to Nic Lyndhurst was Yvonne - turns out its Yvonne's daughter who's played by Emma's daughter in real life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MR_Pitkin wrote: »

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a803765/goodnight-sweetheart-cast-reunite-in-new-pictures-that-are-making-us-so-nostalgic/

Had to take a double take at first, as I thought the woman next to Nic Lyndhurst was Yvonne - turns out its Yvonne's daughter who's played by Emma's daughter in real life.

Wow yea she looks like her mother doesn't she? No Victor in that picture but it says he will be there so that is good
  • Options
    claremontsclaremonts Posts: 20,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed-I had to look twice too, and Chris and Liz haven't changed very much either. I'm really looking forward to this (and The Good Life too, but i haven't heard who has been cast in that yet).
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member

Is the lad at the back (next to Dexter from Eastenders?) supposed to be Gary's son? Cos he's got a real look of Lyndhurst about him!
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    Some more pics

Was worried that Victor wasn't in this, but apparently he just couldn't make the read through.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at the pic, Elizabeth Carling has worn well hasn't she?.

Didn't think I would be bothered about this, but am now really looking forward to catching up with the philandering time traveler once more....
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really hope this is well received and we can get a full new series of the show.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see Reg is in it again. He was so funny!
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some more pics

Was worried that Victor wasn't in this, but apparently he just couldn't make the read through.

they're the same pictures
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

I wonder if it's Gary's daughter and Yvonne was pregnant when he got stuck in the past and he didn't know?
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at that I'm guessing we'll be finding out Gary and Yvonne had a daughter, presumably concieved just before he got trapped in 1945 and neither of them knew about at the time?
  • Options
    mseven1mseven1 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if it's Gary's daughter and Yvonne was pregnant when he got stuck in the past and he didn't know?

She might have had a child with someone else depending on how old she is meant to be. She is her real life daughter so I assume Emma Amos said she will only play Yvonne if her daughter is cast
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    they're the same pictures

The pic with Nicholas and the two boys (Gary's sons?) in one of the replies isn't the same

Also hadn't seen that 'Gary & his wives' pic when I first clicked on that link, so assumed that was new.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    Looking at that I'm guessing we'll be finding out Gary and Yvonne had a daughter, presumably concieved just before he got trapped in 1945 and neither of them knew about at the time?

I think you are right. Also, I'm thinking I might be able to guess a plotline for the new episode. Gary's teenage son will probably come with him into the future. Perhaps he will meet and get on well with the daughter (without knowing who she is), and Gary will be in a panic about a potential romance, because of course they would be half brother and sister.

Looking at the photos, Elizabeth Carling looks great, really young. I immediately thought oh no where's Ron? But as already mentioned, Victor McGuire is going to be in it, which is good, it wouldn't be the same without Ron, who was always one of the best characters in Goodnight Sweetheart.
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Why have they got a modern day daughter in the series? I dont recall the character in current day having gary's baby. Only the War wife had a child.
  • Options
    mseven1mseven1 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why have they got a modern day daughter in the series? I dont recall the character in current day having gary's baby. Only the War wife had a child.

The programme ended in 1999 so if she was pregnant at the time the child would be born around 2000 so would be around 16 now but that would be assuming that it is Gary's child, she could have had a child with someone else, possible a member of the labour party who she could've had an affair with or she may have had an affair with Gary's friend Ron. Gary and Phebe's son would be in his 20s now
  • Options
    Forum Member

Plenty of people go months without realising they are pregnant. She could have been 6 months if you want to push it a bit
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you are right. Also, I'm thinking I might be able to guess a plotline for the new episode. Gary's teenage son will probably come with him into the future. Perhaps he will meet and get on well with the daughter (without knowing who she is), and Gary will be in a panic about a potential romance, because of course they would be half brother and sister.

But then we had the episode where Gary met him in the 90s, and he had no idea about Gary's time travelling expoits (or that the 90s Gary even was his dad). But then time travel means you can change the rules and the course of history. He changed the course of his son's life in that episode after all.

The show didn't reveal anything about Gary and Phoebe's post-40s life from what I remember (or if they were even still alive in the 90s- though he did hallucinate elderly version of them in one episode) apart from that he never sold the flat and it was still in his name when Ron moved in in 1998. We did see an elderly, senile Reg in a home in one episode though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    But then we had the episode where Gary met him in the 90s, and he had no idea about Gary's time travelling expoits (or that the 90s Gary even was his dad). But then time travel means you can change the rules and the course of history. He changed the course of his son's life in that episode after all.

The show didn't reveal anything about Gary and Phoebe's post-40s life from what I remember (or if they were even still alive in the 90s- though he did hallucinate elderly version of them in one episode) apart from that he never sold the flat and it was still in his name when Ron moved in in 1998. We did see an elderly, senile Reg in a home in one episode though.

Yea he said his dad was never around etc when we now know he actually was stuck in the past so would have had no reason to not be around. So that was obviously an 'edit' to the timeline caused by something

Would be quite amusing to find that 5 minutes after the show ended Gary went back and the portal was open and he carried on as normal after that
  • Options
    claremontsclaremonts Posts: 20,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Yvonne has continued down the political route-who knows where she could be now!
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

Looking at the photos, Elizabeth Carling looks great, really young. I immediately thought oh no where's Ron? But as already mentioned, Victor McGuire is going to be in it, which is good, it wouldn't be the same without Ron, who was always one of the best characters in Goodnight Sweetheart.

Good idea.

They could also do the same thing but have it has Garys Grandson as he could have a Grandson about the same age as she would be.