Options

Torn over our Cat. :(

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
Forum Member
Hi all, haven't posted in here in a while as I've had a lot on, but I'm completely torn over what to do at the minute over our gorgeous little furry friend. :(

When we first got her, my partner was working and we were perfectly fine for money. Not long after we got her, his company laid him and a ton of others off, and I got a bad illness which these days leaves me housebound 99% of the time. So we are on benefits only still nearly a year later as I'm too ill to work and have a 3 year old as well to look after as well as our little kitty and my partner cannot work as I need him to look after and help me, he is my carer as well as my fiance these days.

It's got to the point now where if something happened to her, I could not afford to take her to the vet as I know it would go into the 100s and we're only just managing to keep everything going in the house i.e food for all of us [including cat] and other essentials. We don't have Sky, we don't buy games or anything we trade in others for new ones, we're with the cheapest net we could find [as we need the net for grocery shopping seeing as I can't leave the house and we don't drive or anything], we are well and truly saving as much as we can, but I think if our money situation doesn't get any better and I can't see it getting any better due to the economy, I don't think I'll be able to buy her food anymore. And it's bad enough knowing that I won't be able to take her to the vet if she for example get her leg broken or something. I feel like a bad owner, and I can't be as when my partner was working we bought her everything, got her injections and had money put away in the event of her needing to go to the vets.

I guess all I'm asking really is what should I do? Should I pass her on to a center where I know they will give her to a good home with people who are lucky enough to have their jobs still? I really can't bear getting rid of her but I'd do it if it meant she could have everything, oh god even typing it it makes me so sad. We don't even have any friends or relatives who could look after her for a while, I don't know what to do. Even the thought of her not being here is so upsetting, she's not just a pet she's also our friend. I'm so upset and I know in a way, that if she went to someone who could look after her better its the best thing but I can't bear her not being here, like I said, she's my friend as well as a pet and I love her. :cry:

Also, any trolls please don't post here, I want genuine advice rather then "u sudnt hav got her if u cnt aford her lol" and all that crap, this is really hard for me and my fiance. We've been completely torn for over 2 weeks about it now.

Comments

• Options
    michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might be able to register your cat with the PDSA assuming you get any housing, or council tax benefit?
    Try here to see if there's a Petaid hospital or practice in your area and to check if you're eligible.

All they ask for when they treat your pet is a donation, just whatever you can afford.

There's the Blue Cross too although I think they only have a hospital in the London area... I may be wrong though. Here's their site anyway just in case they can help you. Blue Cross

I really hope you can get help from one of them and hopefully that will ease at least some of your worries. If neither have a practice in your area it's still worth contacting them to see if there's any other help available where you live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    You sound like a very caring and responsible pet owner. If you are on benefits arent there some sort of RSPCA funded vets in your area where you are able to get assistance if your cat should be taken ill.
    Cat food in itself isnt very expensive so if its just the potential costs of vet bills then I think you ought to find out if this is available to you. Much better for you to keep your cat as Im sure the rescue homes are at full capacity (as usual).
    My cats are part of our family and I as long as I could keep them warm and happy and fed then there is no way I would consider giving them away. Be like giving a child away that I couldnt afford.

Please dont stress and do a google search on RSPCA type vet clinics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies. The only food I've EVER got her to be able to eat after going off Whiskas completely and trying loads of different types a couple of months back is this stuff I get from Zooplus which we can't buy here in the UK and they only sell it in bulk too it's like £30 a go every 2 or 3 weeks which I know doesn't sound like much but it is at the moment for us. I get housing benefit, DLA, income support and tax credits and we don't have to pay council tax because of that except some were paying back from when my man was working. Looking after a 3 year old at the moment is really expensive with clothes and all as well, and we don't have any help at all.

I'll have a look at the links provided and what not, thanks, I live in Sheffield and haven't done for long so I don't know what is here exactly regarding pet help.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd agree with the above posts. You can get help from PDSA, or RSPCA if you are not in a position to get medical help for your cat, but bear in mind that there's a high chance that you won't need vet treatment for several years.

We have a 14 yr old cat just now, who's only been to the vet 3 times in his life. They don't get sick very often.

It would take the weight off your shoulders if you knew that you could get assistance if you really needed it, so it would be worth looking into the charities which offer help.

I wouldn't give her up, because she loves you and you clearly love her. As long as she has somewhere warm to sleep and food/water, then you're caring for her just fine.

Try not to worry too much about it. Chances are you all will be back on your feet a bit before you ever have to even think about a vet bill.

As an afterthought, I'm not sure how you're fixed to get pet insurance. I don't think it's very expensive, but I could be wrong. It's another thing worth looking into.

Please don't feel bad. We've all been in a position where we struggle, but somehow we manage.

Xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look, don't stress about it at the moment. She's fine and healthy and everything is ok. Is there no scope for pet insurance? It can be as little as 5 quid a month. I know that's probably something you must have considered, I apologise if so.

Pet food, I'd baulk at paying 30 quid in a one-er for it too. Sometimes, the last place you think of looking for cat food is often surprisingly ok. I've used Lidl's cat food a few times and my cat got on fine with it and it did make his coat and condition fantastic. I don't live near one any more, so I can't use it. But I would if I could and it's so cheap - and to me, decent stuff. Aldi does cat food too which my cat gets sometimes too.

I know Iams is on some peoples' blacklist, but it's often on special offer and a bag for a single cat seems to last at least two weeks. I am on low income and mainly use Iams and I don't consider cat food to be prohibitively expensive - I also get sachets if they are on a deal. I guess I am lucky - my cat is a good eater :) . (I also have a kitten who only eats tiny amounts of kitten stuff at the moment which can be pricey though but for the purpose of this thread, I'll focus on the adult cat.)

As for the child's clothes, do you have any friends that ever clear their cupboards out? Every so often I get asked if I'd like a bag of cast-offs that are destined for the charity shop and I never refuse. There are so many brand new clothes given away as people buy them or get them as gifts and then they forget about them until it is too late and they've been outgrown. So I get decent clothes that way. Also, in all honesty, clothes in supermarkets and Matalan are just so cheap, it doesn't dent the wallet too much. So cut costs that way on clothing. Oh and use Charity shops if you don't already - honestly, there are totally breand new things in there for less than a quid an item normally.

Oherwise there has to be PDSA or similar in Sheffield or nearby - they'd surely help out if it came to it.

So keep your cat and try not to fret too much at this point :) .
  • Options
    WythrolWythrol Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not in the same position as UKYana, but I have recently taken on an older cat after my mother died. I am not a 'cat person' and had the local home actually been open on the day she would have been handed over into their care. As it worked out we were late, the home was closed for the day and I have now had here for 6 weeks. I suspect, and in some respects hope she can live out the rest of her days here.

I have never dealt with cats before. I think she is about 16 years old. How do you care for cats?

She follows me everywhere ... is that normal? She did not have a great life with my mother for reasons I will not go into, but i find she does follow me everywhere. I've put down cushions in front of radiators and have even put the heating up to try and make sure she if comfortable.

Food wise she eats anything, and wolfs it down, i suspect before she would go for days without food or water so takes advantage. Before I took her on she was very very aggressive. Since I took her on she is very very calm. But she sheds like an anemic sheep. Hair everywhere. Can I comb a cat? just to remove what seems like a very heavy coat?

Foodwise i have just being buying 'felix' type packets, foil packs, feeding 2 per day is that about right? I also add dry catfood.

My big question is litter. Whats good. I've tried the clay/clump i hate that. I've tried Catsan, its not bad. I tried local co-op grit, it works. I've now got a mix of grit and clay stuff. Which is the most efficient in suppressing smell, and which are easier that katpee klay to clean.

sorry, didnt realise I had so many questions

[edit] she also sneezes alot, since coming to live with me its calmed down, but still happens, and occasionally is bloody.
  • Options
    5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wythrol wrote: »
    I am not in the same position as UKYana, but I have recently taken on an older cat after my mother died. I am not a 'cat person' and had the local home actually been open on the day she would have been handed over into their care. As it worked out we were late, the home was closed for the day and I have now had here for 6 weeks. I suspect, and in some respects hope she can live out the rest of her days here.

I have never dealt with cats before. I think she is about 16 years old. How do you care for cats?

She follows me everywhere ... is that normal? She did not have a great life with my mother for reasons I will not go into, but i find she does follow me everywhere. I've put down cushions in front of radiators and have even put the heating up to try and make sure she if comfortable.

Food wise she eats anything, and wolfs it down, i suspect before she would go for days without food or water so takes advantage. Before I took her on she was very very aggressive. Since I took her on she is very very calm. But she sheds like an anemic sheep. Hair everywhere. Can I comb a cat? just to remove what seems like a very heavy coat?

Foodwise i have just being buying 'felix' type packets, foil packs, feeding 2 per day is that about right? I also add dry catfood.

My big question is litter. Whats good. I've tried the clay/clump i hate that. I've tried Catsan, its not bad. I tried local co-op grit, it works. I've now got a mix of grit and clay stuff. Which is the most efficient in suppressing smell, and which are easier that katpee klay to clean.

sorry, didnt realise I had so many questions

Don't worry too much, cats are pretty independent animals and can look after themselves pretty well.

It sounds like she has taken to you anyway (following you around), a scratching post will save the furniture, clean water everyday and food (if you are feeding her wet food she won't drink much water).

If she is quite an old cat once settled she'll find the warmest comfiest place and sleep there most of the time anyway. A couple of toys will keep her interest as well.

You can get special brushes for long haired cats and they will need brushing a couple of times a week, short haired cats need a lot less.

Before I got a cat flap I used catsan, seemed to be easiest to keep clean and kept the smell down, any litter will end up out of the tray not much you can do about that.

As long as she is eating and sleeping and following you around there's nothing to worry about, just enjoy the kitteh experience, it can be very therapeutic. :)

For the OP, one bit of advice on the food, try mixing a different brand in slowly and wean your cat onto something more affordable (80% Zooplus with 20% budget brand, then 70-30, 60-40, 50-50, 40-60, 30-70, till eventually 100% budget brand over a few weeks), unless your cat is a furry dustbin like mine they can be very fussy and will often reject a straight change of food. Plus make sure you are getting all the benefits you and your partner are entitled too.
  • Options
    lightonmyfeetlightonmyfeet Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wythrol wrote: »

How do you care for cats? Wythrol you seemed to have described the way to do it. You have provided this cat with regular food and secure environment, and she seems to be benefiting from your care. It can't have been an easy time for you, and taking on a cat, when you say yourself you are not a cat person, is an added burden, but I would urge you to stick with it. At 16 the cat cannot have many years left and it is nice that she is looked after by you. I won't comment on the previous care as this relates to your mother and I do not want to say anything that may be disrespectful, but I would suggest that her following you is a sign of confidence in you as an owner and wanting to be near. Cats tend to sleep and do their own thing, but they do need to know they have security, she is still finding her way with you. As for the feeding, well 2/3 pouches plus biscuits seems about right, make sure she has water available too.

She will shed fur, this is normal and if not groomed by you she may get fur-balls due to licking up her fur, so I would advise brushing her once or twice a week (I would advise a brush rather than a comb, I tend to only use combs if i am looking for fleas) when she is relaxing. As for litter, I prefer the white catsan stuff as it does seem to minimise odours, but again go with what you think works. You can also get litter freshener to sprinkle on whenever you change the litter (I tend to scoop out every day, and have a complete change, including cleaning the box, once a week, you have to clean the box as even with fresh litter the odours will retain).

In view of her age and the sneezing that you mention a check up with a vet may be in order. If the sneezing has not got worse it may be nothing to worry about (Cats do get sneezes, and the blood may just be weak vessels disturbed by the sneezing).

Good luck with all this. Good luck to UKYana too. I can recommend the Cats Protection website as they give helpful info in their cat care leaflets that you may find helpful, they can also give advice if there is ever a need for re-homing but i hope in both your cases you do not have to do this.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKYana - I'd hold on for as long as you can. Pre-empt any problems by looking at insurance (and remember, some insurance deal directly with the vet, but many make you pay then reimburse you, less the excess) and PDSA. You don't know what the future holds - you OH could get a job tomorrow/next week/next year - before you need to worry about vet bills. If she is cat friendly and OK with dogs & kids, worst case scenario I'd be willing to look after her until you are back on your feet. We're a cat down (three seems a good cat number to me, but we aren't ready for a kitten yet so only have two right now) so there is room - physically and financially.

Wythrol - please get your kitty checked by a vet. At 16 there could be problems - shedding hair at this time of year is pretty normal (loosing winter coat) but could be a thyroid problem. You can comb and brush (and even bath) a cat as much as they let you. Wolfing food could be normal, but could be a thyroid problem. Sneezing a lot isn't normal (well, for my Layla it is, but she has her own problems due to having no nose to speak of) and blood in her snot certainly isn't.
  • Options
    WythrolWythrol Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5th Horseman and lightonmyfeet thank you very much for your advice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKYana wrote: »
    Hi all, haven't posted in here in a while as I've had a lot on, but I'm completely torn over what to do at the minute over our gorgeous little furry friend. :(

When we first got her, my partner was working and we were perfectly fine for money. Not long after we got her, his company laid him and a ton of others off, and I got a bad illness which these days leaves me housebound 99% of the time. So we are on benefits only still nearly a year later as I'm too ill to work and have a 3 year old as well to look after as well as our little kitty and my partner cannot work as I need him to look after and help me, he is my carer as well as my fiance these days.

It's got to the point now where if something happened to her, I could not afford to take her to the vet as I know it would go into the 100s and we're only just managing to keep everything going in the house i.e food for all of us [including cat] and other essentials. We don't have Sky, we don't buy games or anything we trade in others for new ones, we're with the cheapest net we could find [as we need the net for grocery shopping seeing as I can't leave the house and we don't drive or anything], we are well and truly saving as much as we can, but I think if our money situation doesn't get any better and I can't see it getting any better due to the economy, I don't think I'll be able to buy her food anymore. And it's bad enough knowing that I won't be able to take her to the vet if she for example get her leg broken or something. I feel like a bad owner, and I can't be as when my partner was working we bought her everything, got her injections and had money put away in the event of her needing to go to the vets.

I guess all I'm asking really is what should I do? Should I pass her on to a center where I know they will give her to a good home with people who are lucky enough to have their jobs still? I really can't bear getting rid of her but I'd do it if it meant she could have everything, oh god even typing it it makes me so sad. We don't even have any friends or relatives who could look after her for a while, I don't know what to do. Even the thought of her not being here is so upsetting, she's not just a pet she's also our friend. I'm so upset and I know in a way, that if she went to someone who could look after her better its the best thing but I can't bear her not being here, like I said, she's my friend as well as a pet and I love her. :cry:

Also, any trolls please don't post here, I want genuine advice rather then "u sudnt hav got her if u cnt aford her lol" and all that crap, this is really hard for me and my fiance. We've been completely torn for over 2 weeks about it now.

I am also disabled and mostly house bound although lucky as my partner is working still for the moment, I do get DLA and I.B and have social services carer who comes in everyday.

My Lucy (dog) and my cats keep me sane when I am feeling really low there is nothing like a cuddle from your bestest furriest friends.

You need your cat she is therapy.

The other posters have given you the best information, you can get help with vets fees through the RSPCA etc and also insurance. RSPCA do a pet insurance for 3.43 which covers up to 3,000 pet fees. (http://www.rspca-petinsurance.co.uk/)

So far I have never had to take any of my cats to the vets and they are all over 5 years old.

The cost of the food you are given you cat is MADNESS sorry.

You can buy 1.5kg of Tesco cat whole food chrunchies for about 1.29 PENCE!!

All my cats eat tesco pouches which cost me about 16pence a pouch each, and I mix 2 of these with the value cat chrunchie range from Tesco and they are fed twice a day and eat everything and ALL of them are very healthy.

WE MAKE our cats fussy. If they dont eat they will go hungry SIMPLE. They will soon eat when the realise you are not pandering to their fussy ways. Cats will never ever starve.

I would stop paying such a large amount on cat food and the saving will more than pay for the cat insurance.

Dont get rid of your pet things will get better and once she is gone she is gone.

I know you are on a tight budget but with help from RSPCA etc I am sure you will manage.

What about all the people who are single parents they manage with 2 dogs, cats, gerbils and many other pets.

Please reconsider you need your friend to keep you company.

I have sent you a private PM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did try leaving the food out all day and night and I tried loads of brands, Whiskas, Felix, Sheeba, about 4 shops own but she would not eat it and then get really snappy because she was hungry, I have no idea if she was getting food from elsewhere or something either.

Have explained more in PM btw about my illness.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am with an above poster on this, and I have said it before. Aldi does great pet food at a really cheap price, and it has come out tops in a lot of blind consumer tests in Germany. E.g. a big 1 kg pack is under £1, 12 pouches of wet food is something like £2.
  • Options
    summer_chicksummer_chick Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My heart goes out to you and your predicament, but it sounds like you and your partner have more than enough of what your pet really needs - love. I think you should try another food - and I do know how hard that is, see if you can reduce the amount of the one she loves and feed her cheaper stuff for the rest of the day maybe ?

I wish you the best of luck as its a dreadful position to be in, and a heartbreaking decision to have to make. I can only hope that things get better for you soon
  • Options
    quincemeisterquincemeister Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Hi

Just to say I agree with the other posters on here - you have a cat who is loved and looked after, so no need to change anything.

With regards to the food - I know where you are coming from on that one! - but could you try mixing some of the food your cat likes with a cheaper brand so you can spin it out that way?

Also might be worth trying the internet to see if you can source it elsewhere cheaper; my one cat has to have a specific medical diet and it's been a real eye opener to see how much cheaper we can get it delivered via the internet.

Worry about vet's bills if/when they happen. As other posters have said, the RSPCA and Blue Cross might be able to help, possibly the Cat's Protection League as well?, but cross that bridge when you come to it. Your local vet might be willing to agree a payment scheme, you never know.

I admire you for wanting to keep your cat. It's clear from the high number of animals being handed in that other people do not share your sense of responsibility and your care and concern has certainly restored this poster's faith in society.

All the very best to you and your family x