Avatar: The Legend of Korra (UK Pace)

For anyone who'll be watching, Book 1 starts Sunday 7th July at 9am on Nickelodeon.

I've not read much about the new show, and its got a high benchmark to match with The Last Airbender but hopefully it'll be just as good.

Comments

• LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it was a great start IMO, managed to cover a lot of backstory without getting bogged down. Great to see so many references to characters from TLA (other than the obvious ones).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess I'm talking to myself, but I'll give it one more bump before letting it disappear.

Loved this weeks ep., I'd heard about Pro-Bending in the blurb before the show came out and was sceptical, but I think it actually works. Bolin and Mako seem like great additions to the cast as well.

Go Fire Ferrets! ;)
  • pokemasterpokemaster Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will talk to you :-)
    I recorded it but not watched yet, only watch about 10 episodes of the Aang series, would have liked to have finished that off before starting this but oh well, will repost when I have watched it :-)

~ pokemaster
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't find it on the search, what is it called on Sky

is it repeated at any time this week?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my planner it's called "New: Avatar: The Legend of Korra"

~ pokemaster
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pokemaster wrote: »
    In my planner it's called "New: Avatar: The Legend of Korra"

~ pokemaster

Thank you - that "New" is always throwing a wrench into my searches :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Backstory = Spoiler Alert!

~ pokemaster
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't look like it is repeated again in the week - :( it always seems the way when I miss a programme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, neither is the 2nd episode but from episode 3 they seem to repeat them twice, wonder what that's about?

~ pokemaster

p.s So the old woman in the first episode is the girl from Aang's time? Katara is it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it would seem Aang and Katara had kids?

It's nice to see her with 3 powers already :-)

~ pokemaster
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow thanks for the replies! lol I was starting to think I was the only one on DS who cared! :o:rolleyes:

re: the repeating, its bizarre that they show it once and fail to repeat it, they've sat on it long enough, you'd think they'd show the heck out of it.

Phoenixrises:
    I hope they do show the first two episodes again, but luckily I don't its too late to get into. The first two really just introduced the characters. :)

pokemaster:
    Yes, Katara is the old lady in the first episode. I was surprised when they said her name, I had no idea they'd have any direct link to TLA.
    And yes, Katara and Aang had three children, Tenzin the Airbending master being one of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show is really finding its feet now. Its perhaps a little more serious than its predecessor, but I think that it works as an evolution of the timeline.

Lin Bei Fong is a right ray of sunshine isn't she? Wow.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show is really finding its feet now. Its perhaps a little more serious than its predecessor, but I think that it works as an evolution of the timeline.

Lin Bei Fong is a right ray of sunshine isn't she? Wow.

She gets it from her Mama.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am actually enjoying this, I wasn't sure I would to be honest as I loved the characters from Avatar and I thought I would just feel that these would be imposters. But everything is different but just as well done as the original.

I am curious why Korra is struggling with Airbending in the original series Aang had difficulty with Earthbending because it is the opposite of Air. So since Korra is a Waterbender I would have thought she would have had difficulty with Firebending. I suppose it is because it is the only element we didn't really see "learnt" in the original so they wanted to start there.

I liked that we saw grown up Sokka, Toph and Aang in the flash.

I have just bought the graphic novels to get some more history. For a kids show it really is a fantastic one :)
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am actually enjoying this, I wasn't sure I would to be honest as I loved the characters from Avatar and I thought I would just feel that these would be imposters. But everything is different but just as well done as the original.

I am curious why Korra is struggling with Airbending in the original series Aang had difficulty with Earthbending because it is the opposite of Air. So since Korra is a Waterbender I would have thought she would have had difficulty with Firebending. I suppose it is because it is the only element we didn't really see "learnt" in the original so they wanted to start there.

I liked that we saw grown up Sokka, Toph and Aang in the flash.

I have just bought the graphic novels to get some more history. For a kids show it really is a fantastic one :)

The Air Nomads are calm and serene in nature, where as Korra is fiery and never cool headed, that's why she finds firebending easy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    The Air Nomads are calm and serene in nature, where as Korra is fiery and never cool headed, that's why she finds firebending easy.

I suppose that is a good enough reason :) thanks, I thought it was about the nature of the element rather than the character of the person.

I also like how the two brothers are different benders as it shows that the society is less divided its a nice touch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, do we know the real identity of the villain?

~ pokemaster
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, great to see this threads kept going whilst I've been offline! :)

pokemaster - the real identity of Amon, well my money is on
    Tarlok. Especially after the recent episode and him being a bloodbender.

Which brings me to a question.. where's the series gone? I can't see it on next week. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Sky is still series linked to an episode next Saturday (Been watching them on Saturdays)

Digiguide also has an episode to air next Saturday at 9am too

~ pokemaster
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phew, that's ok then. Thought that they'd shelved it. Guess my V+ just didn't pick the next ep up.

And with it ending on such a cliff hanger too...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are around episode 8 of 12 so it won't be long till it goes off air and we will probably have to wait ages for the 2nd series as it only starts airing in US on Friday 13th September.

~ pokemaster
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll savour it while I can then! lol

I have to say that I'd heard some mix reviews, but I'm loving it. Especially the little glimpses into the past and the TLA cast all grown up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *SPOILER ALERT* .... I have only seen the first 10 episodes of TLA...... think I watched them on Nick and then they stopped showing it, so I don't know much about it lol

As for Korra, yes it does seem good, I am enjoying that she has more than one ability :-)

~ pokemaster
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow thanks for the replies! lol I was starting to think I was the only one on DS who cared! :o:rolleyes:
    Nope but I've already watched the series via other means and am patiently waiting for the Blu-ray release! However only the DVD is listed for pre-order on Amazon.

It's a fantastic series :D
    I'll savour it while I can then! lol

I have to say that I'd heard some mix reviews, but I'm loving it. Especially the little glimpses into the past and the TLA cast all grown up.

At the time I think the reviews were very positive and I liked the Den of Geek ones (1 to 8 listed below since I think you're up to 8 based on available iTunes downloads):

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/10869/the-legend-of-korra-episodes-1-and-2-review-welcome-to-republic-city-a-leaf-in-the-wind

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/10873/the-legend-of-korra-episode-3-review-the-revelation

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/10880/the-legend-of-korra-episode-4-review-the-voice-in-the-night

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/1357276/the_legend_of_korra_episode_5_review_the_spirit_of_competition.html

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/1368765/the_legend_of_korra_episode_6_review_and_the_winner_is.html

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/21381/the-legend-of-korra-episode-7-review-the-aftermath

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-legend-of-korra/21560/the-legend-of-korra-episode-8-review-when-extremes-meet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, this week's episode 'Out of the Past' was outstanding. Fair amount of action and intrigue - I couldn't get enough of it!