Options

Any celebrities who are private?

Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
Forum Member
We get the likes of Miley Cyrus and Jordan whose whole lives are practically public knowledge.

What I was wondering is, do we know of any celebs who don't like the attention, don't go to premiers and award shows and only focus on their crafts (e.g music).

Kate Bush is the only who comes to mind.

Comments

• Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    If they private, they won't be celebrity?
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Daniel Day Lewis
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Real celebrities who are famous because of their job rather than famous being their job.

Many real A listers manage to live a relatively private life and go about their day to day business completely off camera
  • Options
    RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read yesterday that Kevin Spacey is notoriously private as he wants to 'become' each character he plays and have the audience believe it. There are rumours about his private life but to his credit he's never commented on them. I respect him hugely, he's very talented.

Harry Hill also is a private chap who lives a fairly ordinary life, and, surprisingly, Avid Merrion too.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read yesterday that Kevin Spacey is notoriously private as he wants to 'become' each character he plays and have the audience believe it. There are rumours about his private life but to his credit he's never commented on them. I respect him hugely, he's very talented.

Harry Hill also is a private chap who lives a fairly ordinary life, and, surprisingly, Avid Merrion too.

Do you mean Leigh Francis? Avid Merrion was a character played by Leigh Francis
  • Options
    Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    micheal french (david wicks)eastenders never gives interviews.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those with real talent never need to 'sell' themselves.

There are loads around of whom we know only their work and very little else.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those with real talent never need to 'sell' themselves.

There are loads around of whom we know only their work and very little else.:)

This!

There is a reason someone like Tina Malone is always in the tabloids where as someone far more talented and beautiful like Michelle Pfeiffer is not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't necessarily say that every celebrity that leads a very open life is talentless. Sometimes, especially with minor celebrities who are famous for a craft of some kind, often with a limited or cult appeal (musicians, filmmakers, authors, podcasters, etc.), by being open and honest they please the fans and a happy and active fanbase can allow them to continue with their craft, as they're more likely to find financial backers if they have a large group of "followers", this in turn pleases the fans, and it becomes a cycle with happier fans allowing the celebrity to do their craft more often and on a bigger scale.

I'd personally refine that to say the talentless celebrities are the ones trying to get attention and appear in the papers all the time, not necessarily the ones who are open and honest about their lives. (You can be open and honest, without appearing in the tabloids every hour...)
  • Options
    Julia_WebbJulia_Webb Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grey Lady wrote: »
    This!

There is a reason someone like Tina Malone is always in the tabloids where as someone far more talented and beautiful like Michelle Pfeiffer is not.

Whilst I agree with what you're saying, Michelle Pfeiffer will have done interviews but they would have been to publicise her movies. Many of the 'proper' actors don't do any media unless it is movie related, one that springs to mind is Jodie Foster.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicholas Lyndhurst is very famous but you never see interviews or him in the papers.

John Simm- again high profile very private.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    micheal french (david wicks)eastenders never gives interviews.

I think that he used to do them during his original stint in 'Enders, until he was outed by the tabloids.

Quite understandable that he has given interviews a wide berth, since.
  • Options
    Check it outCheck it out Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Miley's life public knowledge? She clearly has a stage persona, but what do we actually know about her private life? She split from Liam Hempsworth. That's it.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anne Marie Duff and James McAvoy are hugely successful and talented and have a daughter (I think)? and retain a very private existence; not needing to sell every fart, bowel movement and medical procedure to the trash mags.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julia_Webb wrote: »
    Whilst I agree with what you're saying, Michelle Pfeiffer will have done interviews but they would have been to publicise her movies. Many of the 'proper' actors don't do any media unless it is movie related, one that springs to mind is Jodie Foster.

That's what I meant too - by using "tabloids" and someone like Tina Malone as an example I thought I was making a clear distinction between a celebrity who promotes their work only like Michelle Pfeiffer, and a zelebrity that promotes themselves because they have nothing to offer but their dirty laundry, like Tina. :)
  • Options
    NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celebrity is a byword for talentless famehoor. These days there's a world of difference between a "celebrity" and a famous person.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alison Moyet. Just heard her on Desert Island Discs. Fabulous woman.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kare Moss rarely gives interviews and her daughter's face is always pixelated out if she appears in a photo, Michael Schumacher always kept his family life private and Johnny Depp's kids don't appear in photos, whilst he talked about films in interviews his home life in France was very private before his split with Vanessa Paradis, the locals in their village never bothered them either. A lot of celebs turn up in large vehicles with blacked out windows and hoards of minders in dark glasses for 'protection' mostly to draw attention to themselves, Scarlet Johansen was at Inverness bus station on her own dressed in jeans and a T shirt, no one bothered her.
  • Options
    matchmakermatchmaker Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowan Atkinson
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Jack Nicholson hasn't done the interview circuit or any media work for years. When you are successful enough I guess you don't need feel the need to continually see your name in the news.
  • Options
    Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kare Moss rarely gives interviews and her daughter's face is always pixelated out if she appears in a photo, Michael Schumacher always kept his family life private and Johnny Depp's kids don't appear in photos, whilst he talked about films in interviews his home life in France was very private before his split with Vanessa Paradis, the locals in their village never bothered them either. A lot of celebs turn up in large vehicles with blacked out windows and hoards of minders in dark glasses for 'protection' mostly to draw attention to themselves, Scarlet Johansen was at Inverness bus station on her own dressed in jeans and a T shirt, no one bothered her.

This is 100% correct. Celebrities who want to avoid attention might travel alone or more likely the security is there, but is so discreet nobody notices it.

People doing promo work to promote a project is expected and you can argue someone refusing to do interviews is actually being unprofessional.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    David Tennant is pretty private isn't he? I remember hearing he doesn't like talking about his wife or kids in interviews etc
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowie keeps himself to himself these days
  • Options
    Leanne_Blake1Leanne_Blake1 Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prince keeps a low profile too.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920