Options

Polish - our second language. fact

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont' mind. We have a large Polish population where I live and they are a lovely people for the most part. A friend of mine is trying to teach me but I'm a bit rubbbish at languages. Gawd knows what I'll do if I ever want to live in Spain :D
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Niefrasobliwy
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something has to be our second language, what's the problem?
  • Options
    Mr. BlueskyMr. Bluesky Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Niefrasobliwy

Just North of Cardiff I think?
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently 70,000 people speak Tagalog. Never even heard of it :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where can you polish your Polish ?
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The statement doesn't sound quite as exciting when you realise its only 1% of the population that speaks Polish compared to our first language, English, which 92.3% speak.

It's a non-story really.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's still only spoken by 1% of the population so I'm not that concerned, America's second language (Spanish) is spoken by 12% of the population so the Poles have a way to go yet.
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Casual wrote: »
    It's also known as "Filipino".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Casual wrote: »
    That's "Fillipino".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Where can you polish your Polish ?

At a Polish polishers.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's also known as "Filipino".

It's the first time I've ever seen the word. At least I learned something on DS for once, other than the masturbatory habits of bedsit dwellers.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wait. Romanian and Bulgarian will no doubt be up there in a few years, with more towns like Boston bursting at the seams :(
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    Jestem bardzo zadowolona. :)
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder why Mandarin and Cantonese are excluded from the "Chinese" category in that table? :confused:

Mandarin is the most widely-spoken Chinese language, whilst Cantonese, being the main language in Hong Kong, is probably the one most likely to be spoken by immigrants from China! .
  • Options
    Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mainly indifferent.

It's an interesting language I think - all those Cs and Zs!

What was our supposed 'second language' before Polish I wonder?
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    The statement doesn't sound quite as exciting when you realise its only 1% of the population that speaks Polish compared to our first language, English, which 92.3% speak.

It's a non-story really.

Not really. It highlights just how badly wrong the last Labour government got unlimited Eastern European immigration and that in the space of less than 10 years, around half a million people have arrived on these shores, often unskilled and unable to speak English.

Have the Tories learnt anything from Labour's mess and will they do anything to stop the same mistakes happening with Romania and Bulgaria? Probably not :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dawn Sun wrote: »
    What was our supposed 'second language' before Polish I wonder?
    Assuming all the other nationalities have remained about the same, the table in the article suggests it would have been either Punjabi or Urdu. Both are spoken by around 0.5% of the population.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely what this actually refers to is that, in a list of first languages, the majority's first language is English, and for the next biggest group it is Polish. Not that Polish is "our second language".

Hands up if your first Language is English and you learnt Polish at school?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Not really. It highlights just how badly wrong the last Labour government got unlimited Eastern European immigration and that in the space of less than 10 years, around half a million people have arrived on these shores, often unskilled and unable to speak English.

Have the Tories learnt anything from Labour's mess and will they do anything to stop the same mistakes happening with Romania and Bulgaria? Probably not :rolleyes:

All the Polish people round here (the ones I know and the ones I see and hear so not ALL maybe but you get my point) speak both English and Polish.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dads second language is Polish he came to this country 50 odd years ago. Perhaps we should send him home now.!!
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the Guardian's interactive map, the second language where I live in London is French, spoken by 3%, then Polish (under 2%) then Italian (1%). I have noticed that there always seem to be Italians on the bus, but that's hardly scientific proof of anything.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    All the Polish people round here (the ones I know and the ones I see and hear so not ALL maybe but you get my point) speak both English and Polish.

Some of the ones I know speak better English than many of the indigenous population! The thing they find more difficult is getting to grips with the local dialect if they've been taught "proper" English.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Anyway, this is only in England. In Scotland the second language is English and in Wales it's 'baa' .

You forgot the "stards" bit at the end. Oh and "English" at the beginning.
  • Options
    Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Assuming all the other nationalities have remained about the same, the table in the article suggests it would have been either Punjabi or Urdu. Both are spoken by around 0.5% of the population.