Options

Inverdale

2»

Comments

• Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With some people refusal to let this go even though the lady herself has just says to me we are teaching todays kids that an apology doesn't actually mean anything , by calling for heads all the time we are saying there is actually no point saying sorry any more and learning from mistakes.
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Alan Green can remain employed by the BBC after some of the comments he's made, then John Inverdale has nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,097
    Forum Member
    He made a mistake, he apologised, the apology has been accepted, it's time to move on.

Yes, he did something wrong, and it was magnified because it was in a public situation rather than just a comment between 2 mates down the pub, but he's done all he can to apologise and move on.

It's not right what he said, but he doesn't need to be sacked for it or never hired by anyone again.

He'll learn his lesson and he won't make the same mistake again (all being well).

It should've been the end of it the moment he apologised and the apology was accepted. I see absolutely no reason for the discussion to continue, nor for him to be fired. Simple as that basically.
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Inverdale is a fine sports broadcaster, one of the best out there.

Yes, he made a mistake, and it was a rather cringeworthy one. But 'live' broadcasting is difficult, and we're talking about just one mistake by Inverdale within a solid two weeks of live broadcasting day after day. Let's get this in perspective.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Are the Loose Women all still in jobs? They revel in sexist nonsense for five days a week without anybody fluttering an eyelash. However, a bloke does it and he should be sacked? An appalling level of hypocrisy here folks.

Is that show still going? I don't watch it - I don't like sexism whether its from women or men. I've never found it particularly funny, it makes me cringe a bit, somewhat like Jeremy Kyle I suppose.

I do think its unfair if women are somehow allowed to insult men for their looks and do the same only regarding men, yet if its a man talking about a woman then they may face some strong disciplinary action. Isn't it women who have fought for equal rights? it doesn't seem very equal in a way.

I'd rather people didn't insult others because of their looks point blank, no matter which gender is speaking about which but thats probably seriously wishful thinking. Getting the sack due to one particular comment seems a bit harsh, particularly if said person has apologised. I think that if they were sacked, thats not necessarily going to change their opinion that caused so much offence, they might well still think the same thing about the tennis player, so really would sacking them have achieved in that regard? in an ideal world, we should be trying to instill in people that looks aren't that important, that people should be valued for more than that and all the rest of it. Thats probably what annoys me more than anything else, that the media (especially the press - Heat magazine etc.) seem so obsessed with judging celebrities by their looks, or moreso by highlighting when their 'lucky enough' to catch a snap of someone *shock horror* without makeup or on a 'bad hair day' or even with the dreaded cellulite :rolleyes: oh brother...(!) and in that case, its often women buying the magazines to read about other womens 'bad hair days'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    as his comments re Marion Bartoli were unacceptable; it's not a case of sexism - I do not go along with any of the 'isms' or political correctness, it's just plain rudeness & utter bad manners.

Nail on the head, completely agree.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Are the Loose Women all still in jobs? They revel in sexist nonsense for five days a week without anybody fluttering an eyelash. However, a bloke does it and he should be sacked? An appalling level of hypocrisy here folks.

I'm going to generalize here somewhat but many feminists who are outraged by these types of comments would not defend a man. Why? Because they aren't interested in equality they're only interested in pushing their own world view.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sale tonight:

"BBC broadcaster John Inverdale is expected by those inside the Corporation to be removed from their coverage of next year’s Wimbledon...............

Now it seems Inverdale, who will still host the BBC’s Six Nations programming, is finally going to be disciplined by missing out on Wimbledon.

A BBC spokesperson said: ‘John is certainly part of BBC Sport’s team for a very busy summer. Our final plans for 2014 will be announced in due course.’"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2511424/John-Inverdale-facing-Wimbledon-axe-BBC--CHARLES-SALE.html#ixzz2lKhzxmCs
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    jak frostjak frost Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Vile thread.

Good ol' hyperbole running amok at DS...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Sale tonight:

"BBC broadcaster John Inverdale is expected by those inside the Corporation to be removed from their coverage of next year’s Wimbledon...............

Now it seems Inverdale, who will still host the BBC’s Six Nations programming, is finally going to be disciplined by missing out on Wimbledon.

A BBC spokesperson said: ‘John is certainly part of BBC Sport’s team for a very busy summer. Our final plans for 2014 will be announced in due course.’"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2511424/John-Inverdale-facing-Wimbledon-axe-BBC--CHARLES-SALE.html#ixzz2lKhzxmCs
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Assuming this turns out to be accurate, seems like a very different culture at the BBC under Tony Hall.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    I hope this is something like him being stood down for a year as a punishment rather than permanently dropping him from Wimbledon.

A punishment of some sort is more than deserved though.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like a job for Gabby Logan, if she isn't in Brazil at the time.

She would be perfect for the nightly BBC2 highlights show, having presented the same type of show at the Olympics.
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    It sounds like a job for Gabby Logan, if she isn't in Brazil at the time.

She would be perfect for the nightly BBC2 highlights show, having presented the same type of show at the Olympics.

It would also have been a job for Clare Balding - until the "all-new Channel 4 Racing" came along; she was not part of the Five Live coverage this year.

Off-topic, but going back to Gabby Logan, if she's in Brazil doing the role she did in South Africa in 2010 and Euro 2012 - being "their person in the England camp" - then going forward, the BBC would need a dedicated touchline reporter - their equivalent of Gabriel Clarke at ITV - when they start showing live FA Cup matches again from autumn next year.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope this is something like him being stood down for a year as a punishment rather than permanently dropping him from Wimbledon.

A punishment of some sort is more than deserved though.

Agreed, the fact that he remains part of the BBC's plans for next summer suggests to me that he will eventually be back at Wimbledon. It doesn't hurt that Marion Bartoli has now retired, this way everyone won't be hanging on every word he says the way they would be if he was discussing one of the matches.

Hopefully if they do have him miss the tournament next summer he will return in 2015, he is generally very good at whatever he hosts.
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,860
    Forum Member
    Just as long as its not Bacon!

If Mike Ingham retires after the WC Final, I'd love him to return to general presentation, he was very good and would be a great anchor on Wimbledon
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being insufferably rude to a man (liam treadwell) didn't do Clare Balding much harm.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, all I'm saying is Sky demonstrated a zero tolerance policy towards sexist behaviour, the BBC haven't. You can draw your own conclusions from that.

And you would be wrong
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And you would be wrong

nah, check your facts mate.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

You should check yours. The facts in your original post is not the full story. You have already been corrected on the previous page.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jake lyle wrote: »
    You should check yours. The facts in your original post is not the full story. You have already been corrected on the previous page.;)

No? Please don't waste my time like this. You're wasting yours as well.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have. I simply choose not to draw your erroneous conclusions "mate" ;)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inverdale is one of the best all-round broadcasters the BBC has got. As others have said, he made a mistake live on air (even if there was an element of truth in what he said), made and apology and it was accepted. Let's move on. It would be a shame to lose him.