Options

Anyone never been on a proper holiday?

Comments

• Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Some people love camping. I like areas that are very rural, places in N Wales, Lake District and Devon. There are no hotels there. Some people like to get away from it all, not spend their holidays surrounded by other people in bars.

Yes, it's great. I used to go wildcamping; basically head out onto Dartmoor or the Brecon Beacons, carrying everything I needed to stay out for a few days. Making yourself comfortable in the wild with only what you can carry is enormously satisfying. :)
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Uffa wrote: »
    These kind of holidays need money, lots of it and a lot of people are struggling just to live nowadays, never mind having luxurious holidays.

Nonsense.

We went away last year to Kefalonia in September. Cost us £500 for the whole holiday and about the same in spending money for the week since its dirt cheap there.

Some people spend that on a holiday here in the UK.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    It depends what you want out of a holiday I may be uncultured and dull but I know I enjoy being with my husband and my dogs, walking, reading, seeing parts of the country we can't see everyday, knitting and sewing in the evening, treat ourselves to different foods than we would eat at home. Peace and quiet and fresh air, no one else around for miles if we can find a remote spot.

Yes we could spend thousands and do it somewhere else but neither of us like the sun or being too hot. Neither of us would be as relaxed or enjoy ourselves as much so why would we do it.

It's odd to me being judged as lacking for being content and happy, surely that should be what we all look for in life ?

See I find your way of doing your holidays appealing in one way.
    How you describe them makes them sound so chilled out and relaxing, I think you have found what is right for you two and the dogs.
    To me being 'cultured' has nothing to do with visiting other countries and seeing the sights.
    My man is quite 'cultured' but has not been to many of the places he seems to have great knowledge of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone go cruising?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Nonsense.

We went away last year to Kefalonia in September. Cost us £500 for the whole holiday and about the same in spending money for the week since its dirt cheap there.

So true - I used to love centre parcs for a break in the UK, but it costs more than a week in the sun abroad now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See I find your way of doing your holidays appealing in one way.
    How you describe them makes them sound so chilled out and relaxing, I think you have found what is right for you two and the dogs.
    To me being 'cultured' has nothing to do with visiting other countries and seeing the sights.
    My man is quite 'cultured' but has not been to many of the places he seems to have great knowledge of.

Then I'd say he's 'well read' rather than cultured.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    Some people love camping. I like areas that are very rural, places in N Wales, Lake District and Devon. There are no hotels there.

Yes there are! So if you know The Lakes, think of Buttermere, it's remote and there's just a few houses there but it does have a hotel.

There's loads of B&Bs in The Lake District too.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh but there is!!

Walking the beautiful beach in some exotic place, eating lovely local foods while away, or swimming in the crystal blue sea at Myrtos in Kefalonia which we will be doing again in 45 days :D

http://craigmanley.com/gallery/travel/2003%20Greece,%20Kefalonia/slides/IMG_4736%20Myrtos%20beach.html

I just don't get why anyone would deprive themselves of such beauty and just be content to stick to holidaying at home. Each to their own of course :)

I'm not denying that looks beautiful but it also looks hot and sweaty and the travelling to get there would negate the relaxation I would get there as I would be worrying about coming home the entire time. I like to see my husband relax and rest on holiday this would be no holiday for him at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    My second brother hasn't travelled outside London since he was a child. He simply isn't interested.

He feels London offers everything he needs or wants. He meets people from all over the world in London. He 'travels overseas' through cinema, theatre, art exhibitions, spoken word exhibitions, festivals, street parades, restaurants and such in London. There are different types of 'London' across London. Villages, urban, industrial, business, leafy, coastal, etc. He has friends all over London. It also constantly renews itself, so what existed five years ago no longer exists today, which keeps London fresh for him.

He isn't afraid of flying, travelling or meeting people. He had travelled when he was a kid, but once he was old enough to leave home, he never left London since. He just doesn't see the point of travelling.

Which was the attitude i had as well.

I used to holiday every year twice a year with the family as a child. I never went abroad from the age of 14 till i was 34!!

Now i kick myself that i missed all those years staying in this place when i could have been off to see the world. Such a beautiful place, it's a shame to be so ignorant not to want to see any of it. That's what i think anyway!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    Then I'd say he's 'well read' rather than cultured.

Yep you are right, he says he sees it on the TV so that is good enough for him!
    I would like to see for myself personally, maybe one day I will go off a bit more to other places.

One of my kids has travelled all over the place, here and abroad.
    She travelled for about 3 years on and off before settling in one place.
    She back packed and picked up work here and there around the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not denying that looks beautiful but it also looks hot and sweaty and the travelling to get there would negate the relaxation I would get there as I would be worrying about coming home the entire time. I like to see my husband relax and rest on holiday this would be no holiday for him at all.

See i don't find the travel bad.

When we go, we travel to the airport the day before we fly out. Like in june, we fly from Manchester. Will spend the day in manchester then on to a lovely hotel near the airport. Get up and pop to the airport. We then go to one of the Airport Lounges away from the riff raff :D Nice and relaxing. Then step on the plane which i have a love of flying anyway so i love it :D Get off plane and within 50mins we are sitting in lovely bar supping a lovely cold beer.

Whole journey, 4 hours. Thats quicker than most people get to some of the holiday destinations here!!

As for the hot and sweaty, it's hard to describe, but it's not like the heat here. When its hot here it's horrid and clammy which makes you hot and sweaty. There, it's a dryish heat, so no clammyness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep you are right, he says he sees it on the TV so that is good enough for him!
    I would like to see for myself personally, maybe one day I will go off a bit more to other places.

One of my kids has travelled all over the place, here and abroad.
    She travelled for about 3 years on and off before settling in one place.
    She back packed and picked up work here and there around the world.

Sounds fab. I travelled a bit when I was younger. Lived abroad, currently in the middle east, but plenty of other places I haven't been to yet!
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone go cruising?

Going in 4 weeks. Thomson Dream around south of France and Italy. Looking forward to the whole cruise experience as well as getting to practice my French for the first time in 4 years and above all the French and Italian cuisine. Can't wait! It will be my sons first time abroad so he's gonna get to fly and cruise and see other countries all in one week. He's very excited too.
  • Options
    5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we're talking about the traditional 10 - 14 days away in the sun (or elsewhere) then no, as an adult I've never had a "holiday", ever. But then I did (and still do a little) travel a great deal with work, all over the world. The last thing I ever wanted to do on my time off was spend it anywhere near an airport, train, plane or hotel. I just wanted some quality time at home doing all the things I'd neglected by being away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See i don't find the travel bad.

When we go, we travel to the airport the day before we fly out. Like in june, we fly from Manchester. Will spend the day in manchester then on to a lovely hotel near the airport. Get up and pop to the airport. We then go to one of the Airport Lounges away from the riff raff :D Nice and relaxing. Then step on the plane which i have a love of flying anyway so i love it :D Get off plane and within 50mins we are sitting in lovely bar supping a lovely cold beer.

Whole journey, 4 hours. Thats quicker than most people get to some of the holiday destinations here!!

As for the hot and sweaty, it's hard to describe, but it's not like the heat here. When its hot here it's horrid and clammy which makes you hot and sweaty. There, it's a dryish heat, so no clammyness.
    That sounds like my idea of hell, our journey usually couple of hours a day (move around in the campervan to various areas) we just see where we fancy stopping each day, no plans no tickets or structure. And we like to visit churches and other historic things rather than bars. If I wanted to drink I would take it up at home but we are tea total and still enjoy ourselves.

Also not sure how much your hotel costs but I am betting we can do a whole weeks holiday for the cost of one night in your hotel. And no where in your plans would my dogs be happy before anyone says kennels, they don't take dogs of the size we need to accommodate they refuse to take responsibility for her.
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot imagine not going on holiday- be it here or abroad- I don't care, a change of scenery, culture, people, food, attitude. Honestly, I feel I have benefitted so much from being abroad... I'm more accepting and tolerant of other cultures... More aware of other people's needs. I now realise that the world I live in is so much vaster (is that a word?) than just London. I'm a less ignorant person for travelling... both here AND abroad.

I read a post here in which someone says their brother has never left London and thinks they have seen the world in this city due to its cultural mix. Trust me, that attitude- in reality- doesn't hold up. An immigrant in this country is different to how their natives are back home. Trust me, as my family is a mixture of "foreigners", I can vouch for that. The food is different abroad... They way they live their life is different. No amount of TV documentaries can actually show you how LOVELY the Peak District is, or the Highlands in Scotland... The lakes and rivers abroad. That brother is deluding himself, and will one day wake up and say... Gosh I have never really seen this country or the world... what a shame.

I personally find it weird how someone can go their whole life without having a break away somewhere. I don't care whether it is in this country or abroad. Just getting away from their work, their colleagues, neighbours and people that they know... For your own health you need a break. Even if it is just a couple of days.

I have a neighbour that is obsessed with upgrading her car every year. All Audis, BMWs and Mercs. Not once has she been abroad. She has never even left London except for a few times on school trips I believe. Every time my husband and I go on our breaks, which are few and far between unfortunately, she's always like "Oh I wish I could afford go there, I'm so jealous, I wish I had the money". And I'm like, well clearly you do have the money... Just stop upgrading your car every year and spend a couple of hundreds and go abroad... Or take that car of yours and drive to Dorest or somewhere... Silly cow (Although she is lovely).
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I'm not dissing going away in this country. I'm simply saying it's not a holiday and there's more to life than British beer and fryups.

In fact one place I've never been is Scotland and I've always fancied seeing the highlands and staying in a pub/inn overlooking a loch and going grouse shooting and going round a distillery before driving over and having a night in Edinburgh and checking out the culture and the nightlife. However this is something I could possibly only do for 3 or 4 days max before I'm and ready to come home. It's a short break away, not a holiday.

Spending a week in a tent or a caravan in the rain on a campsite would be my idea of hell and I guarantee I'd be bored within 5 minutes. There's only so much walking and seeing the beach and visiting the local pub that I could stand before I want something more stimulating. This is possibly why I found Cornwall the dullest place ever. Maybe it's because we live near the countryside and walking over hills and fields and being close to nature and going to a country pub for some lunch is an everyday thing for us that we don't see it as a holiday because if I want to do all that I can do it at home. My wife was brought up near the coast so going to the beach was something she did every day. Also if you're not into camping which we're not, then there isn't a lot else to do down Cornwall other than go and see the Eden Project. After 3 days I was bored of tearooms, walking about and staring at hills and wanted to move on somewhere more stimulating. On our way home we diverted via Plymouth and this was more our liking. Loads to do and see and do. Theatres, museums, music, culture, restaurants and nightlife.

BIB

I'm not a campsite camper either, its not my thing, being on a campsite for a week whilst the heavens open up all of that week probably isn't on many peoples like list

I'm more the adventurous camper, exploring the national parks trying out new activities, (not just walking over hills and sight seeing nature) etc finding new camping spots each night from a nice hike, I try to plan ahead weather wise before I go, Generally been spot on on that front. totally different to your planned campsite camping, totally different imo

Theatres, museums, culture, restaurants, hotels, nightlife holidays across the globe, is all my kind of thing too, very much so, I'm just very varied i guess, open to everything
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »
    BIB

Theatres, museums, culture, restaurants, hotels, nightlife holidays across the globe, is all my kind of thing too, very much so, I'm just very varied i guess

That's the best kind of traveler though. You are suppose to be at least a bit open minded right? I mean, how can you know what you don't like unless you experience it at least once right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we're talking about the traditional 10 - 14 days away in the sun (or elsewhere) then no, as an adult I've never had a "holiday", ever. But then I did (and still do a little) travel a great deal with work, all over the world. The last thing I ever wanted to do on my time off was spend it anywhere near an airport, train, plane or hotel. I just wanted some quality time at home doing all the things I'd neglected by being away.

10/14 days ! hard to get 5 where I work just had my September holiday refused again that 4 years in a row now.
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nonsense.

£1000 is a hell of a lot of money to some people, even those who work. Not everyone has deep pockets. regardless whether they would holiday at home or abroad. Some people simply just don't have it. But enjoy your hols. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £1000 is a hell of a lot of money to some people, even those who work. Not everyone has deep pockets. regardless whether they would holiday at home or abroad. Some people simply just don't have it. But enjoy your hols. :)

Indeed our campervan which will hopefully give us many years of holidays is costing less than that to build - much less than that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can holiday self catering to Portugal for as little as £300. And in the Algarve, public transport isn't too bad at all... So going sight seeing or just lazing about is relatively cheap. Also, if you bargain around, holidaying in the UK can still be cheaper.

I just think people either just don't have the time or cannot be bothered with doing a bit of research. I don't think I have ever spent over £1000 on holiday... and I'm not a thrifty person at all. But then each to their own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10/14 days ! hard to get 5 where I work just had my September holiday refused again that 4 years in a row now.

I was just chatting earlier (just after posting on here) to the man who read my indoor electric meter.
    He says that he now tells his team leader when he is going away rather than ask.
    He says his boss is understanding to him as two years ago his wife nearly died of a rare cancer.
    He says he comes home and his wife will tell him she had found and booked a cheap holiday so that is that.
    Very understanding workplace to allow that.
    We got chatting as I remarked on how brown he was, he told me he had been away and then the life story came out, a very nice man :)
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    lala wrote: »
    That's the best kind of traveler though. You are suppose to be at least a bit open minded right? I mean, how can you know what you don't like unless you experience it at least once right?

I agree

You also learn a lot about yourself, there are things I've done, places i've been too i never thought I'd like, but guess what, I ended up LOVING them

not saying I've intentionally planned to do things or go places i have no interest in, but when you travel or go places you stumble into unexpected experiences at times, and it can be absolutely great
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with your comments, but fair play to those who can afford whatever.
    I am sure many of us at times have had empty pockets.
    I know I sure have and even putting petrol in the car to go off to the coast with my kids (when young) was not possible.
    My three kids and myself did after a period of time get a few holidays at home and abroad, not for many a year though.