ofcom complaints

2»

Comments

• adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same thing happened when the BBC announced it would be showing the musical 'Jerry Springer - The Opera'. Many thousands of people complained before it was shown and I recall reading that none of them had seen the original theatre play and they were basing their opinions on what they'd been told about it.

The Daily Mail, for example, reported that the play contained several thousand swear words. Everyone took this claim for granted until somebody worked out that this would equate to about 30 swear words per second - which was clearly impossible. Eventually it was revealed that the Mail had gone through the script and counted every swear word then they'd multiplied it by the number of people in the choir. They argued that because each choir member sang the words, they should all be counted.

That's brilliant - Top work from the Daily Mail!! I'd love to hear 30 swear words per second!! :D:D
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    9 people. Out of 5.2 MILLION who watched on the night.

Wow. That's all I'm going to say.

Isn't that want Tom Baker said about his era? "Millions of people watched it,
    only a hundred or so complained, and yet the BBC listened to the hundred."
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't that want Tom Baker said about his era? "Millions of people watched it,
    only a hundred or so complained, and yet the BBC listened to the hundred."

Back in his day it only took one 'house proud, town mouse' for the Beeb to tremble...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Honestly would expect people to have better things to do. Can understand if someone found it a little sensitive if recently bereaved. But that is not a reason to complain.

I've had two family bereavements recently (last funeral was this week), I didn't find the episode offensive.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Koquillion wrote: »
    Back in his day it only took one 'house proud, town mouse' for the Beeb to tremble...

It wasn't really that; in the 1970's she was friends with a number of MP's who the beeb were not really in a position to ignore. I'm sure if it was just Whitehouse she'd have been told to **** off.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Koquillion wrote: »

And one thing lead to another, and some 13 years later the show was put on 'indefinite hold'. I do actually think that was the beginning of a very drawn out end to the original show :(
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, idiots these days will complain about anything.

If it's not one thing, it's another.

Whining, moaning and complaining, simply because they have nothing better to do.

Moral of the story is:

If you don't like what you are watching, go and do something else.

Do I like X Factor, Strictly Come Dancing, Big Brother?

No.

Do I complain?

No.
  • marks thespotmarks thespot Posts: 2,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're not complaining because they don't like it - but because it was disturbing. And although the number contacting OfCom was low, lots more did compain directly to the bbc.

I think if this hadn't been a two parter, and the suggestion that the deceased can feel (particularl the horrific references to cremation) had been clearly shown to be a lie and a con, there wouldn't be so much of a problem. As it stands, many people may be upset about that for a week, it wasn't really resolved definitively, especially for kids.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    That's brilliant - Top work from the Daily Mail!! I'd love to hear 30 swear words per second!! :D:D

Well, we've got the right Doctor for that! (Though I don't think even Malcolm Tucker achieved quite that number per second - per minute maybe :D).
  • WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, we've got the right Doctor for that! (Though I don't think even Malcolm Tucker achieved quite that number per second - per minute maybe :D).

Personally I think its most appropriate use of Time Lord technology :D

The TARDIS - swearier on the inside
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mary whitehouse still reaching us from beyond the grave. she has become like a vampire in one of moffats wonderful scripts. "i still have the ear of the director general". aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggghhhhhh ..........
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must have become quite hard nosed, I don't see anything to complain about. It's science fiction and we had whole planets being destroyed etc.
  • puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9 people. Out of 5.2 MILLION who watched on the night.

Wow. That's all I'm going to say.

Someone on the mail online website said her dad had been recently cremated and she knows its irrational but what they said on the show set her off worrying and if she'd have thought about it she'd complain to the bbc too.

Others where saying its a kids show..but its on so late and its been years since you could allow a child to watch that show alone.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    mary whitehouse still reaching us from beyond the grave......

Well they do have WiFi in the Nethersphere so it's easy enough for her.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Well they do have WiFi in the Nethersphere so it's easy enough for her.

If she thought what she was on TV was bad wait until she shares her views on what you can see on the internet.