James McClean refuses to wear a poppy

AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sunderland's Derry born midfielder James McClean refused to wear a poppy today for personal reasons,

He's been getting an absolute hammering in the local media up here (who have broken away from farmer helps lamb give birth stories) to cover it and from a lot of his own fans.

I think it's a decision best left to him and being from where he is, I totally understand his decision not to wear one but I've been surprised by the hammering he's getting locally.

Comments

• kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Sunderland's Derry born midfielder James McClean refused to wear a poppy today for personal reasons,

He's been getting an absolute hammering in the local media up here (who have broken away from farmer helps lamb give birth stories) to cover it and from a lot of his own fans.

I think it's a decision best left to him and being from where he is, I totally understand his decision not to wear one but I've been surprised by the hammering he's getting locally.

good on him for refusing to wear one. football players shouldnt be forced into wearing a poppy.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it very sad that a person is getting vilified for not wearing a poppy. Freedom of choice, etc.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think the term "refuses" make more of the story than it should.
    People aren't forced to wear them. He simply chose not to wear one.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I think the term "refuses" make more of the story than it should.
    People aren't forced to wear them. He simply chose not to wear one.

Just how it's reported but I agree.

He lost a family member around Bloody Sunday I believe (though don't take my word) so I totally understand why he chose not to. I don't think O'Neill wore one either

But as others have alluded, we surely fought not to be stuck in a draconian society that forces these edicts upon someone
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Seems very wrong to me to hammer him so much over a personal decsion.

Most of us are very happy to wear a poppy in remembrance of all our fallen in the line of duty and great service to our country over the years and it is a statement that so many in this country choose to wear it.

But the moment it is almost thought of as compulsory for folk to wear a poppy no matter their beliefs, or more particularly where they are from, then it begins to lose its significance.

I could get deep and go into our troops fighting to preserve freedom, say against the rather alternative German outlook in the 2nd World War, but whatever, this is just wrong in my view,,,
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Nobody is forced to waear it, or so i believe anyway, its his choice ,sadly the Murdoch/mail will slaughter him over it no doubt
    Forum Member
    Didn't Martin O'Neil get grief from the BBC few years ago when he refused to wear one on screen?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    I bet you a lot of folk hammering McClean over this annually just stick a poppy on for a couple of weeks each year without even really stopping to think about its significance.
    Forum Member
    indiana44 wrote: »
    I bet you a lot of folk hammering McClean over this annually just stick a poppy on for a couple of weeks each year without even really stopping to think about its significance.

99% of people hammering him have no idea!
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    It's entirely his choice whether to wear one or not. Our soldiers fought against fascism for our freedom and so McClean getting hammered for choosing not to conform is ludicrous.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    He is quite right. Its a shame that people are quick to hammer him for it without bothering to look into what it actually stands for.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ironic he's being slagged off (not in here) for not doing what he's told he should be doing, when one of the things our troops fought for was to ensure that people have the freedom to make their own choices.

I buy one every year and wear it, but would never vilify someone for choosing not to.
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Ironic he's being slagged off (not in here) for not doing what he's told he should be doing, when one of the things our troops fought for was to ensure that people have the freedom to make their own choices.

I buy one every year and wear it, but would never vilify someone for choosing not to.

Im fully behind remembrance sunday for the world wars but i can't condone other actions in Northern Ireland and i don't see why anyone who was directly affected by it would wish to wear the poppy, given its more universal significance.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He will get slated by the idiots that read the daily mail. It shouldn't be even be news as it really isn't s big deal. Its optional. Not every citizen wears one but they are not vilified walking down the street so no reason for McLean to be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They fought for a right for people to hammer people who refuse to wear something that they fought for a right for.

Yes.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wearing a poppy isn't compulsory. I don't think any more or less of anybody for wearing or not wearing one. It's personal choice. I wear one, but seeing people without one doesn't offend me in any way.
    Forum Member
    Its not about freedom of choice, its about the wider meaning of the poppy outside of world wars.
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    Didn't Martin O'Neil get grief from the BBC few years ago when he refused to wear one on screen?

Interestingly during the live coverage of Ireland-SA today on BBC2 Ketih Wood was wearing a poppy but not Brian O'Driscoll (both were pundits sat in the studio with Gabby).
  • UriahUriah Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »

I'm not surprised that you are the person bringing this up. You seem to revel in sensationalism adversely affecting a certain religious/national persuasion.

The Irish and British people have come a long, long way. Respect is at its very core. Personal choice is the right of every individual from both nations. It would appear that there are deep seated reasons for McClean's attitude. Bearing in mind that he chose to play for Ireland and labelled Catholics that say they want to play for N Ireland as 'liars', I thought most of us weren't that bothered about his choices.

Footballer chooses Ireland over NI. Footballer doesn't wear a poppy - BIG DEAL!! :mad:
  • UriahUriah Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »

I don't believe that he did and would be surprised if he did not wear one. Are you from NI by any chance? Rangers supporter?
    Forum Member
    Uriah wrote: »
    I don't believe that he did and would be surprised if he did not wear one. Are you from NI by any chance? Rangers supporter?

no and the total opposite from a pro British nationalist! :)
  • Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has the right not to wear one.

But don't other people also have the right to criticise him?
    Forum Member

No, not really.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why should he be criticised? Are people criticised walking down the street with no poppy?