Options

Another Dog kills a child

Comments

• Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was saddened to hear about this. Unfortunately we will continue to have these kind of tragedies if owners of dogs continue to treat their pets as one of the family. Dogs are not like us and are animals who need to be told who is the master and who is the pet.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GibsonGirl wrote: »
    At least I'm not full of arrogance!

Au contraire
  • Options
    jackie_Fletcherjackie_Fletcher Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What you are saying is that nasty kids DELIBERATELY throwing snowballs isn't something to be concerned about? That they won't escalate to throwing stones and bricks off bridges and into oncoming traffic? Those are the types of kids that are responsible for such deplorable things. The woman I spoke to had the snowball thrown at her more that two years ago and she STILL had tinnitus. That in itself is something that can cause depression and can render people unable to work.

As for the dangers snowballs pose. Perhaps you should Google it.

It is a pity you cannot see the other side of the argument and agree that dogs can be dangerous too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What you are saying is that nasty kids DELIBERATELY throwing snowballs isn't something to be concerned about?

As opposed to what, accidentally throwing snowballs?!?!?
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    It is a pity you cannot see the other side of the argument and agree that dogs can be dangerous too.

Dogs can be dangerous, but no were near as dangerous as people. But large dogs are no more dangerous then any other dog
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was pitbull. What do you expect?
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    But large dogs are no more dangerous then any other dog

I suppose it depends on your definition of danger.

Do you at the very least agree that large dogs have a greater potential to inflict death or serious injury on a human than a small dog?

Let's not talk specifics but in general here.
  • Options
    GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was saddened to hear about this. Unfortunately we will continue to have these kind of tragedies if owners of dogs continue to treat their pets as one of the family. Dogs are not like us and are animals who need to be told who is the master and who is the pet.

None of the definitions of 'family' that I have seen in dictionaries have specified that a family must be made up of humans. My two dogs are treated like family members and are most definitely NOT disposable commodities. As for the whole 'master' 'pet' thing. Both the pack and dominance theories are being debunked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »

Do you at the very least agree that large dogs have a greater potential to inflict death or serious injury on a human than a small dog?

You do of course have a point, its all down to physics.

A vicious out of control king Charles spaniel is not going to be as life threatening as a vicious out of control 9st Rottie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of the definitions of 'family' that I have seen in dictionaries have specified that a family must be made up of humans. My two dogs are treated like family members and are most definitely NOT disposable commodities. As for the whole 'master' 'pet' thing. Both the pack and dominance theories are being debunked.

GibsonGirl are you going to answer the question about Fleas and Tapeworm or not?
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Does a person who can inflict death or serious injury to you have to be bigger than you. And what is a large dog,
  • Options
    5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does a person who can inflict death or serious injury to you have to be bigger than you. And what is a large dog,

If they are going to do it by their physical strength and jaws then being big will definitely be an advantage.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I don't see how the size or power of a dog even matters in a case like this for a 11 month old baby even the smallest breed and weakest dog will be deadly if it snaps and they are alone together.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Is this a roundabout way of saying you don't want to answer what was really quite a straightforward and simple question?

To answer yours-

-No a person does not have to be bigger than me to inflict serious injury but I'd fancy myself more against a 5ft nothing 6 stone weakling to say Mike Tyson.

-A large dog is one that is not small. If you do not know what I mean when I say large dog then perhaps a doggie debate is not the best place for you.

To make the question easier I will use the poster Pull2open's example of a Rottweiler and a King Charles Spaniel.

Are you telling me you think they have equal capacity and potential to inflict damage say to an average 5 year old child?
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fleet wrote: »
    More people die from falling off a ladder than by dogs, lets ban ladders!!
    That's a risk that people can minimise by choosing not to climb ladders. But ladders at least have some benefit when used without mishap.

It's harder to avoid other people's dogs, and usually the existence of these dogs is of no benefit whatsover to the victims. (More of a blight.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

See my post above! A person who is bigger than you if they are inclined can certainly inflict a lot more trauma. However, we are talking about dogs and therefore it is not really comparable. The power per sq inch of a rottie's bite is clearly going to cause more trauma that the power of the bite per sq inch of a king Charles spaniel.
  • Options
    Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is not a one off and despite the bad owner argument it is still the same kind of dog that ends up doing these kind of attacks. No smoke without fire and I don't believe the bad owner aspect is going to be dealt with in any effective way either so I would be happy to ban a number of different breeds regardless of the fallout with dog lovers.

The lives saved from death and injury would be worth it. There would still be a lot of choice out there for dog enthusiasts.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe there should be an IQ test before you can own a dog. The lower you score the smaller the dog.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    maybe there should be an IQ test before you can own a dog. The lower you score the smaller the dog.

I think a form of license and specific insurance would be a better way, as would compulsory attendance at a basic dog training course, but the logistics of rolling it out would be complicated to say the least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't see how the size or power of a dog even matters in a case like this for a 11 month old baby even the smallest breed and weakest dog will be deadly if it snaps and they are alone together.

Well this is why we are expanding the debate to certain breeds of dog and not specifically just on one individual case.

For the sake of argument here, let's call it a 5 year old child or a 10 year old, or sod it how about a fully grown 8 stone woman or 12 stone man?

The argument of which breeds have the potential to inflict more serious damage to humans still stands.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    This is not a one off and despite the bad owner argument it is still the same kind of dog that ends up doing these kind of attacks. No smoke without fire and I don't believe the bad owner aspect is going to be dealt with in any effective way either so I would be happy to ban a number of different breeds regardless of the fallout with dog lovers.

The lives saved from death and injury would be worth it. There would still be a lot of choice out there for dog enthusiasts.

Afaik there's not been a pit bull attack in the uk for years, they are already a banned breed, and if this was a pit bull then it's probably illegally owned,

Despite what people on this thread seem to this, staffies are not pit bulls, if you don't know the difference then it's best not to comment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »

I think this would be a good start. ;-)
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been around dogs all my life. I once had a dog that I loved and trusted until one day it attacked me for no reason and I still have the scar on my arm where he grabbed me and wouldn't let go. Luckily a family member was able to get him off me or I wouldn't be here now. Young children and dogs should never be left alone because dogs like all animals are unpredictable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think this would be a good start. ;-)

Lol, maybe just a common sense test!

I still maintian that animal management classes should be part of the curriculum, it's been proven that children that are cruel to animals often grow up to be cruel to humans, so why not provide that education at a young age, say primary school, so even those with families that don't educate thier young ones on animal care and ethics, still have the basics in place for the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have been around dogs all my life. I once had a dog that I loved and trusted until one day it attacked me for no reason and I still have the scar on my arm where he grabbed me and wouldn't let go. Luckily a family member was able to get him off me or I wouldn't be here now. Young children and dogs should never be left alone because dogs like all animals are unpredictable.

I can guarantee he didn't attack for no reason, maybe no reason you were aware of, but the will have been a. Reason and unless it was rage syndrome or similar, warning signs too. However, I do agree that it doesn't make it your fault and that no child should be left alone with a dog, big, small or otherwise.