Options

Belle Dingle - Change of Character

Comments

• Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wench02 wrote: »
    If you saw me around town doing my shopping you'd probably think I lived on the local gypsy camp.

The Dingles may not be rich farmers/horsey types, of which there are some. There are also "chav" type farmers/horsey people, of which Belle would probably more belong to. Either way, she would probably be more interested in getting into mischeaf such as shooting/poaching.

This would make a far better plot line than the usual moody stroppy teenager that we just seem to be presented with these day.

And as per another post... I also agree that the poor actress must have been cringing when she got the script for this storyline. I also think Debbie's makeup/wardrobe artist has been round Belle. Makeup does not suit her.

Fair point, I know a couple of people like that, and the ones in-between as well. What I have noticed though, is that with the teenage girls, even the ones who are more interested in outdoorsy stuff, animals etc, and/or sport or studying, there still seems to be a need to look 'glamorous.' Belle's ott make-up looks horrible, but at least she hasn't started on hair extensions, fake tan etc. I don't think these things are horrible, just that it's sad to see very young girls feeling the need to use them. I think schools should ban the kids from wearing make up until they're seniors.
  • Options
    Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that shows like this dont help for teenage girls/boys. All you see is teenagers being stroppy and arguing with their parents. About time someone actually did some script writing (as above Belle could be made into a "country" tearaway) rather than some cheap chav.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly worry about how much the kids where I live seem influenced by peer pressure these days. I mean it's always been there, but it seems to be so much worse now. It would be quite nice to see Belle reject it, then deal with bullying or name calling but come out stronger in the end. I've got a feeling that this is just a phase for her, she doesn't look like she's enjoying it, but rather that she's doing it to keep in with Gemma and her mates. She's better off with the pigs frankly, but she'll hopefully realise this fairly soon.
  • Options
    UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If my sister or I had attempted to have sex at 14 we would have been actively prevented by my parents attempting to ensure we were never out of their sight until we were at least 16 and preferably 18! I understand Lisa's point of view that if Belle is going to do this she should be safe but Belle is still underage - it is not unreasonable for Lisa and Zak to put their foot down more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zak seems to be in awe of Belle - per haps even slightly scared of her - a lot of the time. He thinks that she's much cleverer than him, and he doesn't want to be too strict, because that worked so well with his grown up kids;) Lisa's always had more of a handle on the little madam, she needs to keep that up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Belle is a lot different to her sister Tina... who per soap laws has vanised off the radar and never mentioned again...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Belle is a lot different to her sister Tina... who per soap laws has vanised off the radar and never mentioned again...

Was Tina more in the 'Charity' mould? I didn't watch at that time, but I always got the impression she was like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am at the front of the queue most of the time when it comes to Emmerdale bashing, but I have to say I support this plotline.

Firstly, I very much doubt they would have gone ahead with quite a daring plot like this without the consent and approval of both Eden Taylor-Draper and her parents because of her age.

Secondly, peer-pressure/sexuality is still a bit taboo in the UK and to my mind, no other soap is doing this kind of story right now.

Thirdly, this is Emmerdale at it's strongest - not the blockbuster plots like Who Killed Carl or the wafer-thin sub-plots like Dan and Bob's inability to find love, but these middle-of-the-road-plots - Belle's growing pains, David/Priya/Alicia triangle, Chas and Bernice's tussle for the Woolpack - Emmerdale is usually very good at these type of plots.

Finally, and this is my most important point, I think it is incredibly ballsy actually for a soap to handle a 14-year-old girl's sexuality maturely - taking Belle to a doctor, discussing STIs, and even a bit of referencing to the underage pregnancies of other Dingles! - instead of the usual slanging matches and hollow moralising. It's a very mature approach and if it stirs up a debate about the sexual pressure put on today's teens then it has my full support.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tina was a little trollop. Although when she/the Dingles were introduced to the soap, she was 18 ish...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tina was a little trollop.

Albeit one with ten times more class than Charity could ever dream of!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    I am at the front of the queue most of the time when it comes to Emmerdale bashing, but I have to say I support this plotline.

Firstly, I very much doubt they would have gone ahead with quite a daring plot like this without the consent and approval of both Eden Taylor-Draper and her parents because of her age.

Secondly, peer-pressure/sexuality is still a bit taboo in the UK and to my mind, no other soap is doing this kind of story right now.

Thirdly, this is Emmerdale at it's strongest - not the blockbuster plots like Who Killed Carl or the wafer-thin sub-plots like Dan and Bob's inability to find love, but these middle-of-the-road-plots - Belle's growing pains, David/Priya/Alicia triangle, Chas and Bernice's tussle for the Woolpack - Emmerdale is usually very good at these type of plots.

Finally, and this is my most important point, I think it is incredibly ballsy actually for a soap to handle a 14-year-old girl's sexuality maturely - taking Belle to a doctor, discussing STIs, and even a bit of referencing to the underage pregnancies of other Dingles! - instead of the usual slanging matches and hollow moralising. It's a very mature approach and if it stirs up a debate about the sexual pressure put on today's teens then it has my full support.

Certainly very brave of them to address it - and to be applauded, given that young girls are under a huge amount of pressure to be sexually active and 'hot' these days, and it's even more of a minefield for parents. I was quite impressed by the fact that Dom - the younger, more'streetwise' parent - was shown to be totally deceived by his daughter. The Dingles tried the same approach, but it worked (to an extent) for them. I really hope Belle doesn't end up pregnant but somehow I think she won't - she's a bright kid and she'll figure herself out.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    I liked her speech last week, when she pointed out that Zak and Lisa were older parents, and looked and behaved like they were her grandparents.

It felt very real, and you could see the hurt in Zak and Lisa's eyes.

It was a great scene and actually felt very real.

A breath of fresh air in the story-line actually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certainly very brave of them to address it - and to be applauded, given that young girls are under a huge amount of pressure to be sexually active and 'hot' these days, and it's even more of a minefield for parents. I was quite impressed by the fact that Dom - the younger, more'streetwise' parent - was shown to be totally deceived by his daughter. The Dingles tried the same approach, but it worked (to an extent) for them. I really hope Belle doesn't end up pregnant but somehow I think she won't - she's a bright kid and she'll figure herself out.

I completely echo this. I did worry they were going to go down the pregnancy route, but the self-awareness of the plot (referencing Debbie and Charity's underage pregnancies) suggests the opposite is true. If so then this is an intelligent and ballsy storyline and I commend it!
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member

I was going to post the very same thing :D You never hear Zac mention Tina. I did notice a picture of Bunch on the wall last night .Even if they recast Tina they could bring her back that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I think a re-cast of Tina would be interesting,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    I was going to post the very same thing :D You never hear Zac mention Tina. I did notice a picture of Bunch on the wall last night .Even if they recast Tina they could bring her back that way.

Yes, there's no reason they couldn't recast Tina, as she left nearly 20 years ago and would be about Charity's age. However, given the dominance of Chas and Debbie, a third strong Dingle woman in the village would be overwhelming I feel. Debbie or Chas need to go before Tina returned I feel, and in my opinion it should be Chas. Once Cameron's story is over, I don't see a viable future for Chas in Emmerdale, really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice to see back, not permenatly, but perhaps given this dreadful Belle storyline, it would be interesting to see her back for a couple of months, in a sort of "advisory" capacity. Rather than the character she previously was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shes a Dingle Teenager not your normal everyday teenager probably the only Dingle ever to go to university .
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leeruk wrote: »
    Shes a Dingle Teenager not your normal everyday teenager probably the only Dingle ever to go to university .

Only if you don't count Chas who has a degree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Only if you don't count Chas who has a degree.

Didn't do her much good, eh! :D
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a good storyline, but she does look so much younger. The kissing scenes between her and her boyf were absolutely buttock clenching - they both looked like they'd rather be eating faeces than putting their mouths anywhere near each other!!