ITV has refused to discuss the reasons for broadcaster's sudden exit
•MailOnline understands the broadcaster terminated his contract early
•Chiles signed a £1m two-year deal just after last summer's world cup
•He was also sacked as Daybreak presenter and also had chat show axed
•Five Live and Premier League TV presenter Mark Pougatch to replace him
•Chiles, who earned £4.5m last year, has been a controversial figure
•47-year-old will continue in his role with BBC Five Live, corporation says
•Privately-educated Pougatch is married to aristocrat Lady Victoria Scott

Seems a bit harsh, makes you wonder what's really behind it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2923246/ITV-football-presenter-Adrian-Chiles-loses-job-immediate-effect-replaced-Mark-Pougatch.html

Comments

• Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very misleading thread title.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Best off doing what he's best at, which is not TV. Always had a good face for radio...
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »

Why so?

His contract has been terminated. Do you think he doesn't feel sacked?
    Forum Member
    Best off doing what he's best at, which is not TV. Always had a good face for radio...

While he is not your typical choice, there must be more to it. His image hasn't changed since he got the contract.
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Mark Pougatch taking over the lead role for ITV Football shows
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member

In what way? His contract has been terminated with immediate effect, that's pretty much a sacking.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand all the hate for him. Him and Keane and Strachan all work well together.

Plus he adds some humour in to his presenting where as BT/Sky are a bit more wooden.

Has Sky ever really replaced Keys and Gray? Ed Chamberlin for me isn't the best. Gary Neville has proven a surprise natural pundit however he may end up leaving and going into coaching.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EvieJ wrote: »
    Why so?

His contract has been terminated. Do you think he doesn't feel sacked?
    In what way? His contract has been terminated with immediate effect, that's pretty much a sacking.
    The Daily Mail "understands" it has been terminated.

I'd check the sky was blue if the Daily Mail told me it was. They like to add bits to stories to make them more sensation.

The only official confirmation is that Pougatch is taking over. ITV haven't commented at all on the nature of Chiles' stepping down.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only official confirmation is that Pougatch is taking over. ITV haven't commented at all on the nature of Chiles' stepping down.

They have very little football next year and they probably don't need a high earner for a couple of England matches.

Remains to be seen anyway BT may put some games FTA.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/champions-league/11132035/BT-Sport-in-talks-with-ITV-over-sharing-Champions-League-and-Europa-League-games.html

But nothing certain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have very little football next year and they probably don't need a high earner for a couple of England matches.

Remains to be seen anyway BT may put some games FTA.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/champions-league/11132035/BT-Sport-in-talks-with-ITV-over-sharing-Champions-League-and-Europa-League-games.html

But nothing certain.
    That has absolutely nothing to do with my post.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    That has absolutely nothing to do with my post.

Ok thread police, calm down.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt Smith has gone as well (I always preferred him to Chiles).Great track record for a presenter:

Breakfast TV - sacked
    Sunday chat show - sacked
    Football anchor - sacked

Back to the relative obscurity of Radio 5
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And this all arose from a presumption that the One Show was popular because of it's presenters rather than the format. I have no particular bad will towards Chiles but the ITV poaching elevated him well above his level of talent.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand all the hate for him. Him and Keane and Strachan all work well together.

Plus he adds some humour in to his presenting where as BT/Sky are a bit more wooden.

Agreed. It feels like he was on a bit of a hiding to nothing when he made the high profile move to ITV and got a big contract.
    Has Sky ever really replaced Keys and Gray? Ed Chamberlin for me isn't the best. Gary Neville has proven a surprise natural pundit however he may end up leaving and going into coaching.

Maybe not as a high profile partnership, but I agree Neville has been very good and if he stays in broadcasting he could definitely one day be as good as Gray, but without the baggage (ego and sexism, primarily). Chamberlin is fine, a little bland maybe, but I don't watch football for the studio host's outsize personality. And I never liked Keys, he always seemed a little slimy.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Matt Smith has gone as well (I always preferred him to Chiles).Great track record for a presenter:

Breakfast TV - sacked
    Sunday chat show - sacked
    Football anchor - sacked

Back to the relative obscurity of Radio 5

Yes for me Chiles had it all at the BBC. He worked well on the three shows he had spent 20 years gradually building to imo (One Show,MOTD2 and the Apprentice spin off show). I don't necessarily blame him for going for the perception of a better career and obviously the money, but if the story is true of his unhappiness at being relegated by Chris Evans for one day on the One Show-and it contributed to his move- then that was a bit short sighted. Its been rollercoaster at ITV but unfortunately most of it has been downhill.
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Mark P wont have much to do anyway. No FA cup no aChampions league from this summer. So it will only be the crappy internationals he will do. No doubt Chiles is in a better place now.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Chiles has been offered his old job back on "The Apprentice - you're fired"?
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Mark P wont have much to do anyway. No FA cup no aChampions league from this summer. So it will only be the crappy internationals he will do. No doubt Chiles is in a better place now.

Yes, presenting England games at Euro's or World Cups to 18 million people is a rubbish job isn't it.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt Chiles is in a better place now.

You make him sound like a sick dog that's been put down!
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well things may change about that if BT let some of their ECL/EL games to ITV(ref report in the Telegraph), and there are suggestions that ITV will bid strongly for Premier League highlights. As ever I imagine there is more to this than meets the eye.
    Forum Member
    The Daily Mail "understands" it has been terminated.

I'd check the sky was blue if the Daily Mail told me it was. They like to add bits to stories to make them more sensation.

Pedancy, supported by the reputation of the DM. Really????
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Warm words of welcome for Pougach from ITV but not even a grudging Thanks to Chiles, no mention at all:o
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Warm words of welcome for Pougach from ITV but not even a grudging Thanks to Chiles, no mention at all:o

Yes, the manner of his removal, the lack of reference to his work - very odd
  • mattwmattw Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what next for Chiles... Could BT Sport take him on for Champions League coverage? Indeed what if he had already been talking to BT and itv have terminated his contract following him asking to be released in the summer? (Pure speculation I realise).
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Often it's not possible to use the word "sacked" when it comes to TV presenters, their contract comes to an end and it's not renewed. Not really sacked.

But in this case it's very obvious that's what has happened, he's been booted! It's really rare.