Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• SambdaSambda Posts: 6,185
    Forum Member
    Paully_C wrote: »
    Because the nominal payment for presenting the show that Wogan receives is from BBC One's budget for making entertainment shows. No money at all from the Children in Need goes to him or to any of the other presenters.

It's the same as the camera operators, lighting people, set designers, etc - they get paid by BBC One for producing an entertainment show. All of that comes from the licence fee, not from the money the public donates to Children in Need.

At the end of the day, he is taking money for something that I think he is not expected to.

And, as has been explained, his fee is not "nominal".

And as the poster above says, I was under the general impression that "services are given for free" for CiN. I'm pretty sure I've hear that tag-line used in relation to CiN.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He could still give up the fee and donate it and his time to the charity

Exactly. If he is presenting a show in which people are urged to donate money, he should do the same and donate his pay.
  • LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    In fairness to Terry Wogan, he gets paid a nominal amount for doing CIN because it's against the Equity (actors/TV performers' union) rules for people who work in the industry to do TV broadcasts without being paid.

Equity don't have rules against their members giving fees to charity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    I agree with this, Harr. The fact that they mention this in their autobiography and think it's a bit of a 'laff' shows how immature they still are, not to mention disrespectful. Don't worry- the boot could very easily be on the other foot. It's not like it's never happened to them at an inappropriate time, 'cause I'd bet my last 20p it has.

Too true, I was only 18 at the time, I suffer from a learning disability, and to me at that point they were the best thing ever, I looked up to them a lot. That day I remember I was so pleased to have met the band I loved, that I didn't think anything of what was going on downstairs, it was just one of those things that happens when you're a teenager, if you've ever watched the Inbetweeners, you'll know what I mean. When that came out, it was horrible alright, I suffered terrible ridicule as everyone knew str8 away that it was me as I was a regular on their forums but having spent lots of money on merch and tickets to their shows which were upcoming at the time, I felt I had little choice but to carry on with them. For the next few years I kind of forgot about them, until they started appearing again on reality TV shows, kind of brought all the unpleasant memories back to me. When I saw they had an autobiography out, I had a sinking feeling that this was would be brought up again, and my worst fears were confirmed, I'm described by Danny as "a little bit odd" and he also says "it looked like he had pinched one of Harry's drumsticks and stuck it down his trousers" "Time for a sharp exit, as Boner Boy waved us off, his trousers stuck out like a tent" so a few weeks ago their CDs (which I had held onto just in case I had a change of heart) went under the hammer, literally!
  • mellybumpsmellybumps Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    DH7 wrote: »
    I had the questionable joy of working with Denise Robertson a number of years ago. A truly vile woman who had the ability to reduce people to tears with her rudeness. Plus, she's damn frightening without make-up.

Noooooo!!!!! :cry: I always loved Denise! And she seems so genuine, right down to tears in her eyes :( Somehow this has shocked me more than all the others.
  • Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rod Stewart has been doing the rounds recently and whilst he was on the Chris Evans show he mentioned that he had travelled on the same flight as Adele and what a darling she is - he also said that he had been on a flight with McFly - he stopped short of saying what he really thought of them but he gave the imression they had been a pain in the butt and not very pleasant.
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harr123 wrote: »
    Too true, I was only 18 at the time, I suffer from a learning disability, and to me at that point they were the best thing ever, I looked up to them a lot. That day I remember I was so pleased to have met the band I loved, that I didn't think anything of what was going on downstairs, it was just one of those things that happens when you're a teenager, if you've ever watched the Inbetweeners, you'll know what I mean. When that came out, it was horrible alright, I suffered terrible ridicule as everyone knew str8 away that it was me as I was a regular on their forums but having spent lots of money on merch and tickets to their shows which were upcoming at the time, I felt I had little choice but to carry on with them. For the next few years I kind of forgot about them, until they started appearing again on reality TV shows, kind of brought all the unpleasant memories back to me. When I saw they had an autobiography out, I had a sinking feeling that this was would be brought up again, and my worst fears were confirmed, I'm described by Danny as "a little bit odd" and he also says "it looked like he had pinched one of Harry's drumsticks and stuck it down his trousers" "Time for a sharp exit, as Boner Boy waved us off, his trousers stuck out like a tent" so a few weeks ago their CDs (which I had held onto just in case I had a change of heart) went under the hammer, literally!

Im sorry but 'suffering' from a learning disability does not excuse getting an innapropriate boner. If i was famous, and it happened to me when meeting a fan, id feel sick. Its quite an unusual thing to happen. Anyway, take pride in the fact that you are obviusly endowed for it to be noticeable.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rod Stewart has been doing the rounds recently and whilst he was on the Chris Evans show he mentioned that he had travelled on the same flight as Adele and what a darling she is - he also said that he had been on a flight with McFly - he stopped short of saying what he really thought of them but he gave the imression they had been a pain in the butt and not very pleasant.

You know, maybe I'm just cynical, but I suspect that in most cases, four or five young blokes, in late teens or early twenties, enjoying the first flush of pop stardom, will be pretty much near-unbearable, off-stage, for much of the time, except to fans or fellow stars.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Im sorry but 'suffering' from a learning disability does not excuse getting an innapropriate boner. If i was famous, and it happened to me when meeting a fan, id feel sick. Its quite an unusual thing to happen. Anyway, take pride in the fact that you are obviusly endowed for it to be noticeable.

Excuse me, it wasn't actually my fault it happened, I was told to hug some guys that I liked, and when ur that age (18) ur hormones play havoc with you. My point about the disability was that it made it quite hard for me at the time to cope with the ridicule, especially at such a young age. it couldn't possibly cause a boner to happen. But I'm a man now, and quite frankly I don't give a damn about what they think about me, cos to me now McFly are nothing
  • princesarock12princesarock12 Posts: 1,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Kim Kardashian for some unknown reason thinks she's a super star and surrounds herself with huge bodyguards, and will not talk to anyone off camera.

Sort of 'met' Kim at her perfume launch in London, standoffish is not the word. It was an exclusive Q&A so it wasn't a massive crowd. She she just sat there like a porcelain doll, only smiling when there was camera flashes, and only speaking if absolutely necessary. She didn't come across as not a nice person but she was undeniably egocentric.
  • Mommie DearestMommie Dearest Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    Excuse me, it wasn't actually my fault it happened, I was told to hug some guys that I liked, and when ur that age (18) ur hormones play havoc with you. My point about the disability was that it made it quite hard for me at the time to cope with the ridicule, especially at such a young age. it couldn't possibly cause a boner to happen. But I'm a man now, and quite frankly I don't give a damn about what they think about me, cos to me now McFly are nothing

I really felt for you. And as you say, it's karma now that they're has-beens...the tweens are very fickle and as far as boybands are concerned they move onto the next best thing very swiftly i.e 1D and so on..short shelf life really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know what Bear Grylls is like? I understand he always carries a knife.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good job you're not then (famous, that is).

Going on about it in their book shows just how despicable these people are.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Good job you're not then (famous, that is).

Going on about it in their book shows just how despicable these people are.

They're certainly not behaving like adults, that's for sure.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Eh? I'd think most lads' erection would be very noticeable from behind their trousers, or whatever they had on. It must be small if it wasn't noticeable.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    They're certainly not behaving like adults, that's for sure.

I think that they owe an apology but sadly think that they are far too arrogant to go there.
  • lolacolalolacola Posts: 114
    Forum Member

Sorry for your experience with the band. I've met a few bands over the years and from what I've seen Mcfly are one of the nicest. Every time I've met them they've been nothing but nice. And I did meet them when they were teenagers and yes they were a bit like 4 monkeys on speed. I do stuff for their website and they hold meet and greets with their fans and the events I've help with they have all came and been nothing but nice. I'm sure if they realized that experience had affected you they'd have a completely different view on it.
  • Hello.Hello. Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't quite remember how, but Danny from McFly and Rod Stewart have been familiar with each other for years - possibly a family friend?
  • Hello.Hello. Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lolacola wrote: »
    Sorry for your experience with the band. I've met a few bands over the years and from what I've seen Mcfly are one of the nicest. Every time I've met them they've been nothing but nice. And I did meet them when they were teenagers and yes they were a bit like 4 monkeys on speed. I do stuff for their website and they hold meet and greets with their fans and the events I've help with they have all came and been nothing but nice. I'm sure if they realized that experience had affected you they'd have a completely different view on it.

The band are often referred to as one of the nicest. Got to admit I never thought anything of them telling the story above. They didn't name him and to me it could have been anyone and it was just a funny story. Sorry to hear it was taken to heart.
  • lolacolalolacola Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Hello. wrote: »
    I can't quite remember how, but Danny from McFly and Rod Stewart have been familiar with each other for years - possibly a family friend?

Danny and Rod are friends. There's a story of Rod giving Danny a breitling watch as a gift.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why should anyone need an excuse for getting a boner? It just happens; not always controllable, especially when you're young (not so much at my age, tragically; enjoy your easy boners while you have them youngsters - I have to work hard for mine!)

That said, I would agree with some posters that this story shows McFly as perhaps more immature and insensitive than really nasty.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think making fun of a fan and calling him a " bit odd" shows McFly up to be a bunch of immature, spitreful bunch of muppets personally. I wonder if they'd have behaved in the same way if it were an attractive young female getting over excited at meeting them?
  • 00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I randomly met Keith Allen last night in an Argos!
    Seemed nice enough, said hello, and then he was gone!
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ezzy96 wrote: »

How was dannii Minogue horrendous? where was she? etc...? x

Dannii Minogue has an awful reputation in the music industry. Staff at her record label back in the 1990s detested the woman with a passion. She's cold, demanding and unfriendly - the complete opposite of her sister.
  • wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Eh? I'd think most lads' erection would be very noticeable from behind their trousers, or whatever they had on. It must be small if it wasn't noticeable.

Genuinely astounded that anybody would admit to being part of such an embarrassing situation............possible the worst ever reason for getting an anonymous mention in a book....but then to draw attention to yourself over it:eek:.......:rolleyes: