Foxsat HDR - Hard Drive upgrade plus hidden menu

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the total newbie question, but how do I get Luxe?

Do I do a Manual Tune to get the extra (non-freesat) channels?

And then what happens? Do they appear in the EPG? And if not how do I watch them?

Sorry of the idiot questions but I am new to all this stuff.

Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Chippy99 wrote: »
    Sorry for the total newbie question, but how do I get Luxe?

Do I do a Manual Tune to get the extra (non-freesat) channels?

And then what happens? Do they appear in the EPG? And if not how do I watch them?

Sorry of the idiot questions but I am new to all this stuff.

Thanks

Do a manual tune, choose non freesat mode to view them.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chippy99 wrote: »
    No EPG is availiable with non freesat channels unfortunately, only now and next.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do a manual tune, choose non freesat mode to view them.

So does this leave my existing channel numbers etc intact?

I hear that I will lose my scheduled recordings also - do you know if this is so?

I have it working all pretty well and don't want to mess it up!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    When you say you tried both channels, you mean you tried BBC HD in Freesat and non Freesat mode? It seems odd that it worked for Blotch but not in your case.:confused:

definately worked for me last night, I can stream HD from USB drive to TV via PS3 - awsome picture :D I know it involved quite a few button presses to do it (folder view-copy).
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    When you say you tried both channels, you mean you tried BBC HD in Freesat and non Freesat mode? It seems odd that it worked for Blotch but not in your case.:confused:

No the BBC HD channel appears twice in non freesat mode one with a ID of BBC HD and the other 6945. Only reasons that I can think of Blotch did not record an HD channel (It does not specifically say in the OP which channel) or that he might be one of the one cablers that have not got the latest firmware
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Blotch wrote: »
    definately worked for me last night, I can stream HD from USB drive to TV via PS3 - awsome picture :D I know it involved quite a few button presses to do it (folder view-copy).

Have you updated to the latest firmware? Maybe that's the difference? I am on the latest and can confirm that BBC HD in non-freesat mode seems exactly the same as freesat mode :-(
    Forum Member
    Have you updated to the latest firmware? Maybe that's the difference? I am on the latest and can confirm that BBC HD in non-freesat mode seems exactly the same as freesat mode :-(

Yes I have the latest firmware. If you manual record BBC HD in non-freesat mode (I did a 2 mins as a test). Then go into media, you will see the recording, but with copy button greyed out. I then selected Opt+, went into folder view and copied across to USB drive from there. The recording is full HD and the PS3 can bothe see and play it.
    Forum Member
    ok I just did the same test as last night - and this time it failed, the 'Enc' flag is now showing in the media list! So this must mean that the 'Enc' flag isn't on all the time as last nights recording does not show the 'Enc' flag and still allows me to copy :confused:
    Forum Member
    Yes I have the latest firmware. If you manual record BBC HD in non-freesat mode (I did a 2 mins as a test). Then go into media, you will see the recording, but with copy button greyed out. I then selected Opt+, went into folder view and copied across to USB drive from there. The recording is full HD and the PS3 can bothe see and play it.

I am baffled by this. Just been downstairs to try again. Recorded 2 mins or so of the BBC HD preview loop in non-freesat mode and it still appears in media with the "Enc" symbol and with the "x" icon indicating it cannot be copied. In folder view the copy button is always greyed out for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok I just did the same test as last night - and this time it failed, the 'Enc' flag is now showing in the media list! So this must mean that the 'Enc' flag isn't on all the time as last nights recording does not show the 'Enc' flag and still allows me to copy :confused:

The BBC are currently testing the ability to only turn on encryption for specific programmes, sounds as if you got lucky and you would have had the same result if you had gone for the Freesat option. It's a shame ain't it. :(
    Forum Member

Ah, perhaps thats the case. Though I thought the BBC had the copy protect flag set to always on.
    Forum Member
    :(yes this is annoying, as you say I got lucky last night with no encryption (it was about 00:30am this morning)......just when I had vision of archiving some HD to PS3 USB drive
  • mwardymwardy Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did today's failure involve switching to non-freesat and starting recording? I have a feeling it might work if you switch to non-freesat, wait a while (say 10 mins) and try again...
    Forum Member
    mwardy wrote: »
    Did today's failure involve switching to non-freesat and starting recording? I have a feeling it might work if you switch to non-freesat, wait a while (say 10 mins) and try again...

ok I haven't given up testing yet! I just tried as you suggested above and it failed again - the 'Enc' tag was visible in media. :(

Update: Well, I've tried another approach - go into non-freesat mode then put machine into standby. Wait a minute then power on. Wait for it - it worked, I recorded 4 mins of BBC HD on channel 5102 and no 'Enc' tab visible and I can copy :D I think what happened last night is that I switched the machine on and went immediately to non-freesat mode. But this way (standby then wake up) works best. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok I haven't given up testing yet! I just tried as you suggested above and it failed again - the 'Enc' tag was visible in media. :(

Update: Well, I've tried another approach - go into non-freesat mode then put machine into standby. Wait a minute then power on. Wait for it - it worked, I recorded 4 mins of BBC HD on channel 5102 and no 'Enc' tab visible and I can copy :D I think what happened last night is that I switched the machine on and went immediately to non-freesat mode. But this way (standby then wake up) works best. :)

Brilliant deduction Sherlock, got to try this tommorow. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member

....... Closely followed by software update which promptly disables said 'feature'.......... component output all over again ?
    Forum Member
    I can't rule out possability I got lucky again (if poster above is correct ref BBC experimenting with tag on/off) - so I'll do more testing during the evening then report back.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update: Well, I've tried another approach - go into non-freesat mode then put machine into standby. Wait a minute then power on. Wait for it - it worked, I recorded 4 mins of BBC HD on channel 5102 and no 'Enc' tab visible and I can copy :D

That was going to be my next suggestion! Well found!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bendix wrote: »
    component output all over again ?

Have you tried this recently? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant deduction Sherlock, got to try this tommorow. :D

It works as you say. Now where can I find a universal remote with a timer and macros to start and end recording like you used to get for vcrs.
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the conclusion is it is possible to archive BBC HD afterall by going into non freesat mode? I like this lateral thinking.
    Are there any disadvantages with the approach?

I guess this looses the advantages of the EPG though to set recordings does it?

How does the programme appear in the recordings list - is it just like other recordings?

I don't have a machine by the way. For me recording BBC HD unencrypted and archiving is a must have before I buy one, because I can do that now with my current set up.
    So you've just brought back the possibility of me buying one of these
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the conclusion is it is possible to archive BBC HD afterall by going into non freesat mode? I like this lateral thinking.
    Are there any disadvantages with the approach?

I guess this looses the advantages of the EPG though to set recordings does it?

How does the programme appear in the recordings list - is it just like other recordings?

I don't have a machine by the way. For me recording BBC HD unencrypted and archiving is a must have before I buy one, because I can do that now with my current set up.
    So you've just brought back the possibility of me buying one of these

You currently can't set a timer to record in non freesat mode the only way is to be watching the channel and press record. (Hence the reason for looking for a macro programmeable remote with a timer). Once recorded the recording appears in the recorded programme list as any other but without the ENC mark that other HD recordings have. Hopefully a later firmware will at least give us a simple way of telling the box which channel to record, when and how long for, in non freesat mode.

Another disadvantage is that the box won't record anything set to record in Freesat mode whils't in fta mode
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You currently can't set a timer to record in non freesat mode the only way is to be watching the channel and press record. (Hence the reason for looking for a macro programmeable remote with a timer). Once recorded the recording appears in the recorded programme list as any other but without the ENC mark that other HD recordings have. Hopefully a later firmware will at least give us a simple way of telling the box which channel to record, when and how long for, in non freesat mode.

Another disadvantage is that the box won't record anything set to record in Freesat mode whils't in fta mode

thanks for the reply
    No timed recordings in nonfreesat mode is quite a disadvantage.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is another pretty big disadvantage. How many manual recordings can you have running in non freesat mode?