Sky News and Charlie Hebdo - pathetic lack of solidarity

epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Clip of what happened when a Charlie Hebdo employee tried to show cover of the new issue on Sky News. Interview stopped and apology to viewers given! :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMbwcBYT0DI

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    epsom wrote: »
    Clip of what happened when a Charlie Hebdo employee tried to show cover of the new issue on Sky News. Interview stopped and apology to viewers given! :(

The BBC have always given a warning before broadcasting it (or displaying it on their webpage), maybe it was the unexpectedness that was the issue for sky...
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Al-Jazeera had also blurred the cover image of Charlie Hebdo. Free press, my ass.
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC have always given a warning before broadcasting it (or displaying it on their webpage), maybe it was the unexpectedness that was the issue for sky...
    The Sky woman said it was their policy not to show the cover!
  • 10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky are not Charlie.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,507
    Forum Member
    Only the BBC, Independent and Guardian are Charlie.

Charlie Hebdo employee was a bit slow and should have held it up higher. Presenter looked seriously embarrassed by her own company's pathetic editorial policy.

Pathetic for Sky and the rest of the media except those who showed it. >:(
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I missing something here?

What is wrong with not showing the cover?

Surely freedom means to have a choice to do something, or to not do something, if Sky, or whomever don't wish to show something, then that is entirely up to them.
    That is surely what having a choice is all about isn't it?

So if they decide to not show a cover of something, shouldn't that be fine, as that is press freedom in action, the freedom to chose what they want to do.

I have no issue with their decision to not show the cover.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I missing something here?

It would appear so.

One must conclude, given the material that Sky News DOES air that they are doing so from fear of reprisals.

That goes entirely against the grain of freedom of speech and the press.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Its not that Sky are not free press. Its that Sky and other media organisations are afraid of reprisal attacks for showing it. Just for daring to depict the Prophet, 12 people lost their lives at Charlie Hebdo. So its made everyone else shit-scared of the same if they chose to show it.
    They're also afraid of OFCOM hitting them HARD if its found to be offensive.
    Plus they have to content with idiots like Anjem Choudary saying this front cover is an act of war.

There is more to it than not being free press.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,975
    Forum Member
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »
    It would appear so.

One must conclude, given the material that Sky News DOES air that they are doing so from fear of reprisals.

That goes entirely against the grain of freedom of speech and the press.

But the freedom of the press does mean they don't have to show it if it's their policy not to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the freedom of the press does mean they don't have to show it if it's their policy not to.

Indeed. But it depends on their reasoning.

Tonight they've been showing the video from AQ threatening "us" if "we" don't stop insulting their religion.

It seems to me that if Sky had any legitimate reason beyond "we're scared of the consequences", they would explain it.

I don't blame them for being afraid, we've seen the potential impact but this, frankly is cowardice in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    Well with respect, you aren't going to work there tomorrow so you don't have to worry about the potential fall out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well with respect, you aren't going to work there tomorrow so you don't have to worry about the potential fall out.

I wouldn't have became a journalist if i wasn't prepared to take a few risks to uphold the freedom of the press.
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't have became a journalist if i wasn't prepared to take a few risks to uphold the freedom of the press.

And what about all the non journalists that work for Sky News? The people that answer phones or clean toilets?

They have upheld freedom of the press. They have the freedom to choose whether or not to broadcast the image.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what about all the non journalists that work for Sky News? The people that answer phones or clean toilets?

They have upheld freedom of the press. They have the freedom to choose whether or not to broadcast the image.

It's nothing to do with them. If the company does something they disapprove of, they can always leave.

Journalism is about informing people about the story and that is sometimes risky. It is NOT there to employ a few cooks and cleaners!

Anyway, I can't believe someone is so naive as to be making the points you are.

Good night.
    Forum Member
    It's nothing to do with them. If the company does something they disapprove of, they can always leave.

Journalism is about informing people about the story and that is sometimes risky. It is NOT there to employ a few cooks and cleaners!

Good night.

And I can't believe someone banging on about freedom of the press is having a go at a company using their freedom to not show something.

It's everything to do with them. Who do you think the first people a gun waving lunatic is going to see walking into Sky News? It's likely gonna be a receptionist not a journalist.

They have informed people of the story. Have they banned mention of the magazine? Do you need a visual to understand a basic story?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I can't believe someone banging on about freedom of the press is having a go at a company using their freedom to not show something.

It's everything to do with them. Who do you think the first people a gun waving lunatic is going to see walking into Sky News? It's likely gonna be a receptionist not a journalist.

They have informed people of the story. Have they banned mention of the magazine? Do you need a visual to understand a basic story?

I think you need to learn about journalism.
    Forum Member

Good night.

Sorry Geoff, you're wrong.
    Sky have a right to choose to show it or not, they have exercised that right under the freedoms in-which we live. Within the democracy we live.
    Just because you want it on Sky News and them making the call to not show it doesn't make it any less a freedom.
    Forum Member
    I think you need to learn about journalism.

I think you need to think about what freedom of the press means.
    Forum Member
    Geoff, why are you also not attacking Digital Spy for not showing it?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just that the company owning Sky News have business interests around the world?

Didn't Murdoch once make big concessions to the Chinese because he was trying to break into the Chinese markets and did not want to upset the Chinese government?
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epsom wrote: »

I assume to show solidarity you are going to purchase a copy of the latest issue and sellotape the front cover to your front window (prophet side facing outwards)?
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,939
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Is it just that the company owning Sky News have business interests around the world?

Didn't Murdoch once make big concessions to the Chinese because he was trying to break into the Chinese markets and did not want to upset the Chinese government?

Pretty much, IIRC his satellite companies self censor in countries that might get offended with reports of things like lack of human rights, or news articles that upset the government.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume to show solidarity you are going to purchase a copy of the latest issue and sellotape the front cover to your front window (prophet side facing outwards)?
    Although I assumed it would be obvious, in this case solidarity between journalists, and an interest in fully informing their audience!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a clip of a discussion of the incident later on Sky News.

http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2015/01/15/sky-s-job-is-to-broadcast-the-news-not-censor-it
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good night.

There would be no Sky News without the people you deem inconsequential.