Options

Where to stay in Paris...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
Forum Member
✭✭
My Fiance is 40 and I've bought him some things, but want to surprise him with a couple of nights in Paris. Its got to be relatively cheap (hotel and flights) he can pay when we're there!! Anyone got any ideas or tips?

Had a look on Expedia and found some nice looking hotels, but no real idea how close to the centre of Paris

Comments

• Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paris has a shit hot metro system so getting into the centre is pretty easy...

e2a: trying to remember where i stayed last....
  • Options
    UltrasonicUltrasonic Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beanhead wrote: »
    Had a look on Expedia and found some nice looking hotels, but no real idea how close to the centre of Paris

There will usually be an accompanying map of the hotel's location on websites such as these.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, so it doesn't really matter where we stay then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, so it doesn't really matter where we stay then?

I'd say so. As the other FM said, the Metro system is very good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so far as getting around is concerned.

The hotels right in the centre are stupidly expensive, but there are pleny of nice ones a few train stops from the main 'strip'
  • Options
    LovetatsLovetats Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a very romantic trip staying here..

http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/france-eiffel.html?aid=314919;label=eiffel-tower-9bRtxU9PwDJwBjz8vjOBzAS1495708610;sid=f592a981bc86d02d90736e82e7c024c2#blockdisplay2

....he proposed at the top of the Eiffel Tower!

The hotel was small but lovely - very atmospheric and the Tower itself is just around the corner - as are a couple of metro stations, lovely restaurants and the Seine. We spent hours walking around, soaking up the atmosphere. Perfect!

Have a fantastic time, where ever you choose!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found this little http://www.idealhotel.fr/ beauty, looks lovely, sounds near the centre with a metro outside. It is £117.82 for two nights, what do you think?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovetats wrote: »

How original!!! How did he come up with that idea??:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovetats wrote: »
    We had a very romantic trip staying here..

http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/france-eiffel.html?aid=314919;label=eiffel-tower-9bRtxU9PwDJwBjz8vjOBzAS1495708610;sid=f592a981bc86d02d90736e82e7c024c2#blockdisplay2

The hotel was small but lovely - very atmospheric and the Tower itself is just around the corner - as are a couple of metro stations, lovely restaurants and the Seine. We spent hours walking around, soaking up the atmosphere. Perfect!

Have a fantastic time, where ever you choose!

Wow, how romantic, mine said "You've ruined it, you've found the ring haven't you" As he had left it next to the kettle by accident before we were going out for dinner, where i guess he was going to propose with violins and everything!!

That hotel looks lovely, and to think we could be round the corner from the Tower, wow
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ultrasonic wrote: »
    How original!!! How did he come up with that idea??:D

I told him to, of course - silly! :p
  • Options
    matilda49matilda49 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    We also stayed at the France Eiffel in May last year. It is nice and restaurants not far away.

However one night we wanted to go to the champs elysees to eat. We caught a bus right outside the hotel and it took us directly in.

So we had a good sightsee as well

Very reasonable priced hotel.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Paris last weekend, and my advice would be not to bother as it is a total shitehole :D

But, if you insist on going make sure you take plenty of money because it is a very expensive city (a cup of coffee is around 4 euro!).

We stayed in La Defense and the hotel was very nice (but expensive)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, how romantic, mine said "You've ruined it, you've found the ring haven't you" As he had left it next to the kettle by accident before we were going out for dinner, where i guess he was going to propose with violins and everything!!

That hotel looks lovely, and to think we could be round the corner from the Tower, wow

I was excited for that too :);).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    matilda49 wrote: »
    We also stayed at the France Eiffel in May last year. It is nice and restaurants not far away.

However one night we wanted to go to the champs elysees to eat. We caught a bus right outside the hotel and it took us directly in.

So we had a good sightsee as well

Very reasonable priced hotel.

Glad you liked it too - we thought it was a good deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basically up and down the seine is the main attractions: from notre dame and the gardens at the bottom, up past the louvre and so on until the eiffel tower at the top, the riverboats are a really cheap and easy way to navigate this bit and the metro happily connects you to the rest of the city :)
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We stayed in a hotel in St Georges

Cheap as chips (went with some backpacking aussie cousins)

check out the area pretty close to Montmartre etc - nice!

It's on the green line so pretty good for everything.

Metro is good there!

details

Hotel France Albion
    11, rue Notre Dame de Lorette 75009 Paris p. +33 (0)1 45 26 00 81

I would stay there again - and I'm quite picky (this is by far from a poshy hotel tho FYI!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comedyfish wrote: »
    check out the area pretty close to Montmartre etc - nice!

It's on the green line so pretty good for everything.

Metro is good there!

Actually... I liked the Montmartre area. :D

But the green line was closed down when I was there.

As was the blue...

and some of the yellow...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Actually... I liked the Montmartre area. :D

that looks like a dirty grin :eek: :D

it's close to pigalle as well - for the sexy time (and moulin rouge!)
  • Options
    MollieMMollieM Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    The Marais, Montmartre (good views), the Left Bank, Ile St Louis/Notre Dame are all great central areas for a first trip. It depends if you want to be located right in the action or somewhere quieter from where you can access the sites? If you want to be somewhere quieter the area near the Rodin Museum/Varenne is beautiful but less overwhelming.

Further out and a bit less expensive (but very accessible on the metro) Montparnasse or Canal St Martin are options.

I wouldn't go anywhere now without checking a review site like Tripadvisor UK - the two hotels suggested on here are on there. There are well over a thousand hotels in Paris listed in order of reviews (best obviously first) and you can search by area or price.

Have a lovely time!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MollieM wrote: »
    The Marais, Montmartre (good views), the Left Bank, Ile St Louis/Notre Dame are all great central areas for a first trip. It depends if you want to be located right in the action or somewhere quieter from where you can access the sites? If you want to be somewhere quieter the area near the Rodin Museum/Varenne is beautiful but less overwhelming.

Further out and a bit less expensive (but very accessible on the metro) Montparnasse or Canal St Martin are options.

I wouldn't go anywhere now without checking a review site like Tripadvisor UK - the two hotels suggested on here are on there. There are well over a thousand hotels in Paris listed in order of reviews (best obviously first) and you can search by area or price.

Have a lovely time!
    mollyM?

do we know you? :D
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Our hotel was there, we were bang in the middle of it. I was like :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The sexodrome did amuse me somewhat.

As did all the "redlight" shops with their posters that were obviously made up in the 80's (lots of big hair perms!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    Our hotel was there, we were bang in the middle of it. I was like :eek:

the 1st time you stayed there or the 5th?

:D
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    mollyM?

do we know you? :D

The spelling is too good...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    Just don't go to the formula 1! I remember having a half hour long argument with some french guy about not having change for the vending machine. I don't even speak french very well, so have no idea how I eventually got him to bugger off and leave us alone!