Is sky Broadband any good ?

Comments

• GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it is, finally got decent internet, 6mb has been the highest here, for god knows how many years until Fbire became available, and i think that was only sometime last year.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well ive been on the fibre for a week now, and its still so far so good, connections been rock solid, still getting 37mb+ down, just under 7mb up, anytime of the day or night, so no congestion either. :)

Noticed in my router stats, that the down noise margin has now increased to 9.9 (from 9.6), and the ups gone to 6.6 (from 5.5), as still in the first 10 days.
  • jeffkey1jeffkey1 Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    jeffkey1 wrote: »
    Hi Grouty,

I have just started the same process. The op said I could connect the Modem in advance of the activation date, i.e as soon as it arrives, as it will fall back my current LLU connection.

Also don't forget it may take 10 days to come up to speed as it does it training.

P.S I got my "Your Hub is being shipped email this morning."

My activation was on the 19th Sept. Box arrived in plenty of time. Received an SR102 so it was and easy swap out of the old sky box with the new.
    Changed SSID and WiFi Password to match old box so no other kit need changing.

Changed box Admin Password of course.

By Sunday, when I last looked, its running about 34MB Down and 8 MB up.

So far very pleased with the service.

Jeff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to hear that it also went problem free for you too. :)
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Grouty. Have made the plunge and ordered sky bb. Roughly 2 weeks to activation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice, i was umming and arring over making the upgrade to the Fibre for months, i should have just done it, was a breeze, no problems at all, hope you have the same trouble free experience.
  • tk99uktk99uk Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Hi Grouty. Back on post #37 I said I was thinking of upgrading and was following your progress. Well, I went ahead and ordered Sky Fibre on 15th Sept. The hub arrived on the 18th and I went live today 24th. All straightforward and no problems. Very pleased with the results so far.

As you said, should have done it ages ago.

Previously, my download speeds were around 2.6mbps. Currently download is 40.9 and upload is 51.0. I know that will fluctuate as it settles in but quite an improvement!

:):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats a great increase, glad it all went well. :)

Have to thank BT though i guess, as if i hadn't have gotten that letter about the increase, id have probably still been umming and arring :D
  • sheernesssheerness Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    I had 2 accounts with sky one in South Wales and one in sheerness Kent, broadband can be ok but not a good connection despite having open reach installing brand new lines, also sky phone was never working just a dead line apart from broadband was working but at a reduced speed, so in a word the answer is NO to sky broadband and phone, I am now with plus.net in 4 yeas I have 3 accounts both in Wales and England with no problems and never expereanced any issue with there broadband and fiber, that's my thoughts anyway, if anyone is interested to join plus net please let me know because I always seem to get a discount for myself for people I recommend and you also get savings so if anyone out there would like to give it ago pm me :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys just to say. I connected to sky broadband today. They told me it could take up to 10 days to establish itself. So far so good nice black hub and the speed is the best I have had from any provider so far. So I'm pleased at the moment all be it the first day lol :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats good news, glad it all went well :)

Was not much change for me over the first 10 days, my download stayed at 39973, that only changed the other day (after 3 weeks), went up to 39998, my upload only changed a couple of times, but only slightly, so hasn't made a difference, as im still getting around 6.70 Mbps on that, it started at 7042, then it went down to 7006, then down again slightly to 69xx, before going back up again to 7066, before going back down again to 6951.

Its great downloading at about 4.50 MB/s :D
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I cannot fault Sky Broadband at all, I've had Sky Fibre Unlimited since Day 1 and my router stats have always stayed at this:

DownStream Connection Speed 39998 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 9999 kbps

Very impressed as I too was only getting 2-3 meg on ADSL :)
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,171
    Forum Member
    i agree.... mine has been brilliant ...and I am impressed with the customer care.... sure i had to wait 15 minutes on a sunday but it was answered by a very helpful uk based operative and I was informed that the issue would be fixed on the first working day .... it was fixed 20 minutes past midnight and I received a days refund! Very Impressed!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Thats good news, glad it all went well :)

Was not much change for me over the first 10 days, my download stayed at 39973, that only changed the other day (after 3 weeks), went up to 39998, my upload only changed a couple of times, but only slightly, so hasn't made a difference, as im still getting around 6.70 Mbps on that, it started at 7042, then it went down to 7006, then down again slightly to 69xx, before going back up again to 7066, before going back down again to 6951.

Its great downloading at about 4.50 MB/s :D

It amazing to see your download speed jumping so many megabytes each time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, just goes up and up, started my pre-load of The Evil Within on Friday, did 31GB is 1h 55m, would have took an absolute age if i was still on my 6mb :D

Just had another change to my upload, now 7173 :p
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Im thinking of switching to their Fibre, as its only £10 a month for the first 6 months, which will be £24 off what im paying now, then after that, ill only be paying an extra £5.45 a month on top of what im paying now, which isn't to bad, as ill be going from 6mb to around 30/40mb.

I just did. My new router/hub thing is sitting in its box waiting for the fibre activation on Monday. I can't wait.

I personally can't fault Sky, maybe a bit pricey if you get tv too from them but there isn't a lot of choice in Aberdeen as there is no cable tv sadly.

EDIT

Did you guys who got fibre have to make any wifi setting changes or is it just a matter of using the login supplied with the hub?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I think it's terrible, it's slow and when I called to get it fixed they took 20minutes to answer, then took 30minutes to figure out the problem. Then the woman put me through to the technical department who automatically hung up when I got off the waiting line. Could have screamed so much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got a letter today from Sky, line rentals going up £1, and their call charges are also going up (which doesn't bother me as no phone in, its just my BB line ), with no BB price changes, from the 1st of December, so ill be paying 10p more a week than i was paying on BT, before their increase, and when their increase comes in for line rental on the 1st December also, ill be paying 60p less a month, as Skys will be £16.40, where BTs will be £16.99.
  • BeetlecrusherBeetlecrusher Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    My experience with Sky broadband is mixed. I took out a package nearly 6 years ago for TV, calls and broadband. The BB was slower than dial up so I switched to O2 within the 30 days. I kept the calls package for 12 months before retuning to BT because of hidden extras. When O2 sold out to Sky, I looked for another provider but Sky tempted me back with BB for 12 months for £20. I have recently been without broadband for nearly a fortnight because of some problem at the exchange and I`m now finding that my line speed is dropping. Time to look elsewhere, methinks !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great thanks Sky I come over to you and line rental goes up. Wonderful Not. Oh well im saving on my bb though as I get that for free so it's swings and roundabouts as they say.
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great thanks Sky I come over to you and line rental goes up. Wonderful Not. Oh well im saving on my bb though as I get that for free so it's swings and roundabouts as they say.
    All the services sadly increase line rental , BT increases in December like Sky I'm pretty sure VM will also announce an increase at some stage in the new year.
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky are ok for BB but nothing special. Its not the fastest in the world and they seem to have periods where it gets congested and this can impact on internet usage. However when I have had issues they got open reach out in less than 24hr and seem to be ok on customer service.

Nothing special but I would not say avoid at all costs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far so good for me. Got a steady speed at 6meg yes I know not exactly fast but it's the best I have had. Very happy so far lets hope it stays that way lol.
  • Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been with them since 2007 and I've no complaints. Speed is 15mbps. Speed is constant 24/7, no congestion, no slowdowns in the evenings. No traffic shaping and no throttling. Best service I've ever had.
    I think it's terrible, it's slow and when I called to get it fixed they took 20minutes to answer, then took 30minutes to figure out the problem. Then the woman put me through to the technical department who automatically hung up when I got off the waiting line. Could have screamed so much.

I had a half hour+ wait trying to get through to Post Office broadband on behalf of my mothers line recently. Had to repeat it 3 times before I finally got them to send out an Openreach engineer to fix a fault on the line and get the router working again. I don't think Sky have a monopoly on this.
  • Richard_Noble1Richard_Noble1 Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Sky expect you to unscrew bt equipment from your wall socket too , took them 3 weeks to fix my phone line no compensation