The Sweeney.

2»

Comments

• logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the shout! I don't mean to rag on it too much,it just was such a missed opportunity all round.
  • Chris197800Chris197800 Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get all the hate, I thought this was one of the best movies I've seen in the last few years and possibly makes my top 20 all time best. If you spend too much time analysing a film like this you will hate it, the movie was clearly designed as a throwback to 80's American cop films with a British spin on it with the Sweeney name attached to spark further interest, I never watched the TV series so can't comment on the comparisons.

Point is you're not supposed to take it too seriously, just enjoy the action packed entertainment. I agree Plan B acting like he's Tupac does get a little old but I can live with that as I know he's just being himself. Ray Winstone is a legend and still plays the hardman role very convincingly.
    Lighten up people and just enjoy the film.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was OK in a violent, macho kind of way, but it should not be called The Sweeney.
  • man in the parkman in the park Posts: 4,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    n utter disgrace of a movie. everyone from director down should be embarrassed by this mess. Whoever thought uber plank Plan B could act should be marched in front of a firing squad pretty damn quick.Avoid at all costs
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A combination of a bad director and bad actors was a recipe for a disaster for this movie.

A cast of unpleasant characters, the only guy that seemed to have any morales was the Internal Affairs guy, and he was treated like crap throughout the movie, Winstone getting away with throttling him.

And the rapper/actor was a walking parody of the British youth.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    I didn't bother watching this as I'd seen it before on DVD.

As a child of the 70s I was really looking forward to it and though RW could pull it off.

I was totally disappointed. Awful direction, awful casting and awful writing.

Ben Drew as "SGT (FFS) Carter" was ridiculous.

This should have been so good but they failed miserably.

Idris Elba and Keely Hawes would have been a more convincing (contemporary) choice.

Green was only in it for the US audience (no offence).

Trouble is, the damage is done and I can't see anyone trying again.>:(
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recorded this last night and watched it today. Ray Winston and Ben Drew aka Plan B are brilliant in it. Great film, would definitely recommend it!:D:cool:

If you remember the original you wouldn't say that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    terry45 wrote: »
    If you remember the original you wouldn't say that.

I sort of do and i would.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of Hayley Atwell and she was the only reason I watched this, but the relationship between her and Winstone's character was just ridiculous! At least if her relationship had been with Plan B's character it might have been vaguely believable.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    I didn't bother watching this as I'd seen it before on DVD.

As a child of the 70s I was really looking forward to it and though RW could pull it off.

I was totally disappointed. Awful direction, awful casting and awful writing.

Ben Drew as "SGT (FFS) Carter" was ridiculous.

This should have been so good but they failed miserably.

Idris Elba and Keely Hawes would have been a more convincing (contemporary) choice.

Green was only in it for the US audience (no offence).

Trouble is, the damage is done and I can't see anyone trying again.>:(
    Too.

Many.

Paragraphs.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get all the hate, I thought this was one of the best movies I've seen in the last few years and possibly makes my top 20 all time best. If you spend too much time analysing a film like this you will hate it, the movie was clearly designed as a throwback to 80's American cop films with a British spin on it with the Sweeney name attached to spark further interest, I never watched the TV series so can't comment on the comparisons.

Point is you're not supposed to take it too seriously, just enjoy the action packed entertainment. I agree Plan B acting like he's Tupac does get a little old but I can live with that as I know he's just being himself. Ray Winstone is a legend and still plays the hardman role very convincingly.
    Lighten up people and just enjoy the film.

Some of us do know the original very well. It was gritty, British drama which questioned some institutional values and methods. Quite brilliant at times and it translated quite well to the cinema in the earlier versions.

On its own merits you may be right about the new version, just don't call it The Sweeney.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it last night.... Christ it was crap! only stayed with it cos I was a bit tired/tipsy and just wanted to flop.
    I was hoping it'd have the classic Sweeney Theme Tune and I could get all revved up singing along (I know it's an instrumental but I like to sing THE SWEENEY! THE SWEENEY! der der der der der tah der-der to it...... doesn't everyone???) but it had some shitty mournful theme that killed my mood.
    Anyway, everyone associated with the film ought to be ashamed of themselves cos it was truly bad and not even so-bad-it's-good either.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Too.

Many.

Paragraphs.

Get yer strides on son.

We're the Sweeney.

And we aven't ad any dinna.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not as bad as the Rollerball remake.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember it being bad but not nearly as bad as Welcome To The Punch.