What quirky things does your cat do?

queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
Forum Member
✭✭
Every time I get water and ice from the dispenser on the fridge, Simba comes charging in like a lunatic!!:eek:

He waits for crumbs of ice to fall on the floor so he can chase it, then lick it to death.

He could be in a deep sleep, in a different room, but as soon as he hears the dispenser being used, he's off!:D

Comments

• Fizzee RascalFizzee Rascal Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patton eats the dog's bone. Much to the dog's consternation. He also eats the dog food and tries to cuddle the dog by gently headbutting her.
    The dog just looks at me with a "help me" look on her face.
  • miss_zeldamiss_zelda Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whenever someone grates some cheese the cat comes hurrying in to the room and begs for some. She loves the stuff.

She also plays this game where she goes hyper all of a sudden, running up to the cat flap, striking it with her paws and then running out of the room. Then she keeps repeating the process! It's really funny to watch.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    Wherever my Tabitha was in the house, even if in a deep sleep, she would come running as soon as she heard a tin opener because she associated it with tinned tuna which she loved. If I wanted to open a tin of baked beans I would have to wait until she was outside because I hated the disappointed look on her face if I had no tuna available for her. Now that Tabitha is no longer here, it feels strange to have the freedom to use a tin opener without checking her whereabouts :p It also feels strange not to have to stock up on tuna because my other cats aren't that keen on it.

My other cats come running when they here the rustling sound of the dreamies plastic bags. They love their treats.
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    Wherever my Tabitha was in the house, even if in a deep sleep, she would come running as soon as she heard a tin opener because she associated it with tinned tuna which she loved. If I wanted to open a tin of baked beans I would have to wait until she was outside because I hated the disappointed look on her face if I had no tuna available for her. Now that Tabitha is no longer here, it feels strange to have the freedom to use a tin opener without checking her whereabouts :p It also feels strange not to have to stock up on tuna because my other cats aren't that keen on it.

My other cats come running when they here the rustling sound of the dreamies plastic bags. They love their treats.

Dreamies and Simba are like magic. You rustle the packet and he may hear it, but he won't rush as he's not sure.

But crunch the packet, he recognises it instantly and you've never seen a cat be your best friend in a heartbeat!:D And he licks your fingers for ages after savouring the flavour.
  • Shadow70Shadow70 Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine come running for Dreamies too. I have heard you can get Dreamies advent calendars, I am tempted to get one.

The quirky thing Woody does is steal things. I call him Klepto cat. I have caught him with scissors, lids, a necklace, a key, my inhaler etc. I had to get a new inhaler once after he stole it and hid it. He is half cat, half magpie.

Like Simba, Archie knows the sound of the fridge, which is where his cat milk is kept (he will do anything for cat milk). He also knows the sound of the kettle boiling (which he equates to cat milk as I go to the fridge to get the milk for my coffee) so as soon as the kettle boils he is sitting by the fridge.

My childhood cat used to come running for the cheese grater.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow70 wrote: »
    Mine come running for Dreamies too. I have heard you can get Dreamies advent calendars, I am tempted to get one.

The quirky thing Woody does is steal things. I call him Klepto cat. I have caught him with scissors, lids, a necklace, a key, my inhaler etc. I had to get a new inhaler once after he stole it and hid it. He is half cat, half magpie.

Like Simba, Archie knows the sound of the fridge, which is where his cat milk is kept (he will do anything for cat milk). He also knows the sound of the kettle boiling (which he equates to cat milk as I go to the fridge to get the milk for my coffee) so as soon as the kettle boils he is sitting by the fridge.

My childhood cat used to come running for the cheese grater.

Awwww :D
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my cat comes running over if you open a cheesestring packet, she loves the stuff and you have to peel a piece off for her then quickly get you own before shes finished and wanting more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    One of mine knocks over her water bowl so she can see the water running down the floor. I first caught her doing this after I saw one of the bowls knocked over in my bedroom and thought it was an accident. Put it right and filled again, and there was the little monster, whacking it with her paw til it fell over again! Then stared at the rivulets of water in utter fascination!

Now I let her do it in the bathroom. It's great fun to watch.

My other baby kneads my arm and licks it as though suckling. It might be because she's half-Siamese and they're often weaned too early (they should be a couple of weeks later than other breeds, apparently). It's really sweet, but painful now that she's 2 and a half. Don't have the heart to stop her, though!
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Here are some of the cute and quirky things my little girl does.

She likes to cuddle up in bed, under the duvet with her head on the pillow.

She also loves cheese and butter, but won't drink milk. If I have cheese on toast, I have to cut a corner off for her.

If it's raining when she looks out of her cat flap (in the back door), she will nag to be let out of the front door, because the weather must be better out that way. Every time, she acts so disgruntled that it isn't.

When I'm watering the back garden in the summer, she'll watch what I'm doing, and then suddenly run under the watering can and get upset when she gets wet.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My cat does the same with tins of any sort even if he is upstairs sleeping. I always found it weird but it must be the tuna thing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My current cat comes running down the road when she sees me coming. It's really quite sweet - her tail is in the air and she is meowing, then she runs along behind me to the front door!

I had a cat now deceased that loved Ethel Merman. Whenever I had on a Broadway cd and the song 'Everything's Coming Up Roses' came on, she would come running from wherever, even if she had been sleeping, and start meowing and rubbing herself on things with her back arched. Could never quite figure that one out, must have been something in the voice she liked. Was a proper party trick though - friends coming over would always play that song just to watch her do this!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    I have a cat that loves mirrors and laser pens.

She still can't understand mirrors after nearly 2 years and thinks it her friend! :)
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    I found a piece of pizza behind my sofa last night when I was looking for one of my cats who was hiding because she was spooked by a neighbour's house party (cats have amazing hearing because I could hardly hear anything until I opened the doors). I never eat pizza - and no one's been in my house recently who has had pizza. :confused:

I have no idea where it came from but I did find a piece of pizza on my decking a couple of weeks ago too. :D
  • FCUKFCUK Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my cats Shelly, is SOOOOO vocal and will meow at anything and everything. She also sometimes galops rather then run like a cat.

Heidi my other cat, doesn't moew...but grunts kinda. I've never seen this before and she sounds like a tiny lion that grunts and roars slightly. And sometimes she tries to 'meow' but no sound comes out and you just see her mouth opening and shouting lol. We thought her vocal chords or something were damged, but vets said it's just her way and nothing was wrong. But both cats come running and literally apear from nowhere when there hear me opening a Dreamies treats bag. It doesn't work with any other treats, it's like dreamies have their own sound. And like the advert says...cats literally come running for them.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    my kitten is about 4mths old but thinks she's rocky marciano - if a cat comes in the garden she's down on her belly ready to attack but hasnt yet got the guts to launch, she also batters all her toys and plays really rough but with me and the family is quite gentle. another thing she does is eat her food at the front of her dish then look at me to turn it round for her.

love my cat - if anyone lives alone i'd definitely recommend one for company
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    HollyC wrote: »
    Here are some of the cute and quirky things my little girl does.

She likes to cuddle up in bed, under the duvet with her head on the pillow.

She also loves cheese and butter, but won't drink milk. If I have cheese on toast, I have to cut a corner off for her.

If it's raining when she looks out of her cat flap (in the back door), she will nag to be let out of the front door, because the weather must be better out that way. Every time, she acts so disgruntled that it isn't.

When I'm watering the back garden in the summer, she'll watch what I'm doing, and then suddenly run under the watering can and get upset when she gets wet.

Oh, she sounds adorable! Especially re the cat-flap and watering can. Loon!
    Forum Member
    zela wrote: »
    Oh, she sounds adorable! Especially re the cat-flap and watering can. Loon!

Thank you :) She is utterly adorable and a complete loon!

Another thing she does - when she sleeps with me, she insists on sleeping on the outside of the bed (it is up against a wall). In the morning, I have to climb out of bed round her, because she pretends to be asleep. It is uncanny how as soon as I am out of bed, she wakes up and jumps down :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »
    my kitten is about 4mths old but thinks she's rocky marciano - if a cat comes in the garden she's down on her belly ready to attack but hasnt yet got the guts to launch, she also batters all her toys and plays really rough but with me and the family is quite gentle. another thing she does is eat her food at the front of her dish then look at me to turn it round for her.

love my cat - if anyone lives alone i'd definitely recommend one for company

Our Simba is the same age and does the same thing. So, so cute.

As for dish, we stopped turning it around, he gave up in the end and managed all by himself.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FCUK wrote: »
    One of my cats Shelly, is SOOOOO vocal and will meow at anything and everything. She also sometimes galops rather then run like a cat.

Heidi my other cat, doesn't moew...but grunts kinda. I've never seen this before and she sounds like a tiny lion that grunts and roars slightly. And sometimes she tries to 'meow' but no sound comes out and you just see her mouth opening and shouting lol. We thought her vocal chords or something were damged, but vets said it's just her way and nothing was wrong. But both cats come running and literally apear from nowhere when there hear me opening a Dreamies treats bag. It doesn't work with any other treats, it's like dreamies have their own sound. And like the advert says...cats literally come running for them.
    Dreamies are truly magic! His ears come alive....:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bored_ben wrote: »
    I have a cat that loves mirrors and laser pens.

She still can't understand mirrors after nearly 2 years and thinks it her friend! :)

Awwwwww :)
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of our cats gives his paw on command. They both put their heads down for a kiss on the top of their heads, when you say 'kiss'. One of them likes so adjust his bowls before he eats, so that they're in a diagonal position (or whatever angle he prefers).

They both play pat a pat with their reflection in mirrors and windows (or that's what it looks like).

Our old cat, who sadly died, used to say 'hello' when he came into a room. He always made two sounds, ending with a high up meow.
  • Shadow70Shadow70 Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love reading these, cats are so funny.
    HollyC wrote: »
    Another thing she does - when she sleeps with me, she insists on sleeping on the outside of the bed (it is up against a wall). In the morning, I have to climb out of bed round her, because she pretends to be asleep. It is uncanny how as soon as I am out of bed, she wakes up and jumps down :rolleyes:
    Shadow likes to sleep on the side of the bed closest to the door, so I have to get out the other side and walk round. I tried moving the bed, but he still positions himself between me and the door.
    I found a piece of pizza behind my sofa last night...
    My sister's cat brought them home a chicken leg once. He was very proud of what he had "caught"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    All of your cats sound lovely and a bit loony :rolleyes:

I have a ginger cat who loves jabbing her claws into the curtains when someone stands on the other side and she climbs all the way then just swings like a monkey.....lol :)
    Forum Member
    queenshaks wrote: »
    Dreamies are truly magic! His ears come alive....:D

My baby girl only goes bonkers for the cheese ones - she likes the others, but sometimes it feels like she is doing me a favour my eating them!!
    Shadow70 wrote: »
    I love reading these, cats are so funny.

Shadow likes to sleep on the side of the bed closest to the door, so I have to get out the other side and walk round. I tried moving the bed, but he still positions himself between me and the door.

My sister's cat brought them home a chicken leg once. He was very proud of what he had "caught"

Your cat is called Shadow, and co-incidentally mine is called Holly. What are the odds on that? ;)

My old cat Chessie during his life time caught an egg shell, a used tea bag and a yellow rubber cat head (many months later, we found out that it belonged to our neighbour's dog!)

The chicken leg made me laugh - I can just imagine someone going to eat their dinner and half of it is missing :D
    Wild-Child wrote: »
    All of your cats sound lovely and a bit loony :rolleyes:

I have a ginger cat who loves jabbing her claws into the curtains when someone stands on the other side and she climbs all the way then just swings like a monkey.....lol :)

This also made me laugh - I can imagine you get through a lot of curtains :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat loves having his head rubbed where his fur is being rubbed the wrong way. He goes all dreamy. :D