Options

British Gas

Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Never had a problem with BG before, so no idea how this works.

I always get my BG bill through the post every three months. Always preceded by a meter reading.

It occurred to me today that I had not had a meter reading or a bill (always early August the bill arrived)

I phoned them only to be told that I am 4 weeks in the red with my bill, and owe £48 late charges. I received no bill and no warning letter.

After pissing about for ten minutes they read me my address. It's wrong. They have been sending correspondence to this (wrong) address. :confused: 18 years I have had this address (without any problems at all) and for no reason whatsoever they now get a number wrong on my address - and the bill goes elsewhere.

The man said I need to pay the full amount (including the late fees) and then try to claim them back through their system. :eek:

Is this correct do you know?

To cap it off the meter reader was going to the wrong address (reading the meter there) and now my bill is made up using the meter reading from a totally different address.

Apparently the new bill will mirror my reading (I gave them this over the phone) but the late fees can not be removed.

48 quid is not the end of the world, but it's the principle that sits uneasy with me. This guy admitted it was their error too.

Didn't mean to be so long winded, sorry.

Comments

• Options
    hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phone them back and tell them you are seeking legal advice, as you incurred these charges through no fault of your own. If they still refuse to help and insist you must pay actually seek legal advice either through a solicitor or CAB. Unfortunately British Gas are a bunch of robbing you know whats that are do not even care about correcting their own mistakes.

They will get it sorted, but not without them blowing a lot of hot air and dragging their feet, after they do sort it, change suppliers as quickly as you can and believe me you wont have that sort of problem again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Phone them back and tell them you are seeking legal advice, as you incurred these charges through no fault of your own. If they still refuse to help and insist you must pay actually seek legal advice either through a solicitor or CAB. Unfortunately British Gas are a bunch of robbing you know whats that are do not even care about correcting their own mistakes.

They will get it sorted, but not without them blowing a lot of hot air and dragging their feet, after they do sort it, change suppliers as quickly as you can and believe me you wont have that sort of problem again.

I am on hold at the moment trying to get through to them.
    Thanks hurrikane.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    I am on hold at the moment trying to get through to them.

If they refuse to cooperate/rectify their error, this is your next port of call :

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/Energy-yourconsumerrights/DG_196251
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    If they refuse to cooperate/rectify their error, this is your next port of call :

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/Energy-yourconsumerrights/DG_196251

Thank you Yosemite, but it seems I have jumped the gun a little with this thread.:o BG have apologised and agreed to cancel the late fees. I shall receive an accurate bill within six days.

I wish they'd said that in the first place, but once I got hold of a supervisor things moved quickly. I just hope they stick to their word now.

Sorry for this (now seemingly redundant) thread. :o:)
  • Options
    hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Yosemite, but it seems I have jumped the gun a little with this thread.:o BG have apologised and agreed to cancel the late fees. I shall receive an accurate bill within six days.

I wish they'd said that in the first place, but once I got hold of a supervisor things moved quickly. I just hope they stick to their word now.

Sorry for this (now seemingly redundant) thread. :o:)

Don't be sorry, even if its now redundant for you, it could always help others in the future.
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never had a problem with BG before, so no idea how this works.

I always get my BG bill through the post every three months. Always preceded by a meter reading.

It occurred to me today that I had not had a meter reading or a bill (always early August the bill arrived)

I phoned them only to be told that I am 4 weeks in the red with my bill, and owe £48 late charges. I received no bill and no warning letter.

After pissing about for ten minutes they read me my address. It's wrong. They have been sending correspondence to this (wrong) address. :confused: 18 years I have had this address (without any problems at all) and for no reason whatsoever they now get a number wrong on my address - and the bill goes elsewhere.

The man said I need to pay the full amount (including the late fees) and then try to claim them back through their system. :eek:

Is this correct do you know?

To cap it off the meter reader was going to the wrong address (reading the meter there) and now my bill is made up using the meter reading from a totally different address.

Apparently the new bill will mirror my reading (I gave them this over the phone) but the late fees can not be removed.

48 quid is not the end of the world, but it's the principle that sits uneasy with me. This guy admitted it was their error too.

Didn't mean to be so long winded, sorry.
    They don't have any legal right to fine you for late payments in the same way that private car parks don't either, I had this with them and told them I would pay the amount I owed them only and nothing else as they don't have a right, job sorted, bill paid, late fees removed.

Edit.......... And now I read the last post.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately British Gas are a bunch of robbing you know whats that are do not even care about correcting their own mistakes.
    OP - glad you got your situation sorted but the above quote from hurrikane still stands. I can recall when they billed me a very very expensive quarterly bill when I was on a prepayment meter and no longer with their company. It took them some time to actually perceive they were in the wrong and bill was just made up.
    I hope you got the name of the supervisor and the time the call was made. I also hope they send you the apology and the details in writing so that you have something as proof if/when they go back on their word. Good luck :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't be sorry, even if its now redundant for you, it could always help others in the future.

Thank you. :)
    the chimp wrote: »
    They don't have any legal right to fine you for late payments in the same way that private car parks don't either, I had this with them and told them I would pay the amount I owed them only and nothing else as they don't have a right, job sorted, bill paid, late fees removed.

Edit.......... And now I read the last post.

Good to know, thanks chimp.

myss wrote: »
    OP - glad you got your situation sorted but the above quote from hurrikane still stands. I can recall when they billed me a very very expensive quarterly bill when I was on a prepayment meter and no longer with their company. It took them some time to actually perceive they were in the wrong and bill was just made up.
    I hope you got the name of the supervisor and the time the call was made. I also hope they send you the apology and the details in writing so that you have something as proof if/when they go back on their word. Good luck :)

:o No, I did not get the name of the supervisor myss. I'll see what comes, but if it's not resolved, I shall come back here and seek further advice. Yosemite's link is also very helpful too.