Good sleeping tablets that will help me get to sleep this evening...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey all!

Need some advice here, this time on sleeping tablets!

Basically I'm a bit weird... if I fall asleep even for 5-10 minutes, I'm then stuck not being able to sleep for ages at night, usually til around 3-4am!

I'm not sure why this happens, but it is a bit more of 'Oh no I've fallen asleep, now I definetely won't get to sleep til late' thinking, but even when I think I will, I still don't fall asleep.

So!

Can anyone recommend me any off the shelf sleeping tablets that work alright? I've tried 'Boot's' brand ones, and some herbal ones (can't remember the name) but they haven't been much good.

Is Nytol any good? Or anyone else have experience using other counter drugs?

Obviously they won't be as good as prescription, but I don't really have a sleeping problem as such, because some nights I can get a good night's sleep!

Cheers :D

Comments

• yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not a sleeping pill but i found that boots own antihistamines knocked me out everytime. And only 99p for 7!

Have you tried doing some exercise on an evening? I find that swimming really helps me to relax and sleep.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've taken Night Nurse when I had a cold and it completely knocked me out!! Not sure of the medical implications tho:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellie82 wrote: »
    I've taken Night Nurse when I had a cold and it completely knocked me out!! Not sure of the medical implications tho:D

Hah now I've had Night Nurse for when I've had a cold, it's wonderful stuff, if not extremely vile!

Don't think I could bring myself to take it though without actually having a cold, it's not worth the horrible taste!!! :D
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I've recently used Sleep Aid (not sure if it is a brand or ASDAs own) instead of Nytol and they worked well.
  • liquidJPliquidJP Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get some lavender essential oil and put few drops either side of your pillow, works a treat for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe go to a sleep clinic to get some advice and help, I don't have the problem so have no idea, but you really shouldn't keep taking pills for sleeping.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jay2009 wrote: »
    Maybe go to a sleep clinic to get some advice and help, I don't have the problem so have no idea, but you really shount keep taking piulls for sleeping.

I didn't think I mentioned I was regularly taking sleeping tablets every night to help me get to sleep?

Anyway I don't, these are a one off, merely to let me get some sleep tonight (as I'm up early tomorrow) rather than me stuck up til all hours because I fell asleep for about 15 minutes earlier :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f1d wrote: »
    I didn't think I mentioned I was regularly taking sleeping tablets every night to help me get to sleep?

Anyway I don't, these are a one off, merely to let me get some sleep tonight (as I'm up early tomorrow) rather than me stuck up til all hours because I fell asleep for about 15 minutes earlier :D

Hi F1d, I meant in general not just for you.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstly - avoid napping in the day/evenings! :p

Here's some sleeping tips for you from a previous post I made some months back:

I went three months having 'fake' sleep and insomnia during my exams, and it really messed up my head.

The only things that I found helped me were:

Bananas - they contain some enzyme which promotes sleep

Hot Milk - makes sure you're warm and full - being cold and hungry always keeps me awake

Not worrying about being awake - the worst thing you can do is stress out because you aren't sleeping...sounds silly but you can wind yourself up so much you may aswell just get up!

Changing the end of the bed I sleep at, as mentioned before - it breaks the cycle.

Getting up - basically breaking the non-sleep habit and trying again an hour later.

Listening to an Atmos CD in bed - even if it doesn't help you sleep, at least you're still relaxing and conserving energy.

A hot lavender scented microwaveable beanbag - well, yes...lol

Avoiding tv/loud or heavy music before bed - your brain will take longer to switch off afterwards...even reading wakes you up, apparently.

Making up a story in your head, where you are the lead character - this worked for me without fail for about 7 years - I would dream me and my mum were going away, I'd ask her where we were going, the destination would change every night..then I pack each item I need into my suitcase, travel, unpack it all at the other end, create the views and the landscapes etc..a more creative way of counting sheep! At some point during this dream holiday I would always fall asleep.

One word of note, Kalm's never worked, though a sleeping pill did the one and only night I took it. Since then, I've used Rescue Remedy Night which is fab, AND it doesn't contain alcohol like the regular Rescue Remedy does.

All in all, sleep AS SOON AS you feel tired enough and don't force it upon yourself. The worst thing you can do is stay awake past the sleepy feeling and force your brain to wake up again, which I tend to do a lot...

Hope some of this helps!!
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've found Valerian quite good:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lollapalooza - that is excellent advice and certainly what I will be following in the future!

For tonight anyway, I've settled on Nytol which I got from over the counter at the pharmacy in Asda, so not the herbal stuff.

Anyway, does anyone know if it is ok to take nurofen (ibuprofen) with it? No I'm not addicted to drugs, I just have a tooth ache (it just gets worse!!) so want that to be gone while I'm trying to get some sleep!

I've checked the box and leaflet and it doesn't say you can, or can't take ibuprofen and this isn't listed in the ingredients... so I'm assuming it is OK?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum takes prescription sleeping pills - she works nights so they help in the morning after a shift. The last time she ran out I bought her some Sominex, I think they're called. About £3.00 for eight tablets from behind the counter at Boots, very good apparently but meant to be a short term help according the Boots' assistants.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    f1d: Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory and can be taken with nytol. If you are in real agony you can also take paracetamol 4 times a day along with Ibuprofen 3 times daily with food.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I had a tooth abcess the last month and was recommended Co-Codamol. They worked a treat and were about 1/4 of the price of Panadol or other brands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bexy_1234 wrote: »
    f1d: Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory and can be taken with nytol. If you are in real agony you can also take paracetamol 4 times a day along with Ibuprofen 3 times daily with food.

Thanks for that Bexy!

I'm not in real pain with it, I'm in between treatment and going back on Monday to finish it, but it seems to be aching a bit at night times (or if it does during the day, I seem to be less aware of it).

The dentist just said I could take some pain killers in the meantime until I get it finished on Monday - wasn't sure if it conflicted with the nytol, but it doesn't :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No problems - I hope you sleep well and not in too much pain!