Options

What ID required for UK internal flights?

2»

Comments

• Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Best to check with the airline(s). The bottom line is that some kind of official photo id will be required. I am not sure it's the law as such but it's what the airlines stipulate in order to fly with them.
  • Options
    robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for both your posts

might aswell get a pasport i suppose his one ran out years ago if a provisional costs 50 pounds(is that what it is now?! mine was 20 shows how old i am) the extra wont be too much

it does annoy me how different airlines have different rules for the same country though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    You misunderstand me sir, when they are returning to Aberdeen and they want to go airside from check-in (at whichever London Airport) then they need to go through security - who WILL require valid photo ID (Passport or Photo driving licence depending on International or Domestic as shown on boarding card). Assuming, as I said, that they have been able to check in without it (which I doubt).

I agree that arriving domestic passengers walk straight out of the airport (pretty much) without being subject to any immigration/passport control/security checks, but when returning they have to pass though security to be able to go airside/ board, domestic or not!

You generally only get asked for your boarding card going through security, I can't remember being asked to show photo ID at this stage and I regularly fly domestically (NI to other uk airports). Generally you only need to show this when you go to board the flight or if you don't check in online.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry to bump this from so long agoim jsut wondering if any laws have been changed

do u still need a driving license to go from london to aberdeen?

my husband has no license no passport and only his security (sia) id with his picture on it

would that be acceptable does anyone know? you would think so as he had to have police checks to get it but who knows

It depends on who you fly with. Most airlines, including EasyJet, will accept a photo driving licence but Ryanair insist on a passport:

See: http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions

"Ryanair does NOT accept driver licences, residence cards, family books, seaman books, military ID cards etc. Expired or damaged forms of photo-id will not be accepted on any flight."

The Jockey Frankie Dettori was recently refused boarding on a Stansted to Glasgow flight as he didn't have his passport: http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/other-sports-news/passport-blunder-fails-to-prevent-frankie-dettori-from-taking-ayr-gold-cup-for-second-year-in-a-row-1.1056027
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for both your posts

might aswell get a pasport i suppose his one ran out years ago if a provisional costs 50 pounds(is that what it is now?! mine was 20 shows how old i am) the extra wont be too much

it does annoy me how different airlines have different rules for the same country though

Passport is for 10 years, I think the license is until they are 70. But to be honest if you are thinking of traveling abroad, even to france or something for the day, you will need a passport so it makes sense to get one.

and yes its £50, just checked on direct gov website.
  • Options
    RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, was this really 2 years ago. Fwiw, she made it through with her DHL thing anyway lol :D
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »
    Best to check with the airline(s). The bottom line is that some kind of official photo id will be required.

Except when it isn't. British Airways don't require any ID, for example.
  • Options
    camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Except when it isn't. British Airways don't require any ID, for example.

The last and only time I flew out of Belafast with BA I had to produce a passport, I think its pot luck at times as I have been asked for a passport by 3 different air operators.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woud it not be worth checking the t&c on the flight confirmation?
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would take a passport to be safe. Last time I flew most people just used their drivers license and were fine. But one time my parents had to get into an argument with Easyjet as they wouldn't let them board since they didn't have passports for a domestic flight. Both of them had their drivers license but they wouldn't accept it. They ended up speaking to a manager who let them on as he couldn't be bothered to fight it.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    I would take a passport to be safe. Last time I flew most people just used their drivers license and were fine. But one time my parents had to get into an argument with Easyjet as they wouldn't let them board since they didn't have passports for a domestic flight. Both of them had their drivers license but they wouldn't accept it. They ended up speaking to a manager who let them on as he couldn't be bothered to fight it.

Was it a old paper or photo driving licence?

EasyJet definitely accept driving licences for domestic flights - but only the new photograph ones. I fly from Stansted to Newcastle regularly and never take my passport. If you check-in online then you need to show some ID at security and then again at the gate. A photo driving licence is always fine.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    RubusRoo wrote: »
    I've a friend who's travelling from Aberdeen to London & she's been told that her DHL photo id is all that is required to travel.

Does anyone know if she's likely to have problems getting on the flight?
    I travelled Aberdeen-London and back twice last year and never did get asked for ID. A driving licence would be enough though.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Was it a old paper or photo driving licence?

EasyJet definitely accept driving licences for domestic flights - but only the new photograph ones. I fly from Stansted to Newcastle regularly and never take my passport. If you check-in online then you need to show some ID at security and then again at the gate. A photo driving licence is always fine.

No they were both new ones which is what surprised them. I have no idea why they didn't accept it but as soon as the manager came down and saw it he let them on. So perhaps it was just a member of staff that didn't know the rules?
  • Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When I fly Birmingham - Edinburgh and back you just walk off the plane, claim baggage and then walk straight out to the exit of the airports.

Same when you fly East Midlands to Glasgow ~ (with a driving licence:p)