Sack Jonathon Ross and Russell Brand Petition Thread

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cent wrote: »
    I know it ridiculious!

Its all this political correctness crap - you cant even tell a joke on the radio now without some nutcase phoning Ofcom.

Although in the call,it was suggested andrew sachs being of a certain age would have a picture of his family by the phone,and it being suggested ,no actually said, that his grandaughter was on the swing according to andrew sachs picture,then it was said he(*andrew sachs) did not know that he (russell brand) had enjoyed her. Some prank eh.

Nothing to do with being pc,more about being crude,which is whare mr ross and mr brand come in.

If he had made crude comments about his band (three poofs and a piano) he would have gone by now.

But i would not sack him or russell brand i just hope a lesson has been learned.
  • Options
    thecreepingmessthecreepingmess Posts: 3,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Phazer wrote: »
    Well said. This whole thing is ludicrous.

Phazer

I share this opinion.

This is a great time to invest in Pitchforks R Us.
    If he had made crude comments about his band (three poofs and a piano) he would have gone by now.

He makes crude comments about Four Poofs And A Piano every week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I have heard the recording of the show and yes they do need sacking. ask yourself if you would want these two cretins ring someone dear to you answerphone and leaving messages like they left on 78 year old Andrew sachs.

Andrew had done nothing to deserve this kind of treatment. it all comes of being over paid and believing your untouchable

Mickey S wrote: »
    So you're demanding that they are sacked while admitting that you haven't actually heard the evidence?

That just about sums up this forum.
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Ross & Bland did was out of order with Andrew Sachs right to complain but my main concern is the BBC's top brass.
    What if Mr Sachs did not complain?

Jonathan Ross is very talented but can tend to overstep the mark but how far does the BBC go?.
  • Options
    Bob22ABob22A Posts: 6,830
    Forum Member
    I know it ridiculious!

Its all this political correctness crap - you cant even tell a joke on the radio now without some nutcase phoning Ofcom.

Now how comes it comes as no suprise that BBC supporters back this pair of morons.

Quote"Ross and fellow presenter Russell Brand left a string of sexually offensive answerphone messages for the 78-year-old Fawlty Towers star, broadcast to two million listeners on Brand's Radio 2 Saturday night show.

They claimed that Brand had slept with Mr Sachs' 23-year-old granddaughter, Georgina Baillie, an aspiring model, and joked that the actor might kill himself upon hearing the news.

Brand told listeners: "The elephant in the room is, what Andrew doesn't know is, I've slept with his granddaughter." During the first of several calls, Ross blurted out: "He ****ed your granddaughter!" They phoned back and left another message, this time with Brand singing: "I said some things I didn't of oughta, like I had sex with your granddaughter."

So you regard that its acceptable for this pair to beahaved in this manner and that the BBC behaved in an acceptable manner?

So if you had a daughter you would be hapy for this fowel mouthed pair to leve disgusting voice mail messages on your phone?
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JR has kids who maybe to young to listen to what was said, so he should know better in making a sick joke like that:confused:
  • Options
    grabbigrabbi Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    Steve_P wrote: »
    Chris Moyles, seeing as you mention him, is another in the same vein as Wossy and Brand.

These people should not be let loose on the airwaves, and the incident in question was appalling. Brand is not a comedian, he is a child who is given lots of money by the BBC to do what the hell he wants. Wossy is little better, and he did apologise early on but still carried on with these calls.

The problem is that many other DJ's on smaller stations will do the same thing, because they now think it's OK. It ISN'T. The BBC/Ofcom/whoever must treat these two with the punishment they deserve.

Sack them now. There are plenty good broadcasters out there who will fill their shoes.

Anybody who finds this, or them, funny is just as bad.

Cheers,

Steve P.

No one is forcing you to listen. you might have to put up with people discussing it on Message Boards and News Reports on it, but hey! Dont be so mard.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prison's too good for them!

Bring back the birch I say, the BBCs Director General can do it in the leafy bit outside BBC TV Centre.

You know that bit in Starship Troupers when Rico is given punishment? Just like that...but worse! Then we can win the war against the bug!

Do you want to know more?

Ross and Brand might attempt to go on the run while chained together, just like in that Tony Curtis film, you know the one.

All sweaty and greased up, chased across the windswept moors at midnight, a bloodthirsty hound called Eric on their trail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GH Online wrote: »
    Well the press' account of what happened seems pretty clear-cut to me.

Wow, really?

The same Press that usually make stuff up about afore mentioned Brand to sell their tastelessly fictional Papers?

Its being blown out of proportion because its the BBC. Thats it.

Why dont you all get off your high horses?
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although in the call,it was suggested andrew sachs being of a certain age would have a picture of his family by the phone,and it being suggested ,no actually said, that his grandaughter was on the swing according to andrew sachs picture,then it was said he(*andrew sachs) did not know that he (russell brand) had enjoyed her. Some prank eh.
    Both of those comments you picked out were not left on his answerphone, so you cant use that to make any suggestions about the nature of the call.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GH Online wrote: »
    Oh, and as for Brand and Ross' actions, I'll sign this petition as both should go. Whilst I've only read the papers' account of what happened to go on, it's disgraceful that a senior producer allowed their prank to go out on air.

Fire Ross and Brand!?

You MUST be an idiot.

Bad publicity or not, these two are probably the most famous people in the Country right now. To get rid of them would cost so much money in Compensation (and lets not forget who pays for that compo fellow TV Licence payers) and hurt the BBC because they are two of the most sought-after TV personalities.

Im sure the Beeb will let them go to ITV, and get killed in the ratings some more.

You havent thought this through, have you??

Look at the big picture, instead of the hot-headedness of your own. That goes for every critic and 'petition signer' in here... THINK about the whole situation.

Even if there were 1m signers, they wouldnt get rid of them! THEY ARE WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN GOLD!!!
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob22A wrote: »
    Now how comes it comes as no suprise that BBC supporters back this pair of morons.

Quote"Ross and fellow presenter Russell Brand left a string of sexually offensive answerphone messages for the 78-year-old Fawlty Towers star, broadcast to two million listeners on Brand's Radio 2 Saturday night show.

They claimed that Brand had slept with Mr Sachs' 23-year-old granddaughter, Georgina Baillie, an aspiring model, and joked that the actor might kill himself upon hearing the news.

Brand told listeners: "The elephant in the room is, what Andrew doesn't know is, I've slept with his granddaughter." During the first of several calls, Ross blurted out: "He ****ed your granddaughter!" They phoned back and left another message, this time with Brand singing: "I said some things I didn't of oughta, like I had sex with your granddaughter."

So you regard that its acceptable for this pair to beahaved in this manner and that the BBC behaved in an acceptable manner?

So if you had a daughter you would be hapy for this fowel mouthed pair to leve disgusting voice mail messages on your phone?
    If they had left those calls on my answerphone I'd be in hysterics.

And the joke about him killing himself was not included in any of the phone calls, it was one throwaway line in the studio that was funny because it was so ridiculious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bob22A wrote: »

Im laughing as I type this, because this is sheer genius! Comical Genius! These guys deserve an award for this material! its fantastic!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    One of the things I do is train new broadcasters in the community sector. They sometimes go on.

I am not against humour as long as it's funny and I'm sorry but this wasn't.

Chris Moyles and these two do more harm than good as young broadcasters come out with things like 'I've heard so and so say such and such so it must be right.'

For the future of the industry, this must be stamped on and now.

Cheers,

Steve P.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know the other guy but Wossy reminds me of Chris Evans a few years ago when his success went to his head and he went a bit doolally.

JR you are not as funny or as talented as you think you are.

I'd like for you to be off our screen and our radio for a while until you grow up.

I really hope the Beeb take him down a peg or two.

p.s. People who find these two's comments funny must be sick in the head.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    :eek::eek: A substantial reduction in their salaries would deflate their ego's. Although I don't like either, lots of people find them entertaing, so it would not benefit the Beeb to sack them. If you find them offensive swith off.
  • Options
    well2dowell2do Posts: 3,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not even the thought of a signature from me until the incident has been thoroughly investigated and all parties have spoken, I'm not of the Mail driven lynch mob mentality shown by many here :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Norbert5Norbert5 Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnneM wrote: »
    :eek::eek: A substantial reduction in their salaries would deflate their ego's. Although I don't like either, lots of people find them entertaing, so it would not benefit the Beeb to sack them. If you find them offensive swith off.

Switch off or watch Al Murray instead 75 times more talent AND entertaining AND funny.
  • Options
    firstslipfirstslip Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always found Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand extremely funny,and although they are also utterly self-obssessed and occasionally infuriating, I have never been offended or put off by their humour or work in any way.

I had no opinion on this story at all but today decided to listen on YouTube to see what all the fuss was about. Having done so, I have to say that I have quite a problem with it.

The whole situation was intrusive, invasive, insulting, vulgar and incredibly childish, rendering it totally and utterly unfunny. Having laughed till my sides split at just about everything these guys have done in the past, I just found myself feeling very very sorry for them here, at the complete arrogant idiocy of what they were doing.

This is why the whole situation leaves a very very bad taste indeed:

1) When speaking into an answerphone you are essentially entering someone's home and should behave with appropriate respect . Ross and Brand grossly violated that. This is what makes it different to an ordinary "prank". This all essentially happened in someone's private house without their consent.
    2) This violation of privacy (without the awareness or consent of the target) was happily shared with 2 million listeners.
    2) Crude sexual references of any kind to a 78 year old man about his granddaughter are deeply insulting.
    3) At no stage did JR and RB seriously realise or consider that they should actually stop what they were doing.
    4) And worst of all - this show was pre-recorded. The BBC could easily have pulled it and did not. Did no-one think there might be an issue with this show?

No, I do not believe that either of them should be sacked, but I should hope they regret (for the right reasons) what they did. I also think the people at the BBC who sanctioned the broadcast should severely question their motives and actions.

I hope that I will be able to enjoy much more irreverent, un PC, sharp-witted and innovative humour from Brand and Ross.

This was not an example of it.
  • Options
    Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,497
    Forum Member
    bingoman wrote: »
    The Russell Brand show is recorded i think, which bosses at the BBC have to listen to before putting out on air, so someone made a huge mistake by approve this for airtime:confused:
    The people at the bbc who agreed to it ie,the editorial staff should be.

I'm pretty sure that it isn't a BBC production, if so, most of the blame should rest with that production company
    Although mr ross getting many millions of pounds out of us via the beeb,should for that kind of money have shown better judgement.

Yes, but then it does seem like something that got out of hand - it semed a good idea at the time but looking at the transcript they regretted it afterwards.

However the job of a producer is to rein in the talent and stop this sot of thing happening
  • Options
    anon-y-mouseanon-y-mouse Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have yet to heard or seen anything to commend either one of them. If they disappeared tomorrow it would not impact on my life one bit
  • Options
    zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Anyone heard what Andrew Sachs has to say about the whole thing?
  • Options
    Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,724
    Forum Member
    I'd sack Russell Brand because he's a t**t, regardless of that radio show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody who wants them fired should be kicked out of the country and sent to North Korea or something like that where they worship censorship.
  • Options
    mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand are the two most talented people the BBC has, they are not going to get rid of them.

If you read the actual transcript, rather than the Daily Mail's version, its actually a very different conversation from the one the Daily Mail would like you to believe occurred.

I'm sure the BBC won't sack them, they always back their 'stars'. But having listened to what they said on the show, and left on Mr Sachs answering machine, (and I haven't seen the Daily Mail report) I'm very glad I don't buy a tv licence, 'cos if my money was helping t pay the salaries of those two twits I'd really be upset!