IGN review timetable

2»

Comments

• Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    Reviews are pointless.

Is that the new line since the PS4 launch games were mostly reviewed poorly? :p

Joking of course. I totally get your point and agree with it in some ways. I tend to look at the overall reviews at metacritic.com to get a feel if the game is generally well received or not across the board.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Is that the new line since the PS4 launch games were mostly reviewed poorly? :p

Joking of course. I totally get your point and agree with it in some ways. I tend to look at the overall reviews at metacritic.com to get a feel if the game is generally well received or not across the board.
    It is that very reason that I ignore them.

So, take Knack - got good reviews in a few places, got trashed in some places and got average in others.

The Fony guy will point to the 8.25/10, the Xbot will point to the 4/10.

Me? I'll go play the game and decide for myself based on video evidence and hands-on from the demo units.

Maybe back when we didn't have immediate access to trailers, gameplay videos and hands-on previews on YouTube they carried more weight in terms of finding out more about the game but these days they're useless you get much more useful information from gameplay videos on YouTube.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    Its got off to a better start than I was expecting, the first big exclusive is scoring well (DR3) more or less across the board, I'll be amazed if Forza doesn't at least match the IGN 8.3 and Ryse I don't care about as it's looking great for me. Zoo Tycoon I've had on pre-order since Shopto messed up and put it in at £25 so I'm happy with paying that considering the reviews and I actually think the menu criticism is a little harsh for a game of that nature.

One thing it does highlight is that there really is a wealth of exclusives on Xbox One at retail that should all cater to different markets, as well as the COD/Battlefield for the hardcore. I think software wise, Microsoft are really wiping the floor with Sony at launch with Sunset Overdrive/Quantum Break/Titanfall all coming in the new year its looking pretty bright. Very impressed considering the shaky launch back in May
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Reviews are pretty much in line with what i was expecting so far, although DR3 has been better received that i thought it would. The whole "looks like a last gen game" and performance problems have put me off buying it though until it's cheaper though (unless the day one patch fixes the performance issues). I'd be shocked if Forza recieved less than an 8, even with less tracks than it's predecessors i expect it to be a technical triumph on the tracks that are included, and considering i'm getting the game free with my X1 i'm not overly bothered by reviews for that one, as long as it plays like Forza while looking gorgeous i'll be happy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    As promised, I have returned to point out that Chopoff's predictions of scores in the 5-6 range for Dead Rising 3 and 7 range for Forza 5 have failed to come true; Dead Rising has a 78 on Metacritic, Forza has an 82.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JakeMurrin wrote: »
    As promised, I have returned to point out that Chopoff's predictions of scores in the 5-6 range for Dead Rising 3 and 7 range for Forza 5 have failed to come true; Dead Rising has a 78 on Metacritic, Forza has an 82.

To be fair, a lot of us were expecting bad reviews for DR3. There were clearly framerate issues in the videos we had available to us. We only found out about an additional patch once the embargo was released.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no I didn't get 100% score accuracy what a effing c I am.

Singling people out is also a very nice trait and can often show fear, so congratulations.

And actually I did pretty well - and the additional comments I made were pretty accurate too.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    chopoff wrote: »
    Oh no I didn't get 100% score accuracy what a effing c I am.

Singling people out is also a very nice trait and can often show fear, so congratulations.

And actually I did pretty well - and the additional comments I made were pretty accurate too.

Once you finally get your hands on your PS4 I'm assuming you're going to give all of this a rest..right?

(and by "this" you know what I mean)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    I'm not afraid of anything, Chopoff; I just think you need to make better predictions, perhaps by considering what factors may have led you astray. I never challenged your prediction that Ryse would score in the 6 range, because that sounded about right to me, and it has indeed come to pass (Metacritic 61). It was obvious to unbiased observers (read: not Neogaf) that Dead Rising 3 would be a great game, and that the framerate problem had been wildly exaggerated by Internet trolls based on the flimsiest of evidence; hands-on previews from magazines like Game Informer had been uniformly positive, and the series has some pedigree behind it. Expecting Dead Rising 3 to score between 2 and 3.5 points lower on average than either of its predecessors was not a rational belief; if anything, it was actually wishful thinking on the part of Sony zealots. Even expecting Forza 5 to get 7s was more reasonable, although the series has consistently maintained an impeccable quality.

When you say you were "only" off between 1 and 3 points on a 10-point scale, I wonder what the point of making predictions is.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not afraid of anything, Chopoff; I just think you need to make better predictions, perhaps by considering what factors may have led you astray. I never challenged your prediction that Ryse would score in the 6 range, because that sounded about right to me, and it has indeed come to pass (Metacritic 61). It was obvious to unbiased observers (read: not Neogaf) that Dead Rising 3 would be a great game, and that the framerate problem had been wildly exaggerated by Internet trolls based on the flimsiest of evidence; hands-on previews from magazines like Game Informer had been uniformly positive, and the series has some pedigree behind it. Expecting Dead Rising 3 to score between 2 and 3.5 points lower on average than either of its predecessors was not a rational belief; if anything, it was actually wishful thinking on the part of Sony zealots. Even expecting Forza 5 to get 7s was more reasonable, although the series has consistently maintained an impeccable quality.

When you say you were "only" off between 1 and 3 points on a 10-point scale, I wonder what the point of making predictions is.

I don't think that is really fair. The scores he predicted were based on his own personal assumptions. Are we not allowed to post what we think on here now?