EE from Day One

15678911»

Comments

• dayne14dayne14 Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    You're right Michelle is somewhat beyond her years.
    Forum Member
    short review as my computer deleted the lot. Angie looks better but Den looks shocked to see her back. Nick's back and causing trouble, but it was a joy to see June Brown's Acting skill. Poor Kelvin and his mixed bag of results, but there's always a solution. Ian looked confused when he realised he was the baby's cousin. And we also learnt that Liverpool is somewhere foreign!

Sharon coming onto Lofty was a bit creepy.

P.S. I have a job interview Thursday. I have a tendency to babble a bit, any tips on when I should shut up, or say more?
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dayne14 wrote: »
    short review as my computer deleted the lot. Angie looks better but Den looks shocked to see her back. Nick's back and causing trouble, but it was a joy to see June Brown's Acting skill. Poor Kelvin and his mixed bag of results, but there's always a solution. Ian looked confused when he realised he was the baby's cousin. And we also learnt that Liverpool is somewhere foreign!

Sharon coming onto Lofty was a bit creepy.

P.S. I have a job interview Thursday. I have a tendency to babble a bit, any tips on when I should shut up, or say more?

Just answer their questions clearly and concisely - and pause before answering: it lets them know you're thinking about their questions.

Only say more if they ask you to expand or elaborate on something you've said.

And mention how well you get on with people - very often employers are concerned with how someone's going to fit in with the workforce as much as how well they can do the job.

Good luck.
  • kingcnutkingcnut Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love the old episodes. They never have been able to recapture Angie and Den (no matter how hard they tried). Even the kids were funny and not annoying and there are some nice scenes where Pauline wasn't miserable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    ive been watching since day one :eek: :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    king**** wrote: »
    Love the old episodes. They never have been able to recapture Angie and Den (no matter how hard they tried). Even the kids were funny and not annoying and there are some nice scenes where Pauline wasn't miserable.

Pauline was quite good fun in the early days.
  • kingcnutkingcnut Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the current writing team need to watch these episodes. LN has gone on about taking the show back to its roots, but do they really remember what they are? Obviously things have to change to stay contemporary but that doesn't mean it has to lose its heart or backbone. They dealt with the shift in culture pretty well in the early 1990s, it's a shame they have let things slide and have resorted to sensationalism in storylines...shades of brookside.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    king**** wrote: »
    I think the current writing team need to watch these episodes. LN has gone on about taking the show back to its roots, but do they really remember what they are? Obviously things have to change to stay contemporary but that doesn't mean it has to lose its heart or backbone. They dealt with the shift in culture pretty well in the early 1990s, it's a shame they have let things slide and have resorted to sensationalism in storylines...shades of brookside.

Worrying shades of Brookside.

Like EastEnders, early Brookside offered strong, character-centred drama, with characters we could relate to and care about.

Latterly it became obsessed with sensationalist storylines, the aim of which was to 'shock and awe'. In the end we cared about neither the stories nor the characters.

EastEnders hasn't gone entirely down that route yet, but there have been more than a few nods in that direction.
    Forum Member
    gboy wrote: »
    Worrying shades of Brookside.

Like EastEnders, early Brookside offered strong, character-centred drama, with characters we could relate to and care about.

Latterly it became obsessed with sensationalist storylines, the aim of which was to 'shock and awe'. In the end we cared about neither the stories nor the characters.

EastEnders hasn't gone entirely down that route yet, but there have been more than a few nods in that direction.

Hi everyone, welcome King**** and thank you gboy, for your advice re the job, which ironically enough is with the BBC. Yes I too, don't think that LN and many of her predecessors, really under stood what the backbone of the show is or was and worryingly are chasing ratings, which is ironic as overights barely mean much now.

I will say something controversial now and say that I believe the last EP to 'get it' in the main was Louise Berridge. In the main she told stories that whilst controversial (Kat / Zoe / Harry and Mo / Trevor) needed to be told. Even bringing Den back, wasn't as silly as made out by many as we never I believe, see him die first time round. Bringing Den back was part of trying to restore some of the original dynamic, I feel.
  • IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't find any of the old episodes, they used to be on youtube (episodes 1-55 I think) I was on the cot death ep
    Forum Member
    Hi IanMandy, Hi Everyone,

See post #244 for a link to the episodes that the BBC hold for 1985. Sorry I've not been around, had the interview which I did not get, some now resolved personal issues. And I've not been feeling very well. My disability doesn't help that though. Hope to get back into it tomorow though.
    Forum Member
    Probably had the worst couple of weeks of my life, but I'd rather forget abou that with our Walford Residents, so here goes -

Nick might be many things but even I don't think he was involved in the break in on this occasion. I can't help but keep finding the idea of Ian knitting hugely entertaining. And they got no idea. Why when Lou says 'fiddling' did it sound dirty? The acting between AD and LG is great even amongst boxes! Will Sharon leave Lofty alone. I see Nick is as ever the racist. DS Quick is great fun. Given what happens it's funny the Baby has Den as a godparent. Is that Winston's music stall? Love the frighteners being put on Dot. Mopey Michelle returns. Sooo, turns out Pauline was a real goer!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its such a shame that David Scarboro left so unexpectedly but I've noticed some plot points that seem to have meant for Mark but have transferred to other characters. For example, it's hinted that Mark fancied Sharon but since he left, all of a sudden and totally out of the blue, Ian fancies Sharon! (Well, he's always had a thing for blondes!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dayne14 wrote: »
    Probably had the worst couple of weeks of my life, but I'd rather forget abou that with our Walford Residents, so here goes -

Nick might be many things but even I don't think he was involved in the break in on this occasion. I can't help but keep finding the idea of Ian knitting hugely entertaining. And they got no idea. Why when Lou says 'fiddling' did it sound dirty? The acting between AD and LG is great even amongst boxes! Will Sharon leave Lofty alone. I see Nick is as ever the racist. DS Quick is great fun. Given what happens it's funny the Baby has Den as a godparent. Is that Winston's music stall? Love the frighteners being put on Dot. Mopey Michelle returns. Sooo, turns out Pauline was a real goer!

Nick was an interesting character in the early days - a lot less panto than the Nick of old (can we really image the racist, violent thug we love to hate would years later go on to hold the cafe hostage with a broken chair leg...?).

DS Quick was also an interesting character, who later goes on to have a fling-ette with Debbie. Years later Douglas Fielding, who played DS Quick, returned to EastEnders to play a private detective hired by Steve Owen; I always liked to think he was still the same character (Quick later leaves the police force after Debbie drops him), now working as a private eye...

Yes, the energy and chemistry between Anita Dobson and Leslie Grantham is electric - for me at least they made EE very watchable in the early days. Years later I worked with Anita Dobson, and she was lovely.
    IanMandy wrote: »
    Its such a shame that David Scarboro left so unexpectedly but I've noticed some plot points that seem to have meant for Mark but have transferred to other characters. For example, it's hinted that Mark fancied Sharon but since he left, all of a sudden and totally out of the blue, Ian fancies Sharon! (Well, he's always had a thing for blondes!)

It was tragic what happened to David Scarboro - hopefully TV companies are now able to better protect their performers from the wilder excesses of the kind of gross press intrusion that David Scarboro underwent.

I certainly think storylines intended for Mark were given to other character, until the arrival of one Simon 'Wicksy' Wicks...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    Nick was an interesting character in the early days - a lot less panto than the Nick of old (can we really image the racist, violent thug we love to hate would years later go on to hold the cafe hostage with a broken chair leg...?).

DS Quick was also an interesting character, who later goes on to have a fling-ette with Debbie. Years later Douglas Fielding, who played DS Quick, returned to EastEnders to play a private detective hired by Steve Owen; I always liked to think he was still the same character (Quick later leaves the police force after Debbie drops him), now working as a private eye...

Yes, the energy and chemistry between Anita Dobson and Leslie Grantham is electric - for me at least they made EE very watchable in the early days. Years later I worked with Anita Dobson, and she was lovely.

It was tragic what happened to David Scarboro - hopefully TV companies are now able to better protect their performers from the wilder excesses of the kind of gross press intrusion that David Scarboro underwent.

I certainly think storylines intended for Mark were given to other character, until the arrival of one Simon 'Wicksy' Wicks...

I also heard that Mark was supposed to get a motorbike and this was eventually given to 'Chelle