Roles in films that were tailor made for actors and actresses?

Comments

• tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Warwick Davis - Willow. Only Verne Troyer in a wig would have done it better.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088247/trivia

Apparently OJ Simpson. :eek: (Considered, not chosen).

OJ didn't look like a killer....

Lance Henrickson was also considered at one point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    If an actor does his/her job right, then you should be 100% convinced by their performance and believe that they ARE the character that they are portraying. If they don't, then your mind might go to who might have played the role better. So really, the quesion is, who is the best actor/actress?

However, in movies where an actor had to be replaced because of death, like in Richard Harris' case, then it's easy to compare him to his replacement, and I agree that Gambon was a poor replacement, because Harris completely became the character of Dumbledore, but Gambon admitted to not even being familiar with Harry Potter - and it showed.

Or in the case of franchises like Bond, where the actor is replaced after a certain number of films, again, it's then easy to sit a question who best becomes the character. For me, it was Pierce Brosnan, who always looked exactly right and played it exactly the way I imagined the suave English spy would be. Saying that, Sean Connery would always be the standout, because he was the first, and will always be considered the best by most.

Some of the best actors for me are:-
    Tom Hanks. His Oscar winning performances were perfection in "Philadelphia" and "Forrest Gump."
    Maggie Smith. It doesn't matter what she plays, she always makes the role her very own. As the Dowager Countess or Professor Mcgonagal, she is those characters.
    Johnny Depp. The man is an acting powerhouse, and can do "Out there on the edge of insanity," just as easily as "heartfelt and poignant." He IS Captain Jack Sparrow, but in my mind he is also "Willi Wonka," or "Sweeny Todd," or pretty much anything else he has ever played.

I also agree 100% about Arnie. Nobody could have played The Terminator better than he did. :)
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diane Keaton - Annie Hall (Annie Hall)
    Kate Hudson - Penny Lane (Almost Famous)
    Dianne Wiest - Helen Sinclair (Bullets Over Broadway)
    Jack Nicholson -R.P. McMurphy (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, it's Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara and Hugh Jackman as Wolverine :)
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie Coltrane as Hagrid in HP. But that's only because I read the books before hand and to me he fit perfectly. I recall JKR saying afterwards that she wrote Hagrid with RC in mind!
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aerick wrote: »
    just saw "Lincoln" yesterday. Could not imagine anybody else. Daniel Day Lewis was magnificent. Tear worthy!

another:
    Clark Gable as Rhett Butler.
    NatalieP wrote: »
    For me, it's Vivien Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara and Hugh Jackman as Wolverine :)

As soon as I saw the thread title I thought Vivien Leigh as Scarlett.

But can't agree about Clark Gable, always comes across as sleazy and too old to me.

Would say Olivier Di Havilland as Mellie was the other outstanding performance that you can't separate the actor from the character.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamespondo wrote: »
    Sylvester Stallone's Rocky Balboa

Didn't he create the character himself? The role really was tailor made for him if so!
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anthony Hopkins - Hannibal Lecter
    Michael J Fox - Marty McFly
    Christopher Lloyd - Emmett Brown
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    Didn't he create the character himself? The role really was tailor made for him if so!

Yep he did i bileve and he did the screenplay for Rambo
  • SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Cruise - Jack Reacher

......runs away laughing......

ETA.. Jody Foster - Clarice... that useless bint in Hannibal wasn't a scratch on her.
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arnold Schwarzenegger as The Terminator.

Who else could play a monosyllabic, emotionless robot better than Arnie?

This^^ Was the first thing that came to mind and for the same reason!

I always think Jack Nicholson in The Witches of Eastwick was ideal casting. To me, how he was in that is how I see him in real life!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Daniel Day Lewis as Daniel Plainview in 'There Will Be Blood'.

Day Lewis is great in everything he does, but this was sheer acting perfection.
    Forum Member
    Not really a movie one but Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Robert DeNiro in some of his earlier roles, such as Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver and Jake LaMotta (sp?) in Raging Bull.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catherine Zeta Jonea-Velma Kelly in Chicago
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catherine Zeta Jonea-Velma Kelly in Chicago
    I disagree with that one.
  • dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harrison Ford - Indiana Jones
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    sigourney weaver (Ripley) Alien films
    Steve Mcqueen (Frank Bullitt) Bullitt
    Morgan Freeman (Red) Shawshank Redemption
    Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty (Bonnie and Clyde)
    Forum Member
    Al Pacino as Michael Corleone
    Ron Perlman as Hellboy
    Marty Feldman as Igor in Young Frankenstien
    Gene Hackman as Popeye Doyle
    Robert Shaw as Quint
    Paul Newman and Robert Redford as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Oh and I forgot.....!

Betty Davis and Joan Crawford in "Whatever happened to Baby Jane"

With their well known rivalry I couldn't imagine two better matched actresses to play those roles. :)
    Forum Member
    Christopher Reeve as Superman
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another example that comes to mind is Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler. There were parallels between Randy the Ram and Rourke's personal life such as when he left Hollywood to become a boxer. His life had declined and everyone has written him off as an actor. Rourke, said himself that he could engage with the atmosphere of being the ring. Also the director Darren Aronofsky fought hard to secure Rourke the role after it was alleged that Nicholas Cage was going to cast as Randy the Ram.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double post.