Options

Sky TV prices will rise on 1st June

Comments

• Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just love watching this post,looks like their are many now questioning their need to pay for what is something they can watch on freeview , freesat and on demand without paying a subscription. and am I being cynical when the sun put the price of their Saturday paper up 10p today so that plus Sky increase makes uncle Rupert happy

Of course your beloved BT NEVER raise their prices. <sarcastic smiley>
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be that they are moving the price change to accomodate launching Ethan in September?
    Darroch has already said 4K doesn't figure in any current plans at the moment as they are concentrating on further developments with the boxsets side of things.

It would take a very brave European broadcaster to forge ahead with off-air 4K until Phase 2 has been approved because a lot can change in the intervening 2-3 years before that happens.
  • Options
    missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Of course your beloved BT NEVER raise their prices. <sarcastic smiley>

they do but not as much as Sky I am still watching BT Sport free in HD and paying less for BB than I would to get it free with Sky.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4K is meant to be coming out this year, its being "rushed" as BT are close to releasing 4K.
  • Options
    ickabodickabod Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they do but not as much as Sky I am still watching BT Sport free in HD and paying less for BB than I would to get it free with Sky.

How do you still get BT Sport HD for free?, I got it free for first season then they were looking £3pm
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lucky you, but BT Sport coverage isn't a patch on Sky Sports.
    The excellent coverage of sport by Sky is the only reason we have Sky tv.
    If Sky did a sport only package we would just use that and switch to freeview.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ickabod wrote: »
    How do you still get BT Sport HD for free?, I got it free for first season then they were looking £3pm

the same as you do with all your service providers ask for a deal or you will go elsewhere., but saying you will go to Sky for your BB usually gets what you want :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »

hope you don't like watching Champions League as your screen will be a bit blank next season :D:D
  • Options
    Jimmy_BarnesJimmy_Barnes Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If Sky were a flexible, more accommodating company like BT, you and all other sports fans would have been able to do that for a long time. As it is, Sky insist you subscribe to their basic entertainment package, whether you want it or not, just so you can pay to receive sport.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hope you don't like watching Champions League as your screen will be a bit blank next season :D:D

Wont miss it.
    But would miss, darts (the proper league :D not rubbish BDO bt have) , formula one, rugby league etc etc, all stuff you cant get on BT sports.
    Also the presentation of all the BTsport shows ive seen are rubbish.
    Im sorry but for sport, nobody does it better than sky.
    Oh and dont get me started on the presentation of sport shows on the BBC :o

But going off youre user name, i suppose im not going to get a reasonable discussion from you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Sky were a flexible, more accommodating company like BT, you and all other sports fans would have been able to do that for a long time. As it is, Sky insist you subscribe to their basic entertainment package, whether you want it or not, just so you can pay to receive sport.

Yep, really does my head in with the Sky packages. >:(
    As sport coverage is now being spread out over BT, Sky, BBC etc, subscribing to them all works out expensive.
    It would help if Sky did a sport only subscription.
  • Options
    Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    4K is meant to be coming out this year, its being "rushed" as BT are close to releasing 4K.

This is just pure speculation, Sky have not confirmed it and some at Sky seem to contradict it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ickabod wrote: »

missbtsport has claimed in another thread that he is getting some super duper lifetime offer for free HD and heavily discounted BB from BT. Believe it if you like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's ok, we can watch recordings of this seasons matches. It's invariably the same old teams playing each other every year anyway.
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marti S wrote: »
    This is just pure speculation, Sky have not confirmed it and some at Sky seem to contradict it.

It was meant to happen in the summer, we will see if it does.
  • Options
    NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darroch knocked back the idea of a new 4k ready box – reported as Project Ethan – explaining the rate of change was different to what it was ten or even five years ago. Rather than replace the entire set-top box inventory it was more likely that changes were made to the software stack.

“Ultra HD is TBD – it does really well on big screens, but less impactful on smaller screens,” said Darroch. “The jury is still out as to how big an idea it will be, we’re thinking about the box power, how we build into the software stack and the broadcast infrastructure that goes alongside that.”

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2015/02/04/sky-to-develop-boxed-sets-caution-on-4k/
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,527
    Forum Member

You mean it was 'rumoured' :D - there's never been any kind of announcement as to when, or even if, a 4K service might be launched.

The only official announcement was a very long time back, when 4K sets first started to appear, and Sky confirmed they were working on developing a 4K box 'just in case' they wished to launch a 4K service in the future.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the same as you do with all your service providers ask for a deal or you will go elsewhere., but saying you will go to Sky for your BB usually gets what you want :D:D

Go on, spill the beans,what is this fantastic offer they give you ?:D
  • Options
    webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, really does my head in with the Sky packages. >:(
    As sport coverage is now being spread out over BT, Sky, BBC etc, subscribing to them all works out expensive.
    It would help if Sky did a sport only subscription.

I think it's time for sky to spilt up its sky sports package into sky football, sky rugby, sky cricket, and sky others so rugby fans don't have to pay for football and vice versa.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    webbie wrote: »
    I think it's time for sky to spilt up its sky sports package into sky football, sky rugby, sky cricket, and sky others so rugby fans don't have to pay for football and vice versa.

Wish they would, but it won't happen, because they rely on people with no interest to subsidise football.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Resonance wrote: »
    Wish they would, but it won't happen, because they rely on people with no interest to subsidise football.

There will be a point, however, when the situation changes. We may or may not be there this year or next but the development of Now TV indicated a willingness on their part to have an alternative, should their established business model falter.

BT have started to challenge it by having a much lower point of entry for their sports packages (£5 pm for basic TV) and it will be interesting to see if Sky once again freeze their basic TV package price, which would indicate that they are aware of the potential problem.

There are other models too, elsewhere in the World. Star Sports for example have chopped up sports packages, at zero cost over and above the sports packages themselves. The Times They Are A Changin'. Maybe.
  • Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member
    Sky would be reluctant to do this as 'a-la-carte' pricing models for pay TV would yield much lower ARPU.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I can see many going back to Freeview.

...or perhaps some going to Freesat + Netflix or a similar arrangement unless someone absolutely just has to have the Sky Sports package. That said, any would-be leaver might be offered a tempting retainer deal.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    webbie wrote: »

That's a good idea make the footy fans pay if they want the footy and the rest of us can have cheaper deals!
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »

Which is bad why should I subsidise football on sky when I don't watch it?