Are Mcdonald's and Burger King on the way out? Krispy Kreme and Costa taking over?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've seen lots of these branches shut in the past 5 years. I'm sure I read Burger King only has 80 restaurants left in the UK that's not many then? Seems Krispy Kreme stands and Costa's are taking over instead. I even read Starbucks want to start selling beer:

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/2014/03/20/Starbucks-to-start-selling-alcohol-after-4-pm/7721395348351/

Seems the Costa drive through is the new 'Burger King' too..

http://www.clydewaterfront.com/news/latest-news/2012/costa-drive-thru-opens-at-lomondgate

Not quite selling the same thing though.

Comments

• LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Never heard of Krispy Kreme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you such gloom and doom merchant. Do you gain some satisfaction from it:confused:
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Burger King has been on its way out for years.

McDonalds, no, they're going as strong as ever.

I must admit I don't see Krispy Kreme or Costa as directly comparable. And if anything, Starbucks are mushrooming more than Costa.

You only get KK's in London & big towns/cities.. I don't know where the nearest one to here would be.. they're hardly common enough to have the same sort of presence as McDonalds do!
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly hope so
    End this culture, where Parent's think it's ok to take their kids to fast food places everyday for a meal
    Pay attention, next time you are in these places, and watch

How many people, go in, order, take their food to table, then start eating, with fingers (no knives & forks) - without washing their hands first

Future generations of kids will not know what knives & forks are
    People either too lazy to cook... or don't know how to cook at home

Part of my growing up, was learning & assisting my Mum in the kitchen, when she was baking and cooking food
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,201
    Forum Member
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    Never heard of Krispy Kreme.

Krispy Kreme was popular like a few years ago?
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Krispy Kremes are not direct competitors to macdonalds and every expensive for what they are. They also tend to have small sections in selected tescos or will have an outlet in a shopping mall. The tescos where they're sold tend to be in the same town where there's a branch nearby, so they market a lot on 'freshly delivered ' nonsense.'

They're also popping up in some service stations so they're really aiming at a different market than macdonalds.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I've seen lots of these branches shut in the past 5 years. I'm sure I read Burger King only has 80 restaurants left in the UK that's not many then?

Well you'd be wrong. More like 468 currently.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen a Krispy Kreme
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    There are a few Krispy Kreme drive throughs popping up around the country. I cant see how they would take custom away from McDonalds.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »

I have only ever seen a couple at motorway service stations.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Subway yet. They're more of a direct competitor to McDonald's and BK than Krispy Kreme.

BTW for those who've not heard of Krispy Kreme, they also sell their dougnuts in motorway services (if that helps) its the green self serve kiosks.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    457 UK Burger King branches listed on the Burger King Website.

Is that up or down from previous years?

http://burgerking.co.uk/restaurants
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    457 UK Burger King branches listed on the Burger King Website.

Is that up or down from previous years?

http://burgerking.co.uk/restaurants

It's 468, as I said above. As for the figure being up or down on previous years, I don't know.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how many of Krispy Kreme and Costa's numbers include those 'mini' shops inside Tescos, etc.

I only ever seen a single stand alone Krispy Kreme shop
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    I wonder how many of Krispy Kreme and Costa's numbers include those 'mini' shops inside Tescos, etc.

Only KK outlet I know of is a shed at Waterloo station.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    I certainly hope so
    End this culture, where Parent's think it's ok to take their kids to fast food places everyday for a meal
    Pay attention, next time you are in these places, and watch

How many people, go in, order, take their food to table, then start eating, with fingers (no knives & forks) - without washing their hands first

Future generations of kids will not know what knives & forks are
    People either too lazy to cook... or don't know how to cook at home

Part of my growing up, was learning & assisting my Mum in the kitchen, when she was baking and cooking food

You sit and watch people eat and note they didn't wash their hands? And you think they're the weird ones?
    Forum Member
    Only KK outlet I know of is a shed at Waterloo station.

I'll look out for it next time I'm there. I'd never heard of them before until this thread.

They're not on the BiteCard scheme yet, but Burger King are.

www.bitecard.co.uk
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »

There's one in Edinburgh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    I'll look out for it next time I'm there. I'd never heard of them before until this thread.

It's down the end near the former Eurostar platforms
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Round here it's the non-chain shops that are taking over. There are two baker's shops within a few minutes' walk, and on a sunny day both will have queues out the door for coffee and pastries. One is so busy it had to expand into the empty shop next door. Also there are smaller chains like Gail's, the Bread Shop and Le Pain Quotidien and they all seem to be busier than places like McDonalds. Our local Burger King shut down years ago and no one misses it.
    Forum Member
    It's down the end near the former Eurostar platforms

Cheers. I know where you mean.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Why are you such gloom and doom merchant. Do you gain some satisfaction from it:confused:

He's a sensationalist. Always starting gack threads like this. Unfortunately he always gets the reaction he wants. He's probably a Mod of the site :D
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »

Yes he is. See his previous HMV threads. And he won't reply. Just a wind up merchant who talks crap.
  • MarkiebMarkieb Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are totaly diffrent places and both appeal to diffrent people
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »

Me neither.