The Ratings Thread (Part 51)

Comments

• GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'd like to know what that means as well.

More people watching @ 8pm and the benefit of being the meat in the Corrie sandwich of course!
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Wasn't Vicious only getting 2m with a Coronation Street lead-in?
    Imagine how low it would've rated without a Coro St. lead-in! Instead of 2million, episodes would've been getting more like 1.5m.

It's like The Americans. That only got 2million following a BGT lead in. But once the BGT lead-in stopped, its ratings sunk to just 1million.
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    More trash TV from Channel 4:

C4 orders nightclub toilet doc

Channel 4 is to open the door to the toilets of a Crawley nightclub for a one-off fixed-rig documentary.

The broadcaster has commissioned Big Fat Gypsy Weddings producer Firecracker Films to make the 60-minute special, which will be filmed over four nights from 30 July.

Fixed-rig cameras will be placed in the men’s and women’s toilets of JJ Whispers in Crawley to capture the conversations and grooming habits of partygoers.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 42,000
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Imagine how low it would've rated without a Coro St. lead-in! Instead of 2million, episodes would've been getting more like 1.5m.

It's like The Americans. That only got 2million following a BGT lead in. But once the BGT lead-in stopped, its ratings sunk to just 1million.

Over-analysing again...

It had the Corrie lead-in in week 1 - came out with 5m. Had the same lead-in subsequent weeks and sunk to 2m. Says a lot about what people thought about it rather than the lead-in or any 'default' audience.
  • AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Channel 4 is to open the door to the toilets of a Crawley nightclub for a one-off fixed-rig documentary.

The broadcaster has commissioned Big Fat Gypsy Weddings producer Firecracker Films to make the 60-minute special, which will be filmed over four nights from 30 July.

Fixed-rig cameras will be placed in the men’s and women’s toilets of JJ Whispers in Crawley to capture the conversations and grooming habits of partygoers.

Surely a Pear Tree production? :D
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Over-analysing again...

It had the Corrie lead-in in week 1 - came out with 5m. Had the same lead-in subsequent weeks and sunk to 2m. Says a lot about what people thought about it rather than the lead-in or any 'default' audience.
    Without the Coro St. lead-in though, Vicious would've started off with about 4-4.5million and fell to 1.5m by the end of the series. All its ratings would've been lower. You can think otherwise but its obvious the Coro St. lead-in did boost its ratings (as with all other shows which follows it).
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    More people watching @ 8pm and the benefit of being the meat in the Corrie sandwich of course!

You do talk some twaddle. Emmerdale beat EastEnders last night because EastEnders is going through a rough patch. All soaps go through them. I remember a couple of years ago when Emmerdale was struggling. I remember 4 years ago when Corrie was constantly lagging behind EastEnders. Chances are the cycle will repeat itself and Corrie will eventually slip back. it happens all the time. Whatever time a soap is on makes no difference as the times are regular and people who want to watch them will watch them. I have every confidence that EastEnders will be back to form. Where they've made mistakes though is that the PR team seem to have been hyping up stories about new characters rather than hyping up storylines. For soaps it's the storylines people watch for, and EastEnders has had too many mediocre storylines centering around mediocre characters. Nothing to do with "BBC1 having the advantage" just because it fits in with your anti-BBC agenda.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member

Oh, that's disappointing. I thought they were looking to get back on track. This sounds grubby and not what they should be doing at all.

It comes just a few days after the makers of their Kavos documentary series were found to be guilty of some very dubious practices:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a501744/channel-4s-what-happens-in-kavos-filming-halted.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over-analysing again...

I agree. If people want to watch a show they will. If it's rubbish they won't. Regardless of what is on before. I remember The Royal Bodyguard following Mrs. Browns Boys. Mrs Browns Boys was watched by millions but millions also switched off or over once The Royal Bodyguard started!
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When George S said Eastenders has a 1 hour advantage over Emmerdale, it's clear what he's trying to say. He's saying that Eastenders 8pm timeslot is better than Emmerdale's 7pm slot because more people watch television at 8pm than earlier in the evening. A 35pct share in Emmerdales slot would mean 6.5million and the same 35pct share in Eastenders slot would equal 7.4million. Therefore Eastenders is always at an advantage to get more viewers than Emmerdale's 7pm episodes due to the large number of viewers watching television during its slot.

Lol what you could argue that with any show there is no reason to just use it against EE. That's a bit of a silly argument. Plus that may not always be the case look at Corri that sometimes rates lower the second episode compared to the first even with that sort of share.
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member

Just when you thought C4 couldn't get any worse...

Lowest common denominator television right there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone have the ratings for the 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown repeat last night? It was on at 10pm so I wouldn't be surprised if it rated quite well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just when you thought C4 couldn't get any worse...

Lowest common denominator television right there.
    Hardly any worse then any of the other shit that is being shown on other channels nowadays... Have you seen The Valleys?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    You do talk some twaddle. Emmerdale beat EastEnders last night because EastEnders is going through a rough patch. All soaps go through them. I remember a couple of years ago when Emmerdale was struggling. I remember 4 years ago when Corrie was constantly lagging behind EastEnders. Chances are the cycle will repeat itself and Corrie will eventually slip back. it happens all the time. Whatever time a soap is on makes no difference as the times are regular and people who want to watch them will watch them. I have every confidence that EastEnders will be back to form. Where they've made mistakes though is that the PR team seem to have been hyping up stories about new characters rather than hyping up storylines. For soaps it's the storylines people watch for, and EastEnders has had too many mediocre storylines centering around mediocre characters. Nothing to do with "BBC1 having the advantage" just because it fits in with your anti-BBC agenda.

The story lines in EE are very weak at the moment, they should spend money on some decent storyliners (which of course Dominic was). Bringing back old characters should be less of a priority, some of the best current actors (Rudolph Walker for instance) are greatly underused.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this is pretty big news: BBC Three will premiere ALL scripted comedy on BBC iPlayer seven days before the broadcast date. This isn't part of the already announced trial.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/bbcthreeiplayerpremieres.html

It'll make ratings discussion about these programmes pretty much null and void until BARB get their act together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The story lines in EE are very weak at the moment, they should spend money on some decent storyliners (which of course Dominic was). Bringing back old characters should be less of a priority, some of the best current actors (Rudolph Walker for instance) are greatly underused.

Exactly. I got bored of all these "exciting midnight announcements" that just turned out to be yet another teen cast but instead of all these they could have promoted the storylines more regardless of how weak they were.
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    Hardly any worse then any of the other shit that is being shown on other channels nowadays... Have you seen The Valleys?

Never heard of The Valleys myself. Then again, I don't really watch much TV these days apart from BBC3, which is perfect late night television for me (and for plenty of other people judging by its strong audience shares).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of The Valleys myself. Then again, I don't really watch much TV these days apart from BBC3, which is perfect late night television for me (and for plenty of other people judging by its strong audience shares).
    You are one of the lucky ones...
    Forum Member
    Without the Coro St. lead-in though, Vicious would've started off with about 4-4.5million and fell to 1.5m by the end of the series. All its ratings would've been lower. You can think otherwise but its obvious the Coro St. lead-in did boost its ratings (as with all other shows which follows it).

This is ludicrous.

When ITV gets a good rating, you always seem to come up with certain excuses, and that if it was scheduled elsewhere, at a different time/day/time of year, it wouldn't have gotten that rating. It's ridiculous. It got that figure because people like it, and the Corrie lead-in benefited it because it's of a similar demographic. End of. No need to create an in-depth discussion.

As for Vicious, we'll have to see how they schedule it next year if there is another series.
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    Well this is pretty big news: BBC Three will premiere ALL scripted comedy on BBC iPlayer seven days before the broadcast date. This isn't part of the already announced trial.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/bbcthreeiplayerpremieres.html

It'll make ratings discussion about these programmes pretty much null and void until BARB get their act together.

I think it's ridiculous - it's not going to do the ratings any favours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It suggests to me that the BBC don't have much confidence in the BBC3 comedies! "Let's stick 'em on iPlayer! If they get good responses we'll put it on TV. If they don't we'll quietly let it die in iPlayer wilderness!"
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, they're looking at the bigger picture aren't they. We only see BARB figures, but they'll know how many people are watching on iPlayer and on BBC Three. BARB ratings may be down, but no fewer people will actually watch the programmes, there might even be more, and that's what counts.

A few more details - the whole series will be available for a week before episode one is shown on BBC3, then it disappears and it'll be business as usual - a showing on BBC3 with that episode then going on to the iPlayer.
    http://m.broadcastnow.co.uk/5058777.article
    It suggests to me that the BBC don't have much confidence in the BBC3 comedies! "Let's stick 'em on iPlayer! If they get good responses we'll put it on TV. If they don't we'll quietly let it die in iPlayer wilderness!"
    No, cos they'll already be scheduled before they go on the iPlayer. And anyway, they're starting with Bad Education, which was a massive success.
    Forum Member
    I agree. If people want to watch a show they will. If it's rubbish they won't. Regardless of what is on before. I remember The Royal Bodyguard following Mrs. Browns Boys. Mrs Browns Boys was watched by millions but millions also switched off or over once The Royal Bodyguard started!

Indeed - lead-in's mean nothing if people aren't going to watch the programme that follows it!
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is ludicrous.

When ITV gets a good rating, you always seem to come up with certain excuses, and that if it was scheduled elsewhere, at a different time/day/time of year, it wouldn't have gotten that rating. It's ridiculous. It got that figure because people like it, and the Corrie lead-in benefited it because it's of a similar demographic. End of. No need to create an in-depth discussion.

As for Vicious, we'll have to see how they schedule it next year if there is another series.

There is no point in replying to his posts, he's just trying to get a response and cause arguments. If you ignore him he'll eventually get bored, most of in not all of what he says is just twaddle.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the "default audience" thing...

It's probably fairer to say "viewing tendency" since saying "default" suggests people are sheep and will just watch anything on Channel X.

The channels that have the largest tendency; BBC1 / ITV1.

CH4 used to have a fairly large tendency but it's decline into the (now literal) toilet has severely reduced this.
This discussion has been closed.