The Big Holby City Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    wiggles247 wrote: »
    But that wasn't what was implied in last weeks episode - they definitely made it sound like it was his job that got in the way (hence Rachel not wanting to follow in his professional footsteps.)

And I agree miaow - Sacha would definitely be my choice of fictional/TV dad!!

It certainly wasn't what was implied last week. Either Rachel is just being defensive or a 'teenager' about it or they have retconned it somewhat.

The only time i ever remember Sacha putting work 'before' family (as we're often treated to seeing Connie and Jac do - like Connie ignoring Grace's telephone call a couple of weeks ago or Jac operating instead of preparing for Emma's Christening) was when he obviously didn't want to go home on Xmas Day offering to stay on even though it was quiet and i think that was because he didn't want to deal with his Mum and Chrissie sniping at each other.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wiggles247 wrote: »
    But that wasn't what was implied in last weeks episode - they definitely made it sound like it was his job that got in the way (hence Rachel not wanting to follow in his professional footsteps.)

And I agree miaow - Sacha would definitely be my choice of fictional/TV dad!!

Yes, I get that that wasn't what was implied last week - as others have said, they have retconned it somewhat.

Or perhaps that is the way that Rachel sees it, which is never quite the same thing.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    Yes, I get that that wasn't what was implied last week - as others have said, they have retconned it somewhat.

Or perhaps that is the way that Rachel sees it, which is never quite the same thing.

Exactly. A child or teenagers perception (especially when upset) could be far from the truth. I'm not saying this is what happened but just one missed Sports Day or Concert could get built up in the mind. And frankly that is inevitable. Due to my parents professions (both of which involved less hours than most Doctors) my Parents were never at School events as during the day my Mother was teaching at another School and my Dad's commute meant he never got home until 8pm even if he'd finished at 6pm so too late for after school events. But that's life.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What will it take to get Zosia from working on the ward?!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, I missed a chunk just now but why is Adele in the theatre? She seems to be there just to chat.
  • skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I'm sure it comes as a surprise to no-one that Aiden was the father of Rachel's baby. His reaction to the news, though, did come as a surprise, although I'm yet to make my mind up as to whether he's being responsible or being a paedophile. He does come across as a bit sleazy but that might be bad acting. (Or good acting, if he's meant to be like that.) Sacha's reaction, sadly, was no surprise. I basically like Sacha, although this storyline hasn't shown him at his best, and I fully understand his point of view, but he's being a bit dogmatic for my taste. I'm not sure that unilaterally denying his grandchild a father, either by putting him in jail or virtually blackmailing Rachel to stay away from him, is entirely called for at this point; his better option might be to grin and bear it, and if Aiden does turn out to be unreliable then be ready to pick up the pieces.

A bit soon for Zosia to be back on the ward making smug judgements about patients. Even sooner for Fletch to be grinning like a loon, with only a few lines of dialogue to remind us he's got four children who've just lost their mother. Then again, it's probably his dream come true. I was hoping we wouldn't go down the route of Mary-Claire pining after Harry again, but I think he has changed since their last fling and maybe has too so...okay, run with it for now. Serena irritated me with only about a minute of screen time. Guy irritated me with about three minutes of screen time.

Adele also irritated me, although not continuously. (I'd query why no-one seems to sing the "Thy choicest gifts in store" verse of the National Anthem anymore, but she probably chose Verse 4 to make a point to Mo.) The scenes between the "sisters" did feel believably awkward: On one level everything's changed, on another nothing's changed. It does seem like the show's already forgotten there's a third "sister" though: Anyone going to fill in Celia? I'm assuming that Adele's meant to be studying to be a nurse in addition to her day job as an HCA, which would make her presence in theatre a bit less random.
  • hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never liked Whiney Rachel. Sacha has saved her life, twice, adores her and sees her when he can. She in turn moans and sulks, then hops into bed with her 25-year old teacher and gets knocked up. THEN goes into a strop when Sacha finds out and tries to take his legally obligated action..

Hate Whiney Rachel.

Oh, and GET ZOSIA OUT OF MEDICINE!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    What will it take to get Zosia from working on the ward?!!!

Just watching the ep and was wondering what the hell she's doing there. Thought she had gone to see her grandparents. Sigh...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh. Don't like that teacher of Rachel's at all
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fiagomez wrote: »
    getting experience apparently (rolls eye's)

I expect she'll watch one op and be experienced enough to perform a double lung and heart transplant :D
  • cloverclover Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skteosk wrote: »
    Adele also irritated me, although not continuously. (I'd query why no-one seems to sing the "Thy choicest gifts in store" verse of the National Anthem anymore, but she probably chose Verse 4 to make a point to Mo.)

I noticed that, too. I said in my episode review, "Adele... was the only person in the known universe who knew an obscure verse of ‘God Save the Queen,’ which contains a line about everyone being one family. We can therefore add to the long list of ‘Adele’s Skills’ being able to brains-speak via the medium of song." :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serena in the office doing paperwork like an actual normal consultant!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot better written than recent episodes I thought
  • crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Just watching the ep and was wondering what the hell she's doing there. Thought she had gone to see her grandparents. Sigh...

Loved Sacha snappping at her and Dom:D:D:D Long overdue
  • Sara_PittSara_Pitt Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    If I'm not mistaken, there is no such verse of the National Anthem. (I checked the present verses and all the obscure historical ones.) Sorry for the anal retention!

I did like Kreepy's acting. The eyes and minor facial expressions especially.

Good to see Fletch following form on the "male parent of kids down the pub after work" rule. His wife's not even buried yet. First episode after her death, and he's obviously not got a nanny because he's so skint Marie-Claire is buying him his drinks "until we're drunk".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara_Pitt wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, there is no such verse of the National Anthem. (I checked the present verses and all the obscure historical ones.) Sorry for the anal retention!

I did like Kreepy's acting. The eyes and minor facial expressions especially.

Good to see Fletch following form on the "male parent of kids down the pub after work" rule. His wife's not even buried yet. First episode after her death, and he's obviously not got a nanny because he's so skint Marie-Claire is buying him his drinks "until we're drunk".

Maybe Fletch has been taking fatherhood lessons from Jonny. He always seems to be at the pub as well.

I expect Adele made that verse up as she's been personally asked by the Royal Family to think up some new lyrics.

Is Kreepy the teacher? If so I thought he was vile as well as creepy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Sacha snappping at her and Dom:D:D:D Long overdue

Yes I wish he'd done that ages ago.

And i noticed from last week that Dom seems to have reverted to being his normal gossipy lounging around self after trying to be "a serious doctor" after the NY episode. That lasted all of five minutes then
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sacha was the best thing in that episode, for me. I loved him losing it and letting rip at everyone. Dom's face was a picture. Rachel was a bit too lippy imo and Sacha let her away with it - I know he is trying to be supportive but she was a bit madam-ish I thought.

Darwin is quite boring when it is Effanga centred, they just don't have enough umph to carry it off, and Jesse being well, a Jessie, over Adele is sickening. Even Jonny taking on Selfie is more entertaining than watching whatever Adele's new skill of the week may be.

Fletch being all jolly grated. His (ex) wife is barely cold and he is off boozing - hello? who is minding his four bereaved children?? Must be the same person who minds Emma when Jonny is off getting p*ssed with Mo.

Maybe I was taken in by the murdering wife but I quite liked her and it made sense that her mood swings were brought on by her illness - Sacha was right to encourage her to appeal it. Or maybe she was just a very convincing liar and a good actress!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skteosk wrote: »
    The scenes between the "sisters" did feel believably awkward: On one level everything's changed, on another nothing's changed. It does seem like the show's already forgotten there's a third "sister" though: Anyone going to fill in Celia?
    The show's forgotten that they didn't confirm if Adele and Mo share the same dad or not.
    I expect she'll watch one op and be experienced enough to perform a double lung and heart transplant :D
    :D:D
  • skteoskskteosk Posts: 19,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clover wrote: »
    I noticed that, too. I said in my episode review, "Adele... was the only person in the known universe who knew an obscure verse of ‘God Save the Queen,’ which contains a line about everyone being one family. We can therefore add to the long list of ‘Adele’s Skills’ being able to brains-speak via the medium of song." :D
    Sara_Pitt wrote: »
    I expect Adele made that verse up as she's been personally asked by the Royal Family to think up some new lyrics.
    Er...well, I've actually seen that verse several times in the past and even sung it, and when I googled British National Anthem the first result had it listed as Verse 4, like I said. I do miss Verse 3 though.
    myss wrote: »
    The show's forgotten that they didn't confirm if Adele and Mo share the same dad or not.
    They didn't confirm it because they never suggested it, it's pure fan theory. It may turn out to be true, but since the show's already explained the connection to the Effangas, that Mo's mother is the sister of Adele's mother, I wouldn't be surprised if it's never mentioned.
  • millysshawmillysshaw Posts: 2,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Self annoyed me this week, when he interrupted Sachs in surgery to tell him to fix the problem what did he think Sacha was doing operating on her???

That saying I loved Sacha this week and Digby . Would it be serendipity if Marie-Clare got with Raf in the end. But I don't think I could watch another round of Harry and Raf.

Once Sachs tells Rachael's mum think they should inform the school, after all the teacher was quire prepared for Rachael seem like someone who sleeps with a bloke she does not know and get pregnant. It was only because Sachs did not believe it and went looking after a hint from another patient that he found out. Probably the teachers idea that she slept with some random bloke.
  • ScreamingTree<3ScreamingTree<3 Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I missed a few Holby City Episodes, Could someone please tell me how Michael Spence left this time round and was the door left open for him?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching Holby for a while and I didn't feel this was the best episode to have come back to. For me Sacha just cannot sustain my interest as a main story. I was willing him to shout at Self though when he interrupted him in theatre.

I found Adele incredibly smug and irritating which I didn't think she was last time I tuned in - is this Jesse's influence?

AAU was just boring and disjointed. And they completely wasted Serena, although her tiny scene was still better than anything Harry managed throughout the episode (confession: I have a deep dislike of Jules Knight after hearing how he spoke to someone I know).
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Layla_K wrote: »
    (confession: I have a deep dislike of Jules Knight after hearing how he spoke to someone I know).

Oh dear, what did he say?

I agree with the various comments re Fletch, his demeanour this week was ludicrous. If someone hadn't seen the previous ep they'd never know anything dramatic had just happened to him and his children. And as if he'd casually go off boozing, clearly in a jolly enough mood, when there are 4 just bereaved children that he's now the sole carer for. Ridiculous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    srhgts wrote: »
    Oh dear, what did he say?

I agree with the various comments re Fletch, his demeanour this week was ludicrous. If someone hadn't seen the previous ep they'd never know anything dramatic had just happened to him and his children. And as if he'd casually go off boozing, clearly in a jolly enough mood, when there are 4 just bereaved children that he's now the sole carer for. Ridiculous.

I don't want to go into detail but suffice to say he's a snobbish tw*t! Can certainly see where they've a lot of Harry's characteristics from.

I didn't realise Fletch's wife died! WTF - why was he going for a drink with MC then? Who was minding his grieving children? That is so off!
This discussion has been closed.