Kids saying "bloody" and "hell" and "oh for gods sake"

Mr. BlueskyMr. Bluesky Posts: 382
Forum Member
Nothing wrong with that in my book as they used to be swears when people believed in gods and stuff but now people dont as we have progressed and educated as a nation, don't sweat it :)

I hope you feckers all agree?

Comments

• Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nevermind, it got changed.
  • Mr. BlueskyMr. Bluesky Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    English isn't your first language, is it?

It bloody well is
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It bloody well is
    You changed all the mistakes that made my first post sensible. :D
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    There is nothing wrong with saying any of those things.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather they said "Oh my God" than "OMG"
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with that in my book as they used to be swears when people believed in gods and stuff but now people dont as we have progressed and educated as a nation, don't sweat it :)

You're happy to hear four year-olds exclaiming 'Oh, bloody Hell', when things don't go their way? It might be one of the milder swears, but I still don't want my toddler coming out with it just yet.
  • Mr. BlueskyMr. Bluesky Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    You're happy to hear four year-olds exclaiming 'Oh, bloody Hell', when things don't go their way? It might be one of the milder swears, but I still don't want my toddler coming out with it just yet.

I understand what you are saying but the logic is not there if you think about it, its no different to flipping heck.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Anybody else ever spend time hanging around with their dad at work and being utterly shocked to hear them swear during the day?

I don't think there's anything particularly hypocritical about it.
    It's just a case of understanding that there's a time and a place for that sort of language and, as it's often difficult to explain this properly to kids, it's easier to just make swearing off-limits completely.
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh for gods sake, there is nothing wrong with it, Bloody Hell! :):)
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand what you are saying but the logic is not there if you think about it, its no different to flipping heck.
    Your logic is, I think, flawed. You're saying that as we're now a supposedly much more secular society, swear words with religious origins are no longer swear words, or at least should not be seen as swears. Is that correct? If so, where does that leave the F and C words, which have never been religious? By your logic, they're even more acceptable.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am trying to wean myself off God references as I'm a staunch Atheist. I really don't want to promote that nonsense at any cost.

But it's just an expression (one of many) that I grew up with and so hard to change the habit.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    I am trying to wean myself off God references as I'm a staunch Atheist. I really don't want to promote that nonsense at any cost.

But it's just an expression (one of many) that I grew up with and so hard to change the habit.

I was just about to post the same thing.

Many's the time I utter something like "for god's sake", or refer to an animal as a 'creature', and feel dirty and abused afterwards.

Damned religious brainwashing :D
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh My DAYZ!!!
  • RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    I used to get scolded as a kid, if I said "Bloody", my mum still thinks its a swear word..
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Nothing wrong with any of those, I use them all the time :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    My 4 year old says 'oh my god' and my 15 year old says 'oh my days' lol!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see nothing wrong with these words, and I always :rolleyes: at anyone who flinches when someone says "oh my god"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I always cringe a little bit when young kids say "oh my God" instead of "oh my goodness/gosh".
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What irritates me about it is that people don't usually even say "Oh". It's more like "Ohwl my god!" They never say this "Ohwl" in any other context!
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,257
    Forum Member
    I've heard much worse. In the supermarket the other day, the kid he must had been i don't know, 5-6 dropped a carton of eggs he was supposed to be handing to his mother. "Oh f**k mummy i dropped the eggs" he said, this lady close to me actually gasped. I just laughed and kept walking.

Something about the sentence or the way he said it was hilarious at the time :D
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd chop my kid's leg off if they said any offensive words.
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    I'd chop my kid's leg off if they said any offensive words.

You have kids? :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HaloJoe wrote: »
    You have kids? :eek:

Just because theyre imaginary doesn't mean they can't have legs! :mad:

I refuse to let my pretend kids become rapscallions!
  • HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    Just because theyre imaginary doesn't mean they can't have legs! :mad:

I refuse to let my pretend kids become rapscallions!

What are you're pretend kids names? And will they call me dad when we get together? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HaloJoe wrote: »
    What are you're pretend kids names? And will they call me dad when we get together? :p

LOL

Then and only then I'll permit them to use words like "tosser" "waaanker" "bastard" "dumbass" etc. :p