Options

Question Time 15/1/15

Phil_CoulthardPhil_Coulthard Posts: 2,843
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Tonight's edition of the Topical debate show comes from Lincoln and joining Dimbers on the panel tonight are...

Anna Sourby (Conservative Defense Minister)
Douglas Alexander (Labour Foreign Secretary)
Baroness Brinton (Liberal Democrat)
Mehdi Hasan (Journalist & Broadcaster)
David Starkey (Historian)

The show will be broadcast on at 22.35 on BBC 1 in England, Scotland and Wales

Comments

• Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England again?? :p
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Won't watch it if Hasan is on. I value the integrity of my TV too much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »

But Hasan Vs Starkey...

You just hope that Hasan will bite a la Galloway when Starkey starts
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,955
    Forum Member

Starkey will keep him quiet!
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    Starkey will keep him quiet!

Well, I can't stand Starkey either, but if he silences the odious bully then it might be worth a watch.

I tend to avoid these days. I get wound up and angry then can't sleep :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I can't stand Starkey either, but if he silences the odious bully then it might be worth a watch.

I tend to avoid these days. I get wound up and angry then can't sleep :D

Yeah but Starkey is Question Time gold
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starkey is worth the licence fee alone.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah but Starkey is Question Time gold

Perfect way to sum him up. I'd have him on every week.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    solenoid wrote: »

One of my favourites was when he laid into Harriet Harman, Shirley Williams and Victoria Coren about the fact they got where they did in no small part because of who their parents and relatives were. The only panellists who came from nowt were him and Justine Greening - the only non wishy washy lefties.

Still if your mum is Vera Brittain, your dad is Alan Coren or you come from a family of aristocrats and Harley Street doctors it's clearly no advantage to getting on in life - compared to growing up with no famous or connected relatives.

Same applies to Dave, Ed and Nick - who all got their political careers started or their first jobs because of their relatives influence and connections!

Question time platinum more like!

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/rod-liddle/2013/05/starkeys-right-yesterdays-question-time-panel-dont-know-the-meaning-of-struggle/
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hasan and Starkey:o we're in for a lively night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »

Agreed
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    Starkey v. Hassan overshadows the other contestants.

But there is other potential. Has anyone else not heard of Baroness Brinton before tonight?

According to wiki she: 'Chairs the Libdem Diversity Engagement Group and has a particular interest in increasing the number of women, black, Asian, and minority ethnic MPs'. Amongst other things.

Then there's Anna Soubry. Intense and unpredictable. Likes to go on the attack.

I feel sorry for Wee Dougie.
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anna Sourby , you would think hearing her talk that she was giving somebody a BJ at the same time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojoeno wrote: »
    Anna Sourby , you would think hearing her talk that she was giving somebody a BJ at the same time

That's the funniest DS comment I've read
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Lincoln eh? Wonder if anybody from Boston will be in the audience. I gather politics are a little fraught in Boston at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    Lincoln eh? Wonder if anybody from Boston will be in the audience. I gather politics are a little fraught in Boston at the moment.

I don't think it will be a left-wing love in. I do expect some seats round there and Boston to go to UKIP in May
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Douglas Alexander (Labour Foreign Secretary)....Somewhat premature me thinks
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    One of my favourites was when he laid into Harriet Harman, Shirley Williams and Victoria Coren about the fact they got where they did in no small part because of who their parents and relatives were.

Seems a bit unfair. They can hardly be blamed for being born into influential families!
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Seems a bit unfair. They can hardly be blamed for being born into influential families!

Why is it unfair to state the truth? Its a burden they have to put up with just as others have to put up with the burden of having been born into unifluential families. In reality I don't suppose people in either case give it much thought.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tonight's edition of the Topical debate show comes from Lincoln and joining Dimbers on the panel tonight are...

Anna Sourby (Conservative Defense Minister)
    Douglas Alexander (Labour Foreign Secretary)
    Baroness Brinton (Liberal Democrat)
    Mehdi Hasan (Journalist & Broadcaster)
    David Starkey (Historian)

The show will be broadcast on at 22.35 on BBC 1 in England, Scotland and Wales

Try as I might I just can't conceive of Douglas Alexander travelling abroad to represent the nation.:o

Anna Soubry btw

You have promoted him - he is the SHADOW Foreign Secretary and long may he remain so.
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angarrack wrote: »
    Starkey v. Hassan overshadows the other contestants.

But there is other potential. Has anyone else not heard of Baroness Brinton before tonight?

According to wiki she: 'Chairs the Libdem Diversity Engagement Group and has a particular interest in increasing the number of women, black, Asian, and minority ethnic MPs'. Amongst other things.

Then there's Anna Soubry. Intense and unpredictable. Likes to go on the attack.

I feel sorry for Wee Dougie.

Baroness Brinton, daughter of former TV newsreader Tim Brinton was on the Daily Politics the other day.
    She was in a wheelchair and the wheels of her chair were perilously close to the edge of the raised podium the DP debates take place on.
    I was more concerned she would move back and fall of the podium, than what she actually said.
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hasan vs Starkey show tonight then :D. Let's hope Starkey destroys him!

I couldn't care less for the other Con-Lab-Lib bores to be honest.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Nosedive wrote: »
    Didn't they have it there last year and is was basically a slanging match over immigrant fruit pickers?
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Didn't they have it there last year and is was basically a slanging match over immigrant fruit pickers?

Yes I believe you are right. I think Farage was on that one. I'm surprised they haven't got a UKipper on the panel for this one.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't watch because of Hasan. If anyone blocks me on Twitter, I take the view that if they won't listen to my views, why should I listen to theirs. :)