To Swaddle or not to Swaddle

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://news.sky.com/story/1160851/swaddling-may-cause-hip-problems-in-babies

warnings this morning about swaddling babies causing hip problems and cot deaths,

Im afraid I swaddled both my sons, and has not caused any issues. Back in 1998 when i had my first son, Swaddling was how you wrapped baby up, and the midwife in the hospital showed you how to do it properly before you left the ward, however in 2009 when i had my second child, swaddling was not mentioned,but we still did it as we found he could not sleep without feeling wrapped up. In fact neither of my children could sleep without feeling wrapped up.

I cant see how the method i was taught to swaddle would cause hip problems as it mainly wrapped the arms and was very loose around the legs (didnt really touch the legs at all)

As for the cot death issues, it seems that they have tried to link everything you could ever do with a baby to it, and they still dont really know.

Comments

• Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    It's the other type of swaddling that encloses the legs and stops them from moving that causes problems.

Neither of mine would be swaddled, they fought against it and cried.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was good enough for Jesus..................:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    We Hoddled ours as well. It gave them a mullet in later life but it was a small price to pay.
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    I had my second son this year and the midwife would swaddle him for me. I never could get it right though!

Maybe (as usual) they're more worried about people doing it wrong so just tell us all to stop instead of teaching people to do it properly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We Hoddled ours as well. It gave them a mullet in later life but it was a small price to pay.

Very good! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend is a nurse at Great Ormond Street where this consultant is from, and the hospital is still using swaddling on their baby patients.
    My first baby is due in 7 weeks, I planned to try swaddling, if he doesn't like it then I'll stop. I hate all this linked to cot death stuff, I had a brother die, the reason was cot death, so now I'm ultra paranoid about my baby,it almost turns you neurotic with all the stress of what does and what doesn't cause cot death.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I never swaddled mine at all. They are 16 and 14 now. I never even thought of it.
  • DisnaeDisnae Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    I swaddled mine in the first days after birth and the babies weren't harmed at all. Swaddling wasn't an issue then though I remember being worried about the type of mattress and whether or not to have cot bumpers ( we didn't).
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is wrong to swaddle a baby they should be able to move their arms and legs freely.
    Forum Member
    I think it is wrong to swaddle a baby they should be able to move their arms and legs freely.

Some babies prefer it. They've spent months being unable to move freely and they find it comforting.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've never swaddled, maybe we should have as we have the most wriggly, fidgety little child (In his sleep and in general :o)

His gran would swaddle him when he was newborn and he was fine, if we tried he'd get really upset so we gave up.

As soon as he was big enough he went into Gro-Bags (baby sleeping bags)
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Some babies prefer it. They've spent months being unable to move freely and they find it comforting.

Some hate it as now they know they can move then want to.

Think my baby was one of these??
    Forum Member
    Some hate it as now they know they can move then want to.

Think my baby was one of these??

Yeah, my two hated it as well. Just cried and wouldn't settle at all.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I had my first kid in 1989, and thought it was something from the olden days. No-one mentioned it, or showed you how to do it.
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine were swaddled at the arms too, legs weren't necessary. Was a miracle fix with them.

(and it was recommended to us, to try it at least, by hospital/midwives as recently as three years ago)
  • DomestosDomestos Posts: 7,014
    Forum Member
    I wasn't swaddled, and mine weren't either.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Number one was swaddled the Paediatrician did it too him in hospital and taught me how he preferred it only way he would sleep.

Number 2 hated the idea and always wanted to squirm
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member

As soon as he was big enough he went into Gro-Bags (baby sleeping bags)

Brilliant things - we used them for all of ours, and the car seat one (with the holes for the belts to go through) were a god send.

Baby can wiggle as much as it wants, not worries about them going under the covers, getting bound up, too hot or cold.
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    No. I had my first kid in 1989, and thought it was something from the olden days. No-one mentioned it, or showed you how to do it.

They did a year later, when I had mine.
  • Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my wife swaddled our son because he was a restless baby & it was the only way she could get him to sleep
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a few 14 year olds around here that need swaddling ever-so ever-so tightly.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I swaddled mine,one liked it and one didn't. Each child's an individual and you soon learn what they like and what they don't. Many years later, the one who liked being swaddled wraps herself in her quilt and the other's quilt spends most of its time on the floor!
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did but only for a few weeks with both babies. They were fairly active babies I have to say.

My M-I-L used to live near a woman from one of the Scandinavian countries and she used to wrap her babies in things like strait jackets. They were well & truly bound up and tied.

I also notice that some African women wrap their babies up like little bugs in rugs and then pop them inside a big, bright cloth which is then tied tightly on their backs. Despite being so restricted I have never seen one crying yet!;)
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first baby (now 26!) was swaddled and couldn't settle unless wrapped up...My second baby (now 21) couldn't bare it..They are exactly the same all these years on, one wraps herself up tightly in the duvet, and the other can't stand having any covers over her!
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I swaddled all mine for the first few weeks, just the arms though. A freind then gave me one of the Gro Bag things, and I now a vast collection of the things! Can't part with them as they just so cute and full of sentimental value.:o