Options

Favourite young adult books?

BodyElectricBodyElectric Posts: 486
Forum Member
I've been feeling nostalgic lately for all the young adult books I read as a youth growing up in the 1990s. I devoured Point Horror and Sweet Valley High like my life depeneded on it. Through adult eyes I can see these books are objectively trash but they were so entertaining.

What Young Adult books did you love when you were younger? Which ones still have a special place in your heart? Are there any that actually don't hold up too badly?

Comments

• Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I loved the Point Horror books. They were mostly all rip offs of films like Scream or I know what You Did Last Summer, but I simply couldn't get enough of them. My favourite author was Caroline B. Cooney. I remember she had a book called The Cheerleader that I stayed reading until the early hours of the morning on a school night and I was exhausted the next day for school. She also wrote some romance novels like Forbidden and The Girl Who Invented Romance.

I also remember the Point Crime and Point Romance books. I remember loving the crime books by Anne Cassidy and her Patsy Kelly series. I'm 31 now, but I still love her books.
  • Options
    charlie-chancharlie-chan Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I loved the Caroline B. Cooney books too.

I used to love reading the novel "Old Magic" by Marianne Curley and "The Raging Quiet" by Sherryl Jordan.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Charlie Higson's The Enemy series
  • Options
    carascaras Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Charlie Higson's The Enemy series
    Loved this series. He responds to Tweets as well :D
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    As a nipper it was the usual Enid Blyton type stuff
    In my teens it was a mixture of writers. Mainly John Irving, Dickens, early Stephen King, Steinbeck and books on the holocaust.
  • Options
    quiniequinie Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a book that I loved as a child/teenager and still love now - called "The Runaways" by Victor Canning I think. It was about a lad who escaped from police custody at the same time a cheeta escaped from longleat safari park - sounds naff but such a good story - love reading it now.

When I got a bit older was addicted to Virginia Andrews books - especially the "Flowers in the Attic" series.

Loved Judy Blume too - Tiger Eyes was a favourite.

I kept all the books and tried to pass them to my daughter when she was younger but alas she does not like reading! :(