Unrequited love with a friend.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello,

I recently plucked up the courage to tell my friend how I feel about him.However I was beaten to it by someone telling him.Anyway he said he was shocked that I liked him and that he felt guilty he did not feel the same.What does this mean?

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does this mean?

It means exactly what it means - he does not feel the same way. There's no hidden meaning here - it's exactly what it says on the tin unfortunately.

You have to decide how you're going to move forward from this - maintaining the friendship will be tricky, but not impossible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It means exactly what it means - he does not feel the same way. There's no hidden meaning here - it's exactly what it says on the tin unfortunately.

You have to decide how you're going to move forward from this - maintaining the friendship will be tricky, but not impossible.

He said he felt really guilty about it I don't know why he would?
  • Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe he thinks that -- he hopes this 'not fancying you in that way' won't harm the friendship that you have....

If you want to stay friends with him, then you are going to have to get past the 'being in love with him' - and stick to the great friends....... or else you will push him away.....
  • Doctor_DonnaDoctor_Donna Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Guilty as he doesn't feel the same way and doesn't want to hurt you? Maybe he thinks he's given you the wrong signals somehow and feels guilty? It sucks, I've been there, so know what you are feeling
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member

Because he's a friend and doesn't want to hurt you which you having unrequited feelings for him could. He feels guilty because if he felt the same way you wouldn't get hurt.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think Doctor_Donna has summed it up well - he probably feels guilty because he likes you as a friend but he's been giving you the wrong idea and he doesn't want to hurt your feelings.

I'll say it again - there really is no hidden meaning here, so don't try looking for one.

But you do need to decide if you want to try and move past it and stay friends or just draw a line under it, chalk it up to experience and move on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathh70 wrote: »

No He completely back stabbed one of my friends at work really put me off him its like he changed overnight.

Its about my other friend who I met out the blue recently (Knew him for years and years)
  • Doctor_DonnaDoctor_Donna Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Doctor_Donna has summed it up well - he probably feels guilty because he likes you as a friend but he's been giving you the wrong idea and he doesn't want to hurt your feelings.

I'll say it again - there really is no hidden meaning here, so don't try looking for one.

But you do need to decide if you want to try and move past it and stay friends or just draw a line under it, chalk it up to experience and move on.

Shucks thanks :p

I totally agree you need to decide whether you can stay friends or if you need to walk away. If you do stay friends you may always be thinking maybe he'll change his mind and looking for hidden signals that he feels more than he's letting on - and thats not fun. Sometimes walking away is the best thing however hard it seems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shucks thanks :p

I totally agree you need to decide whether you can stay friends or if you need to walk away. If you do stay friends you may always be thinking maybe he'll change his mind and looking for hidden signals that he feels more than he's letting on - and thats not fun. Sometimes walking away is the best thing however hard it seems.

i think i can stop friends it will be awkward and i will always want more and i am the type to try and change his mind its like i love the thrill of the chase.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can't have made it clearer he doesn't feel the same way though - you can't force him to fancy you when he doesn't. if you try to change his mind, you may well lose his friendship for good.