The Newsroom - Season Two - (UK Pace)

derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As the first episode is now on On Demand, good time to start a season two 'UK Pace' thread.

To get the HD version a 'blue button' search is needed.

Comments

• slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of changes in this opening episode - some a bit disconcerting, but mostly promising, I thought.

A question: when we say 'UK pace', I assume that means waiting until after Monday rather than 'on demand pace'? before discussing spoilery details?

For what it's worth, I'm going to try to do weekly reviews after every episode. Here's a link to my season 1 review, if anyone is interested:

http://slouchingtowardstv.com/2013/08/29/the-newsroom-season-1-reviewseason-2-preview/
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its on sky on demand? what????? since when?

i cant wait to see this episode but i will wait till monday as i am rewatching season 1 on atlantic and still have the finale left to watch

amazing tv show, really really hope there is a s3
  • JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »

i cant wait to see this episode but i will wait till monday as i am rewatching season 1 on atlantic and still have the finale left to watch

Agree discussion should be after it's shown on Sky Atlantic, for the sake of a couple of days who actually watches 'on demand', maybe I'm old fashioned but I'll wait till Monday.

Hopefully we will see more of the gorgeous Olivia Munn as Sloane Sabbith.
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »

BIB - Same ;)

Got the whole of season 1 on my Sky Planner, going to wait till Monday - The retro way :cool:
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you watch on On Demand you get it US style without the commercial breaks.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Will Maggie and Jim (or should that be Josh and Donna?!) ever get it on.:D
  • Johnny 99Johnny 99 Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Are you saying the first episode of season two is on demand before it airs on Monday? Great news if true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny 99 wrote: »
    Are you saying the first episode of season two is on demand before it airs on Monday? Great news if true.
    Yes it is, as a 'preview'. I suspect that will only be the case for episode 1, though. We'll find out soon enough, if episode 2 goes on demand after ep 1 airs tonight.

I hope it does. I like being able to watch ahead a bit - it's kinda helpful when you're trying to write reviews!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good start to the new season. Must admit, when I downloaded the preview, I didn't actually think it was the full episode - I was expecting an extended trailer or something!
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alves wrote: »
    Good start to the new season. Must admit, when I downloaded the preview, I didn't actually think it was the full episode - I was expecting an extended trailer or something!

Sky do that a lot with their season/series premieres.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is, as a 'preview'. I suspect that will only be the case for episode 1, though. We'll find out soon enough, if episode 2 goes on demand after ep 1 airs tonight.

It won't. Only the first episodes get an advance preview.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    It won't. Only the first episodes get an advance preview.
    Thanks - as I suspected. Still, it was nice to get a sneak early view of episode 1, at least.

I quite liked this opener. A bit low-key but you can see the various plotlines being set up and Sorkin has clearly addressed some of the criticisms from last year. Not perfect, but a good foundation to build Newsroom 2.0 on (Does that make it News Night 3.0?)

I'm going to try to do weekly recaps. Here are my thoughts on episode, if anyone's interested.

http://slouchingtowardstv.com/2013/09/02/the-newsroom-s2-ep-1-review-first-thing-we-do-lets-kill-all-the-lawyers/
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the season opener, my one concern from season one was the Don, Maggie, Jim triangle and I feared it continuing when Don and Maggie were still an item but thankfully they resolved that in the first episode.
    I can see they're building a season long arc here with the lawyers so that could be interesting. looking forward to seeing the rest of the season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the first episode! But I hate the opening sequence, I loved the music.
  • RavenRaven Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to try to do weekly recaps. Here are my thoughts on episode, if anyone's interested.

http://slouchingtowardstv.com/2013/09/02/the-newsroom-s2-ep-1-review-first-thing-we-do-lets-kill-all-the-lawyers/

Nice recap, well done.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeff Daniels seems to have confirmed on Twitter that there will be a 3rd season next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, The Genoa Tip ...

I was less impressed with this after last week's promising opener. Partly because it's quite heavy on set-up for several of the key ongoing storylines - a necessary evil, but one which slows the pace down - but mostly because we seem to spend half the episode focussing on Maggie's messed-up love-life. Still, Lisa's take-down of Maggie was fun.

A shame, really, because I found the Troy Davis case quite interesting, having only been vaguely aware of it before. For once, this didn't come across as completely one-sided Sorkin-speak, with Will playing devil's advocate to Don's points nicely.

Not bad, but would have been so much better if they had taken 5 minutes away from the Maggie soap opera and given it to the scenes about Davis and the drone strikes.

Anyhow, here's my weekly review if anyone's interested:

http://slouchingtowardstv.com/2013/09/10/the-newsroom-s2-ep-2-review-the-genoa-tip/
  • orangesmartieorangesmartie Posts: 3,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, The Genoa Tip ...

I was less impressed with this after last week's promising opener. Partly because it's quite heavy on set-up for several of the key ongoing storylines - a necessary evil, but one which slows the pace down - but mostly because we seem to spend half the episode focussing on Maggie's messed-up love-life. Still, Lisa's take-down of Maggie was fun.

A shame, really, because I found the Troy Davis case quite interesting, having only been vaguely aware of it before. For once, this didn't come across as completely one-sided Sorkin-speak, with Will playing devil's advocate to Don's points nicely.

Not bad, but would have been so much better if they had taken 5 minutes away from the Maggie soap opera and given it to the scenes about Davis and the drone strikes.

Anyhow, here's my weekly review if anyone's interested:

http://slouchingtowardstv.com/2013/09/10/the-newsroom-s2-ep-2-review-the-genoa-tip/

Thanks for your reviews, they point out the nuances that i miss when watching (because i'm usually watching and doing something else).

Like you, i am bored by Maggie and the time devoted to her love life. I wonder if that is shoved in to appeal to the 'sex in the city' type audience. Really though i think there should be a lot less of it. I don't warm to maggie as a character. She's gone from being Will's temporary PA to being sent on assignment to Africa? really?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reviews, they point out the nuances that i miss when watching (because i'm usually watching and doing something else).

Like you, i am bored by Maggie and the time devoted to her love life. I wonder if that is shoved in to appeal to the 'sex in the city' type audience. Really though i think there should be a lot less of it. I don't warm to maggie as a character. She's gone from being Will's temporary PA to being sent on assignment to Africa? really?
    Thanks. It's always fun to pick at the details, particularly with some of the news stories which, as a UK viewer, I'm not always that familiar with.

Of course, Maggie's been an associate producer since Mac promoted her in episode 1, and I kind of get that Sorkin wants there to be a lighter and human element to the show to offset the featured news stories, which are invariably dark and depressing (as 99% of real world news seems to be!) But it was the fact she was so one-dimensional last year that annoyed me. Hopefully her forthcoming Africa trip trauma will bring out a different side to her (other than the red hair).
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I am not a fan of the new hairstyle, it is very off putting!
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the unintentional parallel between Maggie becoming a viral sensation and Alison Pill (who plays Maggie) being a viral news story earlier this year when she accidently posted a naked pic of herself on twitter. :D
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I am not a fan of the new hairstyle, it is very off putting!

Yeah, it's supposed to be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thoughts on last night?

I thought it was a really good episode. Starting to enjoy the stuff with Jim out on the campaign trail as well.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeh very good,still alot of soap opera but i feel like there is more emphasis back on news and micky tacking which is what made me love season one.

and hell, id love to see will and mac get together,they have built it so well so i love the soap opera elements of this show too

such a shame genoa tip is gonna go all wrong for them!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really didn't like this episode. Actually, to be fair, I liked the news-based elements of it, and disliked the more character/soapy moments. It felt to me as if there were too many unconnected things happening at the same time, so consequently everything got only superficial focus.

The cold open about gays in the military - good. The Genoa stuff - good. The OWS stuff - good. Jim's frustrations on the Romney trail - good.

What I struggled with was Maggie being silly again, Mac mooning over Will (and shouting a very personal question at him with her office door open - really?) and Charlie and Will being unable to operate a voice recorder between them (really?!?). And all we could manage for Don this week was him falling out of his chair repeatedly? Hmm.

I still love this show - when it's great, it's fantastic, and there were plenty of good moments here - but sometimes it just feels like the writers don't know whether they want to be serious or light-hearted, and it ends up as a bit of a mish-mash.

Anyway, my weekly review is below. This week's musical pop culture reference: Will throws in The Eagles' Heartache Tonight ... (at the end of the rundown meeting). Subtle, but it made me smile.

http://slouchingtowardstv.com/2013/09/17/the-newsroom-s2-ep3-review-willie-pete/