Options

Real Madrid & Barcelona unveil stadium expansion plans

ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
Forum Member
Last week Real Madrid revealed a model of their proposed new-look Santiago Bernabeu which is to radically change the exterior of the stadium as well as including a retractable roof. There's talk that the capacity could also rise to around 91,000. See a visualisation HERE. The project is expected to cost around €400m (£330m).

Read more HERE.

Barcelona also unveiled their plans to develop the Camp Nou. See what it will look like HERE. They'll also be building a retractable roof. The capacity will rise to 105,053 and the whole project is expected to cost around €600m but €150m of that will be paid for by selling naming rights. Work should begin in 2017.

Read more HERE.

Just thinking of what some members have said in the past about the gap in La Liga. This is probably a great illustration of that. Both clubs have said they want to have "the best stadium in the world" so there's obviously a bit of competition going on. I have to say both look great but I'm a little confused about why Barcelona are increasing their capacity. They only currently sell out for El Clasico matches and average around 72,000 for league games.

Comments

• Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vanity projects. It's why I say that if Atletico Madrid win the league, it'll be the best thing that's happened to La Liga in years.
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    I've never been to the Bernabeu, but Camp Nou is definitely in need of some modernisation. whether it needs to cost as much as it will is another matter.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see why they need expensive retractable roofs, Spain being well know for it's inclement weather!

Joking aside, maximising your match-day revenues is going to become ever more important under FFP rules so this sort of redevelopment is going to become common. Liverpool will be announcing their plans for Anfield before the end of the season. City will need to expand the Etihad while Spurs & Chelsea need to do something, most likely move. I would be interested how the Spanish clubs are financing their developments.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    I would be interested how the Spanish clubs are financing their developments.

Free money from their government?
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    Why Barcelona have decided to increase capacity is beyond me. Refurb yes, the Camp Nou is looking extremely rough around the edges, but they don't need more seats.
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    If you can't build your own island resort for €1 billion then i suppose bulking up their own stadium was the next plan

A more realistic plan for Barca to compete with too
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they will also be used for different events?

I do think this is something clubs with big grounds will look at in the future
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    Free money from their government?

I don't think the Spanish govt. has any money!

Maybe those nice Germans would be willing to give them some more Euros'.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Pee wrote: »
    I've never been to the Bernabeu, but Camp Nou is definitely in need of some modernisation. whether it needs to cost as much as it will is another matter.

The cost thing is puzzling me a bit, hundreds of millions spent just increasing the capacity by 10-15k, i've never been to the Nou Camp but looking at it on TV it does look in need of renovation.

Would it be cheaper to demolish the currant stadiums & rebuild them?
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    The cost thing is puzzling me a bit, hundreds of millions spent just increasing the capacity by 10-15k, i've never been to the Nou Camp but looking at it on TV it does look in need of renovation.

I visited the Nou Camp in 2007 and thought the interior was mind blowing, very luxurious I felt, the exterior not so much
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever happened to the DS Superfan posse that supported Barca and Real? You couldn't move for plastic fans waxing lyrical about chavvy & biscuits but now there's nothing about them at all.:confused:
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member

Real Madrid seem to be going about it in a better way. They're including a shopping centre and a hotel inside the stadium which will apparently have direct views of the pitch, as well as an underground car park. Whereas Barcelona seem to be simply spending hundreds of millions to increase capacity and modernise the interior of the stadium a bit by installing new lifts and escalators.
  • Options
    KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In other news, Bayern Munich are going to expand their stadium capacity from 71,000 to 75,000 this summer, simply by installing a couple more seats under the roof. :D
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And everyone's favourite whingers West Ham are moving from a 35,000 seat stadium to a 54,000 seat stadium.

Will they find the extra fans to fill those seats? The present ground is certainly well filled on match days (34,720 average for Premier league matches last season).
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member

The main problem with the Camp Nou is it's falling to bits. Compare the seating areas to somewhere like Old Trafford and there is a huge difference.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    Re the roofs, Spain can be a very wet place in winter and early to mid Spring - the rain is often heavy, compared to UK drizzle.

I guess both stadium upgrades will involve putting in lots more corporate facilities, so although the overall capacities will only increase slightly, the matchday income will dramatically rise.

It would be great to see some more UK stadiums increasing their capacities - Old Trafford would be a monster if MUFC extended the 4th side: http://i21.tinypic.com/vealgz.jpg
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »

It would be great to see some more UK stadiums increasing their capacities - Old Trafford would be a monster if MUFC extended the 4th side: http://i21.tinypic.com/vealgz.jpg

The adjacent railway line and houses beyond it are a major problem though and would make it an extremely expensive project hard to justify by the anticipated additional income. Having trains rumbling under the stand might not be attractive to many people (though they could possibly re-route the railway line by demolishing the houses on railway road). And if it's a matter of new stand or new World Class midfielder, I know what would win that battle so I think it just won't happen.