Options

BBC Challenged over ownership of TARDIS

Comments

• Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why come orward with this 2 weeks before the 50th ? i'll tell you why. Publicity..to be honest though it won't chnage a thing for us fans, just a headache for the legal types..gives them something to do though i guess
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hope Coburn knows what he's doing?

Would you like to be known as the bloke who has p**sed off a load of fans, over something that should really been sorted out years ago?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Nothing will come of this.
  • Options
    lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. So, DW has been back on screens since 2005, yet he waits until 2 weeks before the 50th to start sprouting this crap? Publicity and a load of rubbish. If he'd done it straight away when it first came back, then maybe you could have understood his anger at the BBC. Now? He's doing it for attention and just messing things up for fans.

Thanks alot. Douchebag.
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He sounds like a right arrogant tosser :mad:
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't really have a case. Antony Colburn didn't invent the TARDIS. He was a writer, told to include it. There's a difference.
  • Options
    KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coburn has already had his due reward from the BBC with a career as a writer and producer. He was an employee of the BBC and knew that any work he did he was salaried for and belonged to them. It is the same as Cusick with the design of the Daleks and Pemberton with the Sonic Screwdriver.

His kid now thinks he deserves something for an idea he didn't have seems a bit, well, sordid and cheap.

I think I deserve part of the Coburn estate. If I (and others) didn't watch Doctor Who then it wouldn't be a success. I even have to pay to watch and my tax dollars paid his Dad's salary! So I think the least Coburn Jr. can do is reward me for my dedication, and indirect financial support for his upbringing, by compensating me with a substantial cut of any potential TARDIS windfall. I think £5 for every minute I have seen the TARDIS on screen over the years should suffice.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He doesn't really have a case. Antony Colburn didn't invent the TARDIS. He was a writer, told to include it. There's a difference.

The Police Box design, not the idea of the Tardis per se, is what he thinks he should be recompensed for.

I'm not sure how he stands with his argument that his dad's informal agreement with the BBC should now be converted into a formal agreement with himself. Not very steadily, I'd imagine.

Some people are just plain unpleasant, and he sounds like one of them. If I were his mother I'd give him a clock round the earhole and tell him to shut up, but that's just me.
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Police Box design, not the idea of the Tardis per se, is what he thinks he should be recompensed for.

I'm not sure how he stands with his argument that his dad's informal agreement with the BBC should now be converted into a formal agreement with himself. Not very steadily, I'd imagine.

Some people are just plain unpleasant, and he sounds like one of them.

He has even less of a case then! The Metropolitan Police went up against the BBC in 1998 over the TARDIS design - and lost!

Still, GB has been posting quite a bit of dirt on him... Seems like a deeply unpleasant individual who both hates his father (ironically) and Doctor Who for it's success...
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    "and proper lawful recompense" means "I'm after money!"

Fix the comeilian circuits and update it to look like one of those pay public toilets in Leicester Sq. :D
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like he has been sending many tweets to his dead father. The guy is quite clearly a complete fruitcake :D

http://doctorwhoarchive.com/2013/11/10/the-enlightening-tweets-of-stef-coburn/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has even less of a case then! The Metropolitan Police went up against the BBC in 1998 over the TARDIS design - and lost!

Still, GB has been posting quite a bit of dirt on him... Seems like a deeply unpleasant individual who both hates his father (ironically) and Doctor Who for it's success...

Yes, I got the feeling he didn't think much of DW from the piece quoted. :D

He's not saying that his dad invented the design of the Police Box, which I think was the Met's argument, but that he had the idea for using the already existing design for the Tardis.

I know nothing about copyright law, so I don't know how sound his argument is. It sounds rubbish to me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "and proper lawful recompense" means "I'm after money!"

Fix the comeilian circuits and update it to look like one of those pay public toilets in Leicester Sq. :D

Then the people who designed them, or their descendants, will want their cut! :D
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Non-starter. Assume this might be the reason for 'The Unearthly Child' repeat being moot? (Is it going ahead? So much 'Who' stuff stuff recently I've lost track a bit!)

Had no idea the Met tried to take on the Doctor in the late-90's. :eek: No contest. :cool:
  • Options
    DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, this guy had already lost any respect I could have had for him since he said this to a newspaper . . .
    It is by no means my wish to deprive legions of Doctor Who fans (of whom I was never one)
    of any aspect of their favourite children's programme.
    I hope the lawyers take him to the cleaners. He deserves to lose every penny he's spending on this frivolous lawsuit.
  • Options
    Demolished ManDemolished Man Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Non-starter. Assume this might be the reason for 'The Unearthly Child' repeat being moot? (Is it going ahead? So much 'Who' stuff stuff recently I've lost track a bit!)

An Unearthly Child/100,000BC/Tribe of Gum/Serial A/etc is scheduled for a repeat on BBC4, 21st November, starting at 10:30, last I heard.
  • Options
    Demolished ManDemolished Man Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJGM wrote: »
    For me, this guy had already lost any respect I could have had for him since he said this to a newspaper . . .

I hope the lawyers take him to the cleaners. He deserves to lose every penny he's spending on this frivolous lawsuit.

Yeah, he's actually got odd little rants all over the internet about how much he loathes Doctor Who and everything to do with it.

Very odd man.
  • Options
    BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    It looks like he has been sending many tweets to his dead father. The guy is quite clearly a complete fruitcake :D

http://doctorwhoarchive.com/2013/11/10/the-enlightening-tweets-of-stef-coburn/

He seems like a very sad, bitter man. Hopefully he finds something to give him peace and "closure" along the way (though it'd better not be our TARDIS...:p )
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC do allow "BBC people" to become seriously rich nowadays, the trick is to define them as not working for the BBC...

If you are "freelance" then the skys the limit for remuneration.

Maybe he should argue his dad was self-employed.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    lordo350 wrote: »
    Hmmm. So, DW has been back on screens since 2005, yet he waits until 2 weeks before the 50th to start sprouting this crap? Publicity and a load of rubbish. If he'd done it straight away when it first came back, then maybe you could have understood his anger at the BBC. Now? He's doing it for attention and just messing things up for fans.

Thanks alot. Douchebag.

He said the rights to the police box design died with his father back in 1977, so it didn't bother him for the last 12 years of Classic Who either. Altogether he's left it well over 30 years to spout this nonsense. That says it all really.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An Unearthly Child/100,000BC/Tribe of Gum/Serial A/etc is scheduled for a repeat on BBC4, 21st November, starting at 10:30, last I heard.

So straight after 'An Adventure in Time And Space' then. How apt. Thanks, that's good news. "After all, that's how it all started." :)
  • Options
    BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    So straight after 'An Adventure in Time And Space' then. How apt. Thanks, that's good news. "After all, that's how it all started." :)

It's a great choice, isn't it?

Though the sentimental side of me would have preferred 5:15 on the 23rd, on BBC One. :D
  • Options
    StevenRStevenR Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    From what I have read about copyright, my understanding is that, if somebody is a "staff writer", their contract usually states that the copyright is owned by their employer. So this would mean that the copyright would be owned by the BBC, and the "permission" he gave the BBC to use his concept for the TARDIS would be unnecessary. Obviously, this depends on the terms of their contract when they wrote the script.

However, there is also the argument that he did not come up with an original design for the TARDIS but simply decided that it should look like a police box
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like a very odd, damaged little creature.
    Wouldn't give too much thought to him and his delusional claims.
    The Police tried to claim ownership of the box design, and got nowhere.
    They had a much more valid claim than this person.
    He's what we call in the UK a "Chancer".
    Or perhaps just an attention seeker?
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Coburn had demanded that the corporation either stop using the TARDIS in Doctor Who...'

Yeah, whatever cock! :D