Options

Air con re-gassing

Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone had this done? Never normally use mine but its been so hot lately but mine doesnt seem to make much difference in the car so suspect it needs a regas. Halfords are offering a deal but a friend used them to change bulbs in his car and they were a right dozy lot. Any opinions?:cool:

Comments

• Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of places , don't use Halfords

U should use your ac at least on e a week
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had mine done at a local garage but I still can't tell the difference, so can't trust it was done properly. Wish I'd gone somewhere reputable, such as Kwikfit (who were the same price anyway).
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    Wish I'd gone somewhere reputable, such as Kwikfit (who were the same price anyway).

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o The only reputation Kwik Fit has something to do with Butch Cassidy, Sundance, The Lone Ranger, etc - i.e. a bunch of cowboys!

I wouldn't go to Kwik Fit even as a last resort!
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Just had mine done at a local garage but I still can't tell the difference, so can't trust it was done properly. Wish I'd gone somewhere reputable, such as Kwikfit (who were the same price anyway).

:D:D: :D:D
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I went to Kwikfit. The process took absolutely ages (maybe an hour hooked up to some automatic machine), probably to make it look worth the money, otherwise spending 20 seconds filling up with gas might not seem good value when you're spending £45.

It did make it much colder - for about 3 weeks. Then it was back as it was. There was clearly something else wrong but fixing it properly will cost a fortune. (A shame their highly sophisticated computerised equipment couldn't tell there was a problem and that regassing was futile.)
  • Options
    sparrysparry Posts: 2,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our local Ford dealer tries to get my mum to pay to have hers re-gassed on its first service. They had had the car a year but it had only done 3000 miles. My mum argued and refused to pay and they eventually agreed to re gas it under its warranty
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Air cons leak if you do not use them ... The refrigerant keeps the seals damp..
    So use it all the time or certainly every week.
    I find it if greatest use in the winter to demist the windscreens.
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    I went to kwik fit couple of yrs ago, re gas and check for leaks plus a pollen filter £65.
    couldn't fault them.

you have to use the AC for a few hours monthly as it lubricates the the rubber 'o' rings, if you don't they become brittle and you lose the gas....yes lose, not loose
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had it done monday by an independent garage,took 40 minutes,cost £40.

Never everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr go to Halfrauds/Kwikrip
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my condenser was replaced last year under warranty..

so anybody not using their ac as they are being mingebags over petrol, beware.

that was a £400 repair..:o
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone had this done? Never normally use mine but its been so hot lately but mine doesnt seem to make much difference in the car so suspect it needs a regas. Halfords are offering a deal but a friend used them to change bulbs in his car and they were a right dozy lot. Any opinions?:cool:

If u don't use your AC hardly at all and have not looked after it through the years, u may discover that a simple £50 re-glass doesn't make much difference. The next step up from that is to have the AC serviced, which involves a full strip down of the system, replacement of vital filters, as well as re-gassing the system. On a regular car I would expect this to cost around £150.

AC is a chemical analogue system, it needs to be used once a week (approx) to keep the chemicals moving around. If it's left to stand the system can get blocked up. Also there is a risk of diseases growing inside a system that is never used or has not been serviced for many years.

Don't forget, with the temp set to hot, AC can still be used to help defrost and warm up a car in winter.

These rules also apply to climate control systems which are basically the same thing but with much more advanced control over the temp, much like a home central heating system.

AC or climate control is expensive if it fails like the pump goes, as happened on my last car. That little experience cost me nearly £600 (total price, parts, labour, vat). But generally that's not due to lack of use, just down to cr@p parts being used.

I would never buy a car for everyday use that didn't have AC. After getting back in the car after it's been standing in the sun is like sitting in an oven at the moment. Having the window down doesn't make much difference and ofcourse uses fuel just as having the AC on does. They don't measure the fuel economy in a wind tunnel with the windows open! It's also important to remember that having AC on +'windows open is a bad idea, the cold air will escape and the hot air will get in. It's fighting a loosing battle.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make sure you get it checked for leaks. If you don't, you'll end up like @valentine...wasting your time and money.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    so anybody not using their ac as they are being mingebags over petrol, beware.

In my experience (and I log all petrol I use) it makes no difference whatsoever - I recall MythBusters did accurate tests, and found little difference.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/air-conditioning-vs-windows-minimyth.htm

Just watched that clip - and it's NOT the same one as I saw on the TV previously?
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The smaller the engine, e.g. 1.2ltr will use more fuel, compared to a bigger engine, e.g. 2,.0ltr

I have a 2 litre and always have my AC on. It makes about 2mpg difference. The negligible amount is far out weighed by need to be comfortable and alert while driving.
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband has a friend who is a black cab driver, I took my Fiat Croma to the taxi garage that services his cab.
    They re-gassed the A/C and now the interior of my car is like being at the South Pole.
    £50, and with an 18 months guarantee.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for leaks, some people might be concerned that they are finding little pools of liquid under the car after ending a trip where the AC or climate control was on right to the end. Not to worry, it's condensation falling of the unit. It tends to happen what it's especially humid, and proves the system is working well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    artnada wrote: »
    The smaller the engine, e.g. 1.2ltr will use more fuel, compared to a bigger engine, e.g. 2,.0ltr

I have a 2 litre and always have my AC on. It makes about 2mpg difference. The negligible amount is far out weighed by need to be comfortable and alert while driving.

Mines only 1.3L, and I see no difference at all, sometimes it's higher with, sometimes higher without - depends entirely on the exact journey and traffic.

But regardless, I'd still have it on even if it did cost more :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mines on all of the time as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mines on all of the time as well

I don't have mine on if it's a cold day :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kwik-Fit are actually OK for air con regassing. Just don't let them convince you that you're desperate for 4x shock absorbers, a new exhaust and a full brake replacement at the same time. They often (or maybe all the time?) do an offer where if it's not 10% colder then you pay nothing, which is handy if you don't know whether it works or not.

Aircon is an increased load on the engine so there must be some extra fuel use, however negligable. It would be impossible for there not to be.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kwik-Fit are actually OK for air con regassing. Just don't let them convince you that you're desperate for 4x shock absorbers, a new exhaust and a full brake replacement at the same time. They often (or maybe all the time?) do an offer where if it's not 10% colder then you pay nothing, which is handy if you don't know whether it works or not.

Aircon is an increased load on the engine so there must be some extra fuel use, however negligable. It would be impossible for there not to be.

Has anyone done a test on fuel consumption with windows closed or open? A roof rack will destroy the aerodynamics of a car and increase fuel consumption as no doubt will open windows.
  • Options
    TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But you should if its wet as it stops the windows misting up
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,900
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    Has anyone done a test on fuel consumption with windows closed or open? A roof rack will destroy the aerodynamics of a car and increase fuel consumption as no doubt will open windows.

I think Mythbusters did a test like this some time ago, can't remember the outcome.

But I think at slow engine revs such as during town driving, opening the window and switching off AC gives the best results - open windows wont affect drag much at those speeds but turning on AC at low revs will make it work harder.

At higher speeds such as motorway driving, close the windows and turn on the AC - open windows will have a greater effect on wind resistance at higher speeds but turning on the AC while the engine is already at say 2000 revs wont result in the engine having to do much additional work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do, just increase the temperature if required
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tiexen wrote: »
    But you should if its wet as it stops the windows misting up

I do in the winter when it's misted up, but only until it's cleared - then it's not needed.