Anyone got Yosemite yet?

13»

Comments

• anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Instant Hotspot and SMS Relay will be available tomorrow with the iOS 8.1 update.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I have noticed with Yosemite is that in my case the performance seems far smoother and responsive in most things even with my Mid-2011 iMac. Pleasantly surprised as I noticed the opposite when I upgraded to Mavericks.
  • hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    The proximity detection is implemented through Bluetooth 4.0, which the 2011 iMacs don't have.

Also, the SMS forwarding requires iOS 8.1, so won't work until that's out on Monday. I imagine we'll see an update to OS X Messages pushed on Monday to support this too.

Hi

For those of us that Mac's older than 2012 models, would a device such as this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-USB-BT400-3Mbps-Bluetooth-Dongle/dp/B00CM83SC0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413719823&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+usb+adapter+for+pc

make them compatible to use the features Handover/Continuity with an iPhone running 8.1 from Monday onwards?

Thanks

Baz
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Not yet, but I am tempted. Are there any known problems in it I should be aware of? Do you have to have Mavericks installed first?
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not yet, but I am tempted. Are there any known problems in it I should be aware of? Do you have to have Mavericks installed first?

No. It will work from any OS X that supports the App Store. Snow Leopard and above.

http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Hi

For those of us that Mac's older than 2012 models, would a device such as this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-USB-BT400-3Mbps-Bluetooth-Dongle/dp/B00CM83SC0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413719823&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+usb+adapter+for+pc

make them compatible to use the features Handover/Continuity with an iPhone running 8.1 from Monday onwards?

Thanks

Baz

I can't remember the place I read it, but it appears that just getting an external Bluetooth 4.0 will not work. The same article got a 2008 model working with a modification, but it involved a tricky internal upgrade.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/18/bluetooth-le-adapters-handoff-no/

Upgrade
    http://www.theapplelounge.com/feature/exclusive-how-to-enable-handoff-on-older-macs-running-os-x-yosemite/
  • hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    I can't remember the place I read it, but it appears that just getting an external Bluetooth 4.0 will not work. The same article got a 2008 model working with a modification, but it involved a tricky internal upgrade.

Hi

Thx for that :-) I was hoping an external Bluetooth 4.0 adapter and some kind of hack would have worked. I guess I will have to deal with not having some of the handoff features :-(

Thanks

Baz
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I downloaded it on launch day i have a Mid 2010 macbook it took forever to install and the download was 5.16gb. At first the macbook was really sluggish but all fine now.
  • jonm01jonm01 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judging by the thread on osxdaily a lot of people are having a nightmare installing it.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    No. It will work from any OS X that supports the App Store. Snow Leopard and above.

http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

That's cool, but what about the Macs themselves? Mine are from 2010 (Pro running Snow Leopard and Windows 7 via Bootcamp) and 2012 (Air running Lion). I might look into it when I've got more time. I'm up to my eyeballs in college work at the moment :o
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Downloaded Yosemite onto both my Macs on release day and everything working perfectly. Also upgraded to iOS 8.1 on both my iPhone and iPad as well now to get full hand off features and all the other bits that have come with the upgrade.

Only niggles I have with Yosemite are the bright turquoise folder colours, would be nice to be able to either change colour or tone that down a bit.
    I'm also not keen on the new look dock, but I expect I will get used to it.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Downloaded Yosemite onto both my Macs on release day and everything working perfectly. Also upgraded to iOS 8.1 on both my iPhone and iPad as well now to get full hand off features and all the other bits that have come with the upgrade.

Only niggles I have with Yosemite are the bright turquoise folder colours, would be nice to be able to either change colour or tone that down a bit.
    I'm also not keen on the new look dock, but I expect I will get used to it.

Where are the turquoise colour folders?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are useful tips at the bottom paragraph there. It says that even Duckduckgo searches are shared with Apple, even with “Spotlight Suggestions” disabled.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2836572/apples-yosemite-os-shares-spotlight-search-terms-by-default.html
  • victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are articles out there that state it only takes a half hour or so to upgrade, well if so they must have a powerful machine. I have an i7 2.7 Mac Mini with 8GB Ram, from start to finish it took almost 90minutes and that isn't including the downloading. It was an upgrade not a clean install.

It does look a little different to Mavericks but not enough to not know what to do. Runs at least as well as Mavericks, haven't really noticed and speed difference so far but all I have tested works smoothly.

Haven't upgraded other bits to IOS8, not even 8.1, going to let others find out the faults first.

If you have more than one Mac to upgrade unless you have fibre BB would suggest that once you have downloaded the installer you copy it to other media first to save on a long download time on ADSL.
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are the turquoise colour folders?

Everywhere there is a folder on my Macs, maybe they just look blue to you ;)
  • lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is very odd.

I now have handover working on calls and text messages. It wasn't working before but suddenly started working on my 2011 iMac.

I've always been able to iMessage people but I can now send text messages to anyone not on an Apple device and I was just sat using my computer and suddenly I received a call on my screen and answered it.

Nice :D
  • Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    I downloaded and installed Yosemite a few days ago. So far so good.

I've even learnt to pronounce it. I thought it rhymed with Rossy Might. The penny dropped when I heard it being pronounced as in Yosemite National Park. Duh!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mate of mine made that mistake. We're still calling it that in his presence. He's getting very annoyed :D
  • WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    lalaland wrote: »
    This is very odd.

I now have handover working on calls and text messages. It wasn't working before but suddenly started working on my 2011 iMac.

I've always been able to iMessage people but I can now send text messages to anyone not on an Apple device and I was just sat using my computer and suddenly I received a call on my screen and answered it.

Nice :D

Exactly the same for me Lalaland, it was very buggy at first, then 2 days ago, sprung into life without doing anything!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Does anyone with Yosemite have problems with mail? I use Aol and have had nothing but problems with the mail app on my iMac. I can receive mail but not send it and yet when I bring up aol via Safari it works perfectly.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Airmail on my mac, so I can't say I've had the same issue. However it sounds more like an issue with your settings rather than the OS.

Have you set up your account again to make sure you're using the correct protocol and ports for your email provider?
  • ibattenibatten Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    jaybell wrote: »
    Does anyone with Yosemite have problems with mail? I use Aol and have had nothing but problems with the mail app on my iMac. I can receive mail but not send it and yet when I bring up aol via Safari it works perfectly.:confused:

There seems to be a lot of fixes to Mail.app queued up for 10.10.1. I'm running the beta on one of my machines and it's bumped the version number for Mail (to 8.1) and fixed a few issues I was having. Assuming you don't want to walk on the wild side and run betas, the 10.10.1 production release should be out in a few weeks.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    On the subject of Apple Mail, something I've noticed with Yosemite is a different behaviour when sorting the "From" column by clicking on the "From" button. It used to sort by name but leave the selected item to be the original one you had selected. It now leaves you at the top of the list. Has anyone else noticed this ?