How long for rear brake pads to bed in

LadyMinervaLadyMinerva Posts: 755
Forum Member
✭✭
I've had the rear brake pads replaced..now the brakes don't feel responsive at all. I read that they have to sort of bed in, but how long will that take?

Comments

• Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had the rear brake pads replaced..now the brakes don't feel responsive at all. I read that they have to sort of bed in, but how long will that take?

If you had them replaced today then I would say they would need a couple of days use to bed in, depending on how much you use your brakes.

The people who replaced your pads should have told you they would need a little time to bed in.
  • LadyMinervaLadyMinerva Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks...so it is quite normal you think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks...so it is quite normal you think?

Yes, every time I fit new brake pads I always warn the driver that the brakes will not feel right until the pads bed in.

Give the car a run and use the brakes a bit more than you would normally to help them bed in (if safety and road conditions allow).

You will have pads that are maybe only gripping half of the area of brake discs than the old ones did....until the high spots wear off and you get full contact on the discs.

If the brakes don't feel right after a few days take the car back and express your concern.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok thanks. Not a great time considering the snow due tomorrow! I hope it is only going to take a few days
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to do disagree. but if your discs are fine then a few solid squeezes on the brakes should take the newness off the pads, especially rear ones [ they supply only a third of your braking power ] a few miles in traffic , max.

Pads are made to high specifcations these days , no need to worry about bedding in time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well....if that s the case, why do my brakes not respond like they do before the new pads were put on? I have to allow a lot more time to slow down than I did before hand
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to do disagree. but if your discs are fine then a few solid squeezes on the brakes should take the newness off the pads, especially rear ones [ they supply only a third of your braking power ] a few miles in traffic , max.

Pads are made to high specifcations these days , no need to worry about bedding in time.

The truth is that sometimes the pads will bed in very quickly and others take time...in this case it's taking time....it really depends on the surface of the disc and/or pad.

As I said in an earlier post, I always warn drivers that the brakes may not feel as good as they might until they bed in properly....it's a basic fact when you replace brake pads...front or rear.

I have vast experience in supplying and fitting brake pads, 43 years in the car repair trade, 32 years in business.

There may well be an underlying problem, but the pads need to bed in before you can tell, hence why I wrote to take the car back if it doesn't feel right after a few days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you :-)
  • shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edit..............