Google Earth VS Bing Maps 3D

fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,488
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi
I find Bing to have much clearer and sharper and more updated views than google earth over Clacton and Essex region.
Have a look and check out your street from above see what's best?
Though Google is better for street view.

Comments

• Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

please don't answer for me

ok, i will do
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did Google Maps lose the rights to some photos or something? Up until a few months ago my area was very clear and detailed. Now it's taken a step backward, in time as well as detail! Street view hasn't changed of course.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,252
    Forum Member
    Didn't even know Bing had maps!
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I use Open Street Map where possible
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I use Open Street Map where possible
    What do you do if it's a closed street?

:D
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    What do you do if it's a closed street?

:D

That is just awful :p
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bird's eye view on Bing Maps is far better than Google satellite view, but the pictures of my area are over 7 years old. Google is better for streetview though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bing looks nice and seems to put less strain on my browser, but Google Street would be my preference. If it wasn't for all the people gawping at the Google camera it would be even better. Also, I noticed that areas of Frankfurt in Google Street have nearly as much stuff blurred out as it shows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can see me on Bing Bird's Eye, fixing the car
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Both are rubbish and THE map people on line system is poor.

Something like googles maps with decent maps from OS would win
  • BillyCasperBillyCasper Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used the found my iPhone app the other day. The building I work in and the building next door don't exist. Next door was built 5 years ago. That uses Google maps.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Streetmap has OS maps but doesn't have a Street View feature:

http://streetmap.co.uk/

Google Maps are next to useless in rural areas and are quite shockingly lacking in detail.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member

Bing has OS maps, just change the drop down (and you have to be quite zoomed in for the detail to show.)

Bing birds eye also sometimes has clearer shots as you rotate round, so if the first view isn't that clear, try spinning it.

Streetview is fantastic for what it is and so is Bing - one that combined both would be the winner!
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both still well outdated for satellite views of my town they still show Woolworths LOL so that is well old :D
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Google Maps are next to useless in rural areas and are quite shockingly lacking in detail.
    For a while now, Google Maps has allowed users to make improvements to their mapping (not the aerial photos, of course), so you could make your local area as detailed as you like, within the fairly strict restraints which they apply. I have made a lot of improvements to the coverage around here.
  • DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How often do they update google maps? I looked at my house and car on the drive is from over 4 years ago and I now drive a newer one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both still really out dated been a lot of new shops built and there not on both.
    Still says from 2006 on google its now 2014.
    Will the satellite images ever be updated?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    I find Bing to have much clearer and sharper and more updated views than google earth over Clacton and Essex region.

Google's the clearest when I zoom into buildings and what not in my area. Bing's satellite image of my area is too grainy when I zoom in at the same distance as I do with Google maps. I'm looking forward to the next generation of satellite images that's supposed to be being used by Google and Microsoft when they get allowed access to a much better satellite. For now though, for me, Google is the clear winner. In my opinion, Google's superior with Street View as well. The detail in street view is much better with Google than it is with Microsoft. The images in Microsoft's street view look a bit patchy in places whereas with Google's Street View images, they look more detailed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just noticed there is now a clock icon on here and you can change the date and has updated till 2012/12 so least its updated.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8592/16324656456_93e9be6c55_o.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Street view has also been updated for my town looks like was done a few weeks back as the hole is for sale next door.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    For my town the Streetview has been updated for the town centre. I can now scroll between the old view and new view (2 years difference) and see the changes in town.

Outskirts are still old though. My old car is still on the drive :D