Options

LED or LCD?

2»

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as my memory serves, Noise, Philips have not sold plasma TVs for several years now.

I know, which is a shame. i never used to like Philips stuff, but this TV have done really well, a friend of mine had the same model at the same time, in fact she paid for mine as well, she had a good deal. i am not sure who makes Plasma now
    Netflix ends in an 'x', by the way. I apologise in advance if English is not your first language, or you are dyslexic. If neither of those applies, however..

I have no idea why I keep putting a K at the end, you are right of cause it is a X.
    . Oh, and when you have actually checked the viewing preferences of 'most people', please feel free to quote your findings.

Viewing preferences? if you mean that most people can't tell what good quality is then I stick by what I said. because most don't.
    You only have to look at the way people listen to music these days to see that very few people give a crap about quality as long as they can see something on the screen or hear something.
    I have never seen your TV, so cannot comment on how it compares with mine. I simply write as I find. HD on my new TV is excellent and SD - although it varies from channel to channel - is never unwatchable. A friend of mine also has a new flatscreen. We both live within line of sight of the same transmitter, and both have good aerials and cables. His is a 32" Beko. Mine is a 39" Philips. On his, Dave is unwatchable: blurred, poor colours, dreadful. On mine, it is watchable - not brilliant, of course, but watchable. Obviously, my kit is more expensive than his, so it would be reasonable to expect it to produce better results.

I never said it was unwatchable, I said it was naff and it is naff, Hd is a bit better, but certainly not worth the hype it is given and now the BBc is changing their BBC HD channel to just another repeat channel with better quality picture.

Total waste of space to be honest, they should keep it as BBC HD.
    At least there was something worth watching on it now and again.
    The point that I made in my original post was that someone looking for a new TV should actually get out and audition a few for themselves.

That makes sense, unless they buy it online and then it is not possible to see what it is like
    The shop won't show you how it handles standard definition unless you ask them to - and you should.

The problem here is that a TV never look the same in a shop as it does at home.
    Modern sets were designed to give of their best in HD, but it may be some time before we have more than a handful of HD channels, given the current financial climate. Consequently, it makes sense to discover how a set handles SD before parting with your cash.

It will be years before we get any more channels in HD, instead they will just fill what little space is left if there is any left with crap.
    I did read somewhere that there is suppose to be a temporary Mux that will be used for HD, not sure what the point of that is.

We will see what happens in the future I suppose, but they got to keep at least the main channels in Sd because so many people got just SD tuners in their TV and i think people would get a bit annoyed if they are told they have to get a new box or TV again.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Blooming heck, your a bit like Jonathan Heart from Heart to Heart, a kiss of death. In the TV show all those around them tended to end up in grief and all your chums seem to have bad TV's/telephone/mobiles/computers/broadband/electricity/gas :eek:

Any of them happy with life in general ;)

what the hell are you on about? I am saying what I notice on their TV, it is just LCD/LED sets in general.

They don't all have problems. as far as i know they don't have bad TVs, it is just the way LCD is.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    If SD channels are to be watched then it is a good idea to get a TV which handles them properly. My 32" Panasonic does a pretty good job of scaling them right - even the crappiest channels don't look any worse than they did on my previous CRT set.

It can be difficult to persuade some shops to demo SD signals. I saw my set in a shop which wouldn't or couldn't do it - but I read good reviews on the internet about the SD.

Eventually got it delivered by John Lewis with a free five year guarantee so the shop lost out on that one. :)

It is a side-lit LED TV (Panasonic L32-ET5B ) and the black depth is better than pure LCD sets. No complaints - though it wasn't too cheap.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,522
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    I know, which is a shame. i never used to like Philips stuff

No one who knows anything about electronics does :D

Even the local Philips service agents say it's crap :p

but this TV have done really well, a friend of mine had the same model at the same time, in fact she paid for mine as well, she had a good deal. i am not sure who makes Plasma now

Only Panasonic, Samsung and LG.