Options

Prisoner Cell Block H

Comments

• Options
    PaulRobinsonFanPaulRobinsonFan Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neighbours Susan Kennedy use to be in prison called Chook!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY55Z2PM9_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDGssFaXojQ&feature=relmfu

from 6.60
  • Options
    JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    It's Danielle Cormack.

As a massive Prisoner fan, I'm giving this a chance no matter what, but I'll be honest, I'm a little worried that they're going to change too much and not so sure the casting here will be anywhere near close to right. Time will tell.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/prisoner-reboot-aiming-for-a-captive-audience-20121003-26zs5.html
  • Options
    James_MonnellyJames_Monnelly Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does take me back in 1996 watching it in the Carlton region, then they moved it to 4am so I had to set my video each night to record it, those were the days! Like Wikipedia mentions, the continuity announcer for Carlton had a lot of fun with it.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they should have taken the Dallas lead and let the old characters interact with the new I think they have made a big mistake going for the total new.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really not sure what to think of this reboot/reimagining or whatever you want to call it. I don't like the thought of iconic characters like Bea Smith being tampered with, and I've read that Jim Fletcher is to be in it. How so as he certainly wasn't there when Bea was initially brought in? Seems they're going to mix up the order of events and appearances-not sure that will sit well with us die hard Blockies! :D
  • Options
    oranges71oranges71 Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Danielle Cormack is just not butch enough to play Bea. She looks too pretty, with botoxed lips. And why the hell are they calling the new prison guard 'Matthew ''Fletch'' Fletcher'. He can't be connected to Jim Fletcher?

I hope they aren't casting people for their looks, something PCBH didn't do.

PCBH had a unique look and feel to it, something that will never be replicated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    it still sounds a bit wishy-washy to me. Was Bea Smith's character really that interesting, enough to warrant a series?

Still don't understand the need to rely on old character names, when it would have been less of a distraction just to have a new series with new characters.

For all it's faults, the original had some great stories (as well as some atrocious stories) with well rounded characters and great cliffhangers - if they can recreate that then all might be forgiven but I somehow doubt that they will be able to these days.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oranges71 wrote: »
    This Danielle Cormack is just not butch enough to play Bea. She looks too pretty, with botoxed lips. And why the hell are they calling the new prison guard 'Matthew ''Fletch'' Fletcher'. He can't be connected to Jim Fletcher?

I hope they aren't casting people for their looks, something PCBH didn't do.

PCBH had a unique look and feel to it, something that will never be replicated.

They have two issues here it's 2010's not 1980's there is a different audience to cater for, do they stick with the traditional fans and what they see as the image of the show or do they aim it at the current generation who are a totally different generation to the traditional fans in so many ways.

The world has moved on it would be very difficult to still show the traditional denim, steam press lonely world that Wentworth was prisoners now have access to more things than some free people they will have to modernise it somehow.

Which is why I said following the Dallas revamp formula would have been ideal.
  • Options
    oranges71oranges71 Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Channle 5 are going to buy the series. They seem the most likely channel in the UK to show it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oranges71 wrote: »

Jim Fletcher's name was Matthew James Fletcher-this was revealed in a court scene early on.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im onto where that Edmunds has hypnotised them now, got Meg acting like Joan, gave Reb a helluva slap across the face :D, got Phyllis thinking her bones are broken, so everytime anyone touches her, she grabs her arms and screams like a banshee, and hes told Cass Bobbies not her friend, and so shes to kill her, which she tried to do, but got Pixie instead (don't know if shes dead yet though, will find out in the next episode) :eek:

I know ive seen that Edmunds before as well, just can't think where, im sure ive seen him in somthing else.
  • Options
    MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    I was never sure which was Nicholson's real accent.

I've seen clips on YouTube of her pre-Prisoner appearances in Bluey (70's cop show) and post-prisoner appearances in Neighbours and her accent in both seems to replicate the harsher twang of Officer Roberts, more than that of Ann Reynolds.

The Mrs Roberts accent is definitely not genuine. In reality no real Australian would ever pronounce Wentworth as 'Wintwuth' as Roberts did. It is way too exagerated.

The relaxed Mrs Reynolds accent sounds much more natural and genuine.

Gerda's 'Bluey' accent is more Roberts than Reynolds. As a seasoned theatre performer she'd be used to doing 'dialects'.
  • Options
    MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    One of the great Prisoner plot holes: Randi's body is never found or mentioned again on screen, so presumably it was rotting there for the rest of the series!

Seems pretty likely that when they learned Bridges was killing the prisoners they searched the entire place and retrieved the bodies of all missing prisoners. They knew Randi was gone, so would have searched for her. There's really no reason that that little detail needs to be explicitly explained on screen after the story was over. Bridges probably had a funeral too, and that wasn't shown. There would have been inquests into all the 4 deaths. That wasn't shown either. There's no dramatic reason why these little things needs to shown, mentioned, or explained.
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    They have two issues here it's 2010's not 1980's there is a different audience to cater for, do they stick with the traditional fans and what they see as the image of the show or do they aim it at the current generation who are a totally different generation to the traditional fans in so many ways.

The world has moved on it would be very difficult to still show the traditional denim, steam press lonely world that Wentworth was prisoners now have access to more things than some free people they will have to modernise it somehow.

Which is why I said following the Dallas revamp formula would have been ideal.

The new series is going to be a flop. for long term fans other actresses playing classic characters will not cut the mustard.

They should of done a Dallas - Returning classic characters played by the original actresses inter spliced with new characters - a continuation as such rather than a reboot.

Also why could they not have used Nunawading studios as the exterior as with the old series?
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    The new series is going to be a flop. for long term fans other actresses playing classic characters will not cut the mustard.

They should of done a Dallas - Returning classic characters played by the original actresses inter spliced with new characters - a continuation as such rather than a reboot.

Also why could they not have used Nunawading studios as the exterior as with the old series?

Have to say that the new Dallas has been surprisingly good, much against my initial expectations. I don't have the same confidence with PCBH if it is making some kind of return, as a huge cult fan of the original. Maggie Kirkpatrick is and was a gem! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Maybe they should have taken the Dallas lead and let the old characters interact with the new I think they have made a big mistake going for the total new.

Especially when former stars such as Val Lehman were desperate to be part of the new show.

We could have seen the Freak played by Maggie Kirkpatrick and what happened to her when she was taken away.,

Instead we are being offered a fresh reboot with old characters played by new people, no actors from the original series will be in the new series and to be honest that sucks!

I would have much preferred a continuation - "5 or 10 years later" type scenario.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Have to say that the new Dallas has been surprisingly good, much against my initial expectations. I don't have the same confidence with PCBH if it is making some kind of return, as a huge cult fan of the original. Maggie Kirkpatrick is and was a gem! :)

Reason being? Well my answer to that is due to the Producer seeing sense, rather than opting for a "reboot" or "re-imagining" which seems to be the trend nowadays (and usually a flop) they decided to bring back the well loved classics from the original with new characters.

This in my opinion is the only way a new series can work, that way you appeal to long term viewers as well as new ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We could have seen the Freak played by Maggie Kirkpatrick and what happened to her when she was taken away.,
    Now this would have been a fantastic idea. I've often wondered how it turned out for dear old Ferguson out west in jail, or was it out east? So many great possibilities there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Now this would have been a fantastic idea. I've often wondered how it turned out for dear old Ferguson out west in jail, or was it out east? So many great possibilities there.

Yes, was she acquitted or did she go on to become a Top Dog figure? Who knows and the new series is a wasted opportunity.

If Freemantle wanted to do a new Prison series by all means but not when it potentially (is likely to) tarnishes the gem that was PCBH 1979-1986,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, was she acquitted or did she go on to become a Top Dog figure? Who knows and the new series is a wasted opportunity.

If Freemantle wanted to do a new Prison series by all means but not when it potentially (is likely to) tarnishes the gem that was PCBH 1979-1986,

I have just found out about this new update on PCBH, but if it has absolutely no characters from the original show, then it's not PCBH, whatever they say or call it, or pretend it is. It is just another new serial, and I'd be unlikely to watch it in that case. It would have been the same with Dallas, but with Hagman, Gray, Duffy and even Charlene Tilton, and a couple of others I just had to give it a glance and was immediately caught with it again.
  • Options
    robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wentworth is a re-imagination so even though the characters in it share names with Prisoner ones and may have some similarities..it means they don't have to be anything like them
    Basically it is a new prison show trying to steal PCBH fans with tedious links to it
    I am not saying it won't be good though - just the PCBH link doesn't impress me
    either make it follow on or do it completely new IMO
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am open minded about the remake. Will judge it once its on screen but I really feel it should have been done similar to Dallas.

All they needed was a few of the old characters back and it would have worked. I am sure the likes of Amanda Muggleton would have appeared.

I think because its a new version with old characters altered for 2012 many fans will resent it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awww, Fletch the Letch's last episode was the last one I watched! :(

But that evil Jock Stewart's going to get his comeuppance at last! :D
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm gonna hurt ya Bryant. I'm gonna hurt ya reeeeeel bad!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    I'm gonna hurt ya Bryant. I'm gonna hurt ya reeeeeel bad!

Jock – You don’t seem to realise Bryant, I’ve got nothing to lose, before I went into Pentridge I had everything, a car, plenty of money, good clothes. Now i've got nothing.
    Judy – What did you expect me to do, keepworking in that lousy massage parlour just to line your pockets?
    Jock – Why not? Better than rotting in a cell isn't it?
    Judy – Yeah? Don’t bet on it.
    Jock – The trouble with you Bryant is, you have too many Victorian morals, and a dyke like you can’t afford to have any
    Judy – I’m surprised you’d even know what they are!
    Jock – I find they get in my way.another one of your troubles Bryant is, you make too many mistakes. Now getting that Meg Morris here, that was a real bad move,know what I mean!