Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    amysmum wrote: »
    That was a plain white envelope that Leanne handed to Gail. Whenever I have had to sign for a letter it has a recorded or registered sticker on it.

David had to sign for it though so it was maybe recorded.
  • Options
    KathySparkKathySpark Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valtimmy wrote: »
    Is the difference that David is married to Kylie and Tyrone wasn't? I am not sure now.

David is named on the birth cert as the father and married to Kylie, which means that he has a right to take samples from Lilly. Also it was a private test and would not stand up in a court of law which is what Tyrone needed. Who was to know who David took the swabs off. If he wanted to say he wasn't Lilly's father he could have taken the swabs from any where.
  • Options
    EmrysEmrys Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    From personal experience involving DNA tests:

About four years ago my twin sister and I took a DNA test to see whether we were identical or not (when we were born in the late 80's the medical staff told our parents we were non-identical for various reasons but we look very very similar).

We had to send in ten swabs each, not one, to Kings College Hospital in London, and waited a couple of months, not a day, for the results.

We got a letter very similar to David's that contained a list of sixteen DNA markers saying that there was a probability of 99.99998683% that we are identical, with a confidence level of 1 in 7593629 :D

So there was a bit of truth in how the writers handled this storyline regarding the details of the results, but to be honest I'm glad the didn't have him waiting months for results, as it's starting to drag a bit now. And apparently there is no test that can give 100% accuracy.
  • Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    Okay, thanks for the reminder.

But do you know if they were blood brothers could a DNA sample be 100% ?

I thought your own DNA was like your own fingerprints that no one else has. They are unique to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought your own DNA was like your own fingerprints that no one else has. They are unique to you.

I think this is right. I think that they can rule out somebody being the father easier than they can rule that somebody is 100% the father. That is why if there are two people that could be the father they would rather test both.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Emrys wrote: »
    From personal experience involving DNA tests:

About four years ago my twin sister and I took a DNA test to see whether we were identical or not (when we were born in the late 80's the medical staff told our parents we were non-identical for various reasons but we look very very similar).

We had to send in ten swabs each, not one, to Kings College Hospital in London, and waited a couple of months, not a day, for the results.

We got a letter very similar to David's that contained a list of sixteen DNA markers saying that there was a probability of 99.99998683% that we are identical, with a confidence level of 1 in 7593629 :D

So there was a bit of truth in how the writers handled this storyline regarding the details of the results, but to be honest I'm glad the didn't have him waiting months for results, as it's starting to drag a bit now.
    DNA tests today can be done as quick as a day or two, depending if you have contacts/dedicated team to look at the case and pay a generous amount of cash.

The fact that David supposedly got the results on a Sunday is baffling though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The difference between Tyrone and David's situation is that Tyrone already knew for definite he was Ruby's dad, (not sure why?!) he just needed to proove it legally. In order to get his name on the birth certificate he would need a valid DNA test to submit to the courts which would need permission of the Mother. Alternatively he thought that instead by marrying Kirsty he would automatically gain parental rights over Ruby (although of course this bit was nonsense- and it's not actually clear even now if Tyrone is on Ruby's Birth Certificate or what the situation would be if/when Kirsty is released?)

David is married to Kylie and so automatically in the eyes of the law is Lily's Dad and is on her birth certificate. So he just needs the DNA test for his own information. It's a similar situation to when Kevin tested Molly's Baby Jack.
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DNA tests today can be done as quick as a day or two, depending if you have contacts/dedicated team to look at the case and pay a generous amount of cash.

I think it was supposed to be a week day as Hayley mentioned it being a week day in another scene. Probably because it should have been Friday episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachael. wrote: »
    I think it was supposed to be a week day as Hayley mentioned it being a week day in another scene. Probably because it should have been Friday episode.

Thing it must have been filmed thinking that it would have been the Friday episode as the transfer of the pub would not have gone through on a Sunday either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David had to sign for it though so it was maybe recorded.

That's what I said, wasn't it? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It wasn't a Sunday as the episode had been posponed from Friday due to the football but even so........

He didn't even wait 24 hoursfor the results. As I said in a previous post he posted them on the same day as Hayleigh's cancer group meeting and the couple she met there came into the cafe the next day (they refered to the meeting as being "yesterday"). This was the same day as David got the results. So he posted them one day and recieved the results through the post the next day! Amazing!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    im completely baffled as to why gail felt the need to hide tge envelope when she heard kylie coming down the stairs. it was a plain envelope. she could have passed it off easily if kylie gad been nosy enough to ask her what it was!!

And she hid it in a DVD of "The King's Speech". What, the Platt family have a DVD of the "The King's Speech"?
  • Options
    melloncollie06melloncollie06 Posts: 2,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavyBoy60 wrote: »
    And she hid it in a DVD of "The King's Speech". What, the Platt family have a DVD of the "The King's Speech"?

i can honestly say iv never felt compelled to hide anything in a dvd case. and then drink 3 G&T's and go to bed leaving said dvd on table.

ridiculouus!! lol
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I'm catching up on Wednesdays Corrie so sorry if this has been mentioned but Eva on the way to work moaning about the fact she's late on her first day. So she continues at a snails pace and stops for a conversation despite the fact she could run and be there in less than a minute.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just knew Liz would arrive when there was a cat fight going on in the pub Gave her a chance to make a grand entrance and start overacting from the first scene.:yawn::yawn::yawn:

So predictable. :yawn::yawn::yawn:
  • Options
    RedpoppyRedpoppy Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weatherfield General is a great hospital. It keeps in patients with just a few cuts and bruises but discharges patients who can hardly walk!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how Kylies suddenly has Eva as a bezzie mate again when the story calls for her to have to interact with someone. IIRC they have not really spoken since the last time Kylie had to confide a secret. (cant remember what it was now).
  • Options
    RedpoppyRedpoppy Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing. Liz gets a call from Steve (couple of weeks ago at most) and manages to get rid of her business - just like that! Didn't realise the Spanish economy was so buoyant
  • Options
    C HorseC Horse Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just looking forward to the "two lizard" scene where Liz and Dreary share wine in Number 3 and re-bond instantly whilst whingeing about the world, despite Dreary never having mentioned Liz for ages.

What next?

Jim breaking out of prison to rescue Liz from financial disaster again?

It's getting like EE, with all of this "bring back and rehash" stuff.

There will be rising back from the dead soon!!
  • Options
    thisgirlherethisgirlhere Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Eva: "he must have thought you've been with someone else - you haven't have you?"

I'm sure I remember Kylie telling Eva that she'd slept with someone else when she was upset about being pregnant.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Eva: "he must have thought you've been with someone else - you haven't have you?"

I'm sure I remember Kylie telling Eva that she'd slept with someone else when she was upset about being pregnant.

I also thought Eva knew.
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also thought Eva knew.

I'm sure she knew too, wasn't it Eva who told David to go after Kylie as she was just about to go for an abortion?
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I also thought Eva knew.

I thought Eva knew as well as I remembered thinking at the time that Kylie stopped short of telling Eva who it was because of Eva's history with Nick.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure that last time Steve bought the pub, he couldn't be the licensee because of his criminal record. That's why it was in Liz's name. But now, suddenly, he can be the licensee.

While I'm at it, here's another odd thing: We saw Rob and Tracy converting the bookies into their Cash Converters style shop, and I think we saw it around the time of it opening, when Tracy accepted all those stolen goods and had to get rid of them. But we've never seen it since. Not even once.
  • Options
    AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,877
    Forum Member
    I'm sure she knew too, wasn't it Eva who told David to go after Kylie as she was just about to go for an abortion?

See this episode guide ... although it doesn't say Kylie said why she was going for an abortion so maybe she told Eva she didn't think she and David were strong enough?

http://www.sofeminine.co.uk/coronation-street-gossip/coronation-street-spoilers-11th-january-d47627c565568.html
This discussion has been closed.