Favourite stand up comedian?

Comments

• culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave Allen

I agree, or, rather, his sit down days. I don't think he was as good in his later years on TV when programme makers insisted he stand up.
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a soft spot for the loveable Alan Cochrane.

He hasn't been on the telly for ages but he has a show on the radio.

If you can't bring him to mind you'd probably recognise the face. Here's a picture;

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4695233473806811&pid=1.7&w=217&h=146&c=7&rs=1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like all of the comediens mentioned so far but you have to go back to the best then:
    Dave Allen
    Billy Connoly
    Bob Monkhouse
    Ken Dodd
    The USA has had some of the cream of stand up with Jewish comics that are in a class of their own, they are that good.
    Radio 4extra has wonderfull comedians both old and new and for me a new star is Isy Suttie.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Bill Hicks
    Chris Rock
    Stewart Lee

In the above order
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,953
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    I agree, or, rather, his sit down days. I don't think he was as good in his later years on TV when programme makers insisted he stand up.

But even that could be classed as better than some of the stand up comedy from today imo :D I found his 'stand up' shows just as funny I have to say though. He was a comedy genius and it's a shame we can't have all of his shows repeated now.
  • GlennGlenn Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Ken Dodd

Les Dawson
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    In answer to your question, "what is my favourite comedian?" I would say it is the one that makes me laugh the most.

If you were to ask "Who is my favourite comedian?" then I would say Stewart Lee.

But you didn't ask that.

To be fair , it was clear what he meant . Either way , your first answer makes no sense as the question can't be answered without inserting the words "type of".
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In answer to your question, "what is my favourite comedian?" I would say it is the one that makes me laugh the most.

If you were to ask "Who is my favourite comedian?" then I would say Stewart Lee.

But you didn't ask that.

Um, what:confused:

Although I agree with Stewart Lee, Jim Jeffries & Frankie Boyle.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    Bill Hicks
    Chris Rock
    Stewart Lee

In the above order

Agree totally.

Only routine ever to come close to Hicks' "Killer idea" is Chris Rock's "I love black people but I hate N****s"
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was ancient even in the seventies, but Bob Hope had some excellent stand up. I quite like one of lines where he said he tried to get into England, but it was closed due to industrial action.
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ross Noble, Robin Williams, Doddy, Lee Mack, Kevin Bridges...and those no longer here Chic Murray, Les Dawson,Dickie Henderson
  • rachierachie Posts: 2,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a soft spot for the loveable Alan Cochrane.

He hasn't been on the telly for ages

He was on telly lately on The Alternative Comedy Experience on Comedy Central, which was excellent viewing.

I like nearly everyone that's been mentioned so far, but would also add Paul Foot, Paul Tonkinson and Tim Vine :)

Edit- and Rich Hall!
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Great to see the Cockrel getting some attention, didn't expect that.

Will have to say his co-host Mr Radio is one of my all time favourite stand ups too.
    Frank Skinner, for those who don't listen to his Absolute Radio show (though you should, 3 hours of laughter on a sat morning is the best way to start the weekend!)

And in another list that will be ignored because they're not mainstream enough, here are my favs:

Paul Foot
    Stuart Lee,
    Harry Hill,
    Tim Key (if faux poetry counts :D )
    Richard Herring (his podcasts are excellent, tho I'm not too sure about him playing snooker vs himself :D )
    Reginald D Hunter
    and the comedian I've probably seen the most is someone who I find hysterical but seems to divide my friendship group:
    Mark Watson.

Just love his rambling, improv style.
    Forum Member
    rachie wrote: »
    He was on telly lately on The Alternative Comedy Experience on Comedy Central, which was excellent viewing.

I like nearly everyone that's been mentioned so far, but would also add Paul Foot, Paul Tonkinson and Tim Vine :)

Edit- and Rich Hall!

I said Rich Hall :) He's great, he's very good at interacting with the audience too. I like his Otis Lee Crenshaw character doing the songs with his band :D
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Hall
    Bill Bailey
    Bill Hicks
    Max Keiser (not a comedian but he still cracks me up!) example - http://youtu.be/-ASkas1ThFA?t=1m38s
    Forum Member
    Forgot about Henning Wehn too. He wouldn't tolerate such a failure either. :D
    Forum Member
    Great to see the Cockrel getting some attention, didn't expect that.

Will have to say his co-host Mr Radio is one of my all time favourite stand ups too.
    Frank Skinner, for those who don't listen to his Absolute Radio show (though you should, 3 hours of laughter on a sat morning is the best way to start the weekend!)

And in another list that will be ignored because they're not mainstream enough, here are my favs:

Paul Foot
    Stuart Lee,
    Harry Hill,
    Tim Key (if faux poetry counts :D )
    Richard Herring (his podcasts are excellent, tho I'm not too sure about him playing snooker vs himself :D )
    Reginald D Hunter
    and the comedian I've probably seen the most is someone who I find hysterical but seems to divide my friendship group:
    Mark Watson.

Just love his rambling, improv style.

Yes Mark Watson does tend to divide people. I think he's one of the funny ones from recent times, he makes me laugh anyway :)

Eddie Izzard's another of my faves. He's got a sort of rambling, improv style too. He's very clever when you think he can do stand up in different languages too :D

How about Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy? What do people think?
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ricky Gervais
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alexis07 wrote: »
    To be fair , it was clear what he meant . Either way , your first answer makes no sense as the question can't be answered without inserting the words "type of".

I know it was clear what he meant. My response was a very obscure reference to Lee's routine in Carpet Remnant World concerning an internet comment about Bin Laden "...roast him alive so he can see what it feels like"

Anyway, my first answer makes perfect sense. The words "type of" are inherent in the word "What..." If one points at an object and says "What is that?", other people don't stare at you blankly until you say "Sorry, what type of thing is that?" "Oh, now i understand you, its an orange"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »
    David Cameron.

Bungtin has to be the best new up comming comedian.

1st GENUINE LAUGH of the thread.

others also include

Lee Evans
    Russell Howard
    Frankie Boyle
    ect...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Edit- and Rich Hall!

He is on with Frank Skinner on Saturday mornings on Absolute Radio....
    Forum Member
    Bungtin has to be the best new up comming comedian.

1st GENUINE LAUGH of the thread.

others also include

Lee Evans
    Russell Howard
    Frankie Boyle
    ect...

Are we here to give you GENUINE LAUGHS or merely to be a pointer to the people who can provide such GENUINE LAUGHS? :p

P.S. Frankie Boyle forgot how to be funny a while ago now.
    While he used to be hilarious with an edge to him, now he just thinks "who can I outrage today" and forgets to put any jokes in while he's trying (and succeeding) to be as offensive as possible.
  • wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I like Alan Cochrane a lot too.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that really enjoyed The Alternative Comedy Experience. Shame it's ended now. Fingers crossed for a second series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it was clear what he meant. My response was a very obscure reference to Lee's routine in Carpet Remnant World concerning an internet comment about Bin Laden "...roast him alive so he can see what it feels like"

Anyway, my first answer makes perfect sense. The words "type of" are inherent in the word "What..." If one points at an object and says "What is that?", other people don't stare at you blankly until you say "Sorry, what type of thing is that?" "Oh, now i understand you, its an orange"

Think you will find that the answer is a lemon tbh.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/7/messages/1209.html
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alexis07 wrote: »
    Think you will find that the answer is a lemon tbh.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/7/messages/1209.html

Very clever.
    I was not aware of that phrase at all other than a duff car being described as a lemon.
    Whilst the OP sarcastically claimed school was in session, I genuinely claim it.